Premiere Elements 8 on what Windows computer operating system?
Essential must dos
1. Work from the 8.0.1 Update of the program obtained from the following link, not from the project's Help Menu/Updates.
2. Make sure that you have automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer disabled.
Automatic Background Rendering. See Premiere Elements 8 Editor workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General and disable that preference if it is not already disabled. Installation of 8.0.1 should automatically disable it. But, double check.
AutoAnalzyer. See Elements Organizer workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options and disable all the options under that listing.
These two features are major grabbers of computer resources and drag the program down to "unworkable".
3. Look at the problems with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled to rule in or out any influences from them.
4. Make sure your video card/graphics card driver version is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card.
5. If you have not installed the program...then, before you do, do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts), and then do the program install with antivirus and firewalls disabled.
When all considerations were taken into account, I found Premiere Element 8.0/8.0.1 to be a good version. Remember, Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 is a 32 bit application even when run in a 64 bit computer system. That has computer resource implication if you are dealing with large projects.
Please review, consider, and then we can decide what next based on the details and results in your reply.