2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2015 10:25 AM by erling_p

File extension showing up although unchecked

erling_p

I'm going to update a Book created in an earlier version than InDesign.

For each chapter the individual file name is on top of the pages inserted as a text variable.

In the old version this worked fine, but when open the the file in InDesign CC (2015) the file extension is visible although the file extension check box is not selected.

If I save the file and overwrite the original version without making any changes and the reopen the file the extension is gone! Am I missing something? Or is there a clever way to solve this other than open an save all the chapter files?

Thanks for any help

Erling

• 1. Re: File extension showing up although unchecked
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It the changes are not extensive, I would do the updating in the original version. Books (.indb) don't update to new versions all that well. If you can't do that, I would export all the files to IDML, open those and save as new .indd files that I'd add to a new .indb Book file

• 2. Re: File extension showing up although unchecked
            erling_p Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I  took the long road and updated the original versions. Funny thing happened though, I had to do it twice, as all the chapter files appeared as having been updated outside of the InDesign project?

I now have my files as I want them, apparently there is a glitch in InDesign for Books (.indb) when updating to new versions. Would be nice if Adobe InDesing team would look into this.

Erling