12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2006 4:45 AM by Necromanthus

Atmosphere and Director

Spunkweb
      Obvouisly Atmosphere has been barried (for now) and it's player is now utilized for Acrobat 3D, and I've also noticed (or, I've yet to come across it) no new version of Director (it also seems to be slowly dropping off the product lists here and there.) My question is this..

Any chance of reviving Atmosphere integrated with Director to create a seemless Metaverse viewed via a DVD title on a PC/Home Entertainment System?

The future is within your grasp Adobe. Could you image'n..
      a) being able to walk through a gallery of bloopers for Matrix 4?
      b) watching Matrix 4 with your friend in Turkey sitting on a couch in ActiveWorlds(2?)
      c) grabbing the DVD menu and spinning it around to choose a scene selection?

The possabilities are endless. :O)-

I would like to help in any Alpha/Beta versions (if any.)

Partnerships in testing/development?
        • 1. Re: Atmosphere and Director
          Americo
          Something like Atmosphere is Blink3D, beeing developed by:
          http://www.pelicancrossing.com/
          • 2. Re: Atmosphere and Director
            Necromanthus Level 2
            quote:

Originally posted by: Spunkweb
            ... I've also noticed (or, I've yet to come across it) no new version of Director (it also seems to be slowly dropping off the product lists here and there.)

Not at all.
            For the first time on 2006, Adobe is talking about Director Shockwave in their first page :
            Through December 31, owners of Director 7 and Director 8 can get Macromedia Director MX 2004 for the upgrade price of US$399.
            Also, SW3D become more and more popular day by day (> 62% current plugin popularity).
            Besides all of these, if my source is not kidding, Adobe in planning a major SW3D update on 2007.

p.s.
            With less than 3% popularity, Adobe Atmosphere has no future (in fact, for this reason Adobe has discontinued the sale and development of this product)
            • 3. Re: Atmosphere and Director
              Spunkweb Level 1
              That link you gave.. look under the product list.. no Director.

And why you put that ps in there? The very starting of my post has that fact.

The post was meant to inspire a possible direction I feel would be a good vision, not for rebuttal.

Ps. That's good to hear about the "Major Update" in 2007
              • 4. Re: Atmosphere and Director
                Necromanthus Level 2
                quote:

And why you put that ps in there? The very starting of my post has that fact.

The post was meant to inspire a possible direction I feel would be a good vision, not for rebuttal.

That PS is because "Atmosphere and Director" doesn't exist and no one is interested in this 'mixture'.
                Adobe Atmosphere is dead. Do you want to resurrect it ???
                Besides that, this forum is not the right place to "inspire a possible direction you feel would be a good vision".
                Try to contact them (the DSW development team) directly: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
                and try to show them your 'vision'.
                Who knows ?

• 5. Re: Atmosphere and Director
                  Spunkweb Level 1
                  forum = "A public meeting place for open discussion"

I would hope the Director developers would keep in touch with users by viewing the forums and I sure hope your not getting paid to discurage "open discussion."

Are new ideas not allowed here? (or should we stay in the box so as to not disrupt your narrow mind.)
                  • 6. Re: Atmosphere and Director
                    Level 7
                    To the best of my knowledge, there are no actual Adobe employees that
                    monitor (or at least post) in this forum. Back when it was Macromedia,
                    they didn't monitor it either. There are mail lists that do get some of
                    the developers attention, like Direct-L, but the Adobe folks don't post
                    much.

This forum, as well as all of the macromedia.director.* newsgroups are
                    just populated by enthusiasts, and folks who use Director a lot, none of
                    us are paid by Adobe.
                    • 7. Atmosphere and Director
                      mockworld
                      Hi Spunkweb,

The 3D capabilities for Acrobat were actually developed using techonology from Right Hemishpere (www.righthemisphere.com). Atmosphere started as 3D Anarchy developed by Attitude Software. Although nearly all of the Acrobat people went to work on Acrobat 3D, the Atmosphere technology was basically left to die.

But Adobe does plan on releasing a new version of Director sometime in 2007 ( http://www.adobe.com/products/director/special/crossproduct/faq.html#item-1-1)
                      although, they haven't publicly announced their plans for the 3D engine. Hopefully Nechromanthus' source is correct :)

Also, here is a link to some browser penetration numbers for Shockwave: http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/shockwaveplayer/ (not sure where Nechromanthus got his 62% from).

Steve
                      • 8. Re: Atmosphere and Director
                        Necromanthus Level 2
                        quote:

Originally posted by: Steve
                        here is a link to some browser penetration numbers for Shockwave: http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/shockwaveplayer/
                        (not sure where Nechromanthus got his 62% from).

I'm using the best source: MICROSOFT.
                        Adobe's statistics (generated by Millward Brown survey) is worthless (far away from the "real world" anyway).
                        The main reason is very simple: "installed" doesn't mean "used" !
                        Just two notes about Adobe's statistics:
                        1) Shockwave is much more popular than Java.
                        2) Real Player is almost dead for a long time ago.
                        Coming back to the real statistics: Shockwave had about 58% penetration 3-4 months ago.
                        Now is over 62% (and is growing fast).
                        Talking about popularity ranks, Shockwave is on the 4th place (after Flash, MPlayer and QuickTime).

cheers

• 9. Re: Atmosphere and Director
                          Spunkweb Level 1
                          Real is installed with AOL... looks about right.
                          Java did seem high, but you have to remember.. Intranet use, financial institutions, education, etc.

and.. if "installed" was the case, I would think Flash would be at the top of the list. I think those numbers are pretty realistic (pardon the pun.)
                          • 10. Re: Atmosphere and Director
                            Necromanthus Level 2
                            quote:

Real is installed with AOL... looks about right.
                            Java did seem high, but you have to remember.. Intranet use, financial institutions, education, etc.

1) the AOL browser has less than 3% popularity (check out any statistics you want).
                            In other words: insignificant !
                            2) Intranet users & financial institutions represent another insignificant "slice" of users.

You should believe (the giant) Microsoft ... pardon the pun.

p.s.
                            I think we're wasting our time with this subject.
                            bye.

• 11. Re: Atmosphere and Director
                              Little Critter Level 1
                              Very interested necromanthus

Can I have the Microsoft link about this statistic?

Thank
                              • 12. Re: Atmosphere and Director
                                Necromanthus Level 2
                                quote:

Originally posted by: Little Critter
                                Very interested necromanthus

Can I have the Microsoft link about this statistic?

Thank

It's not a link.
                                It's an article from a (monthly) MS bulletin.
                                You need to be MS Certified Partner in order to have access to all these informations.
                                Anyway, the main point here is that many statistics (including the Adobe one) are almost worthless, because the target is reduced
                                to the USA market (and maybe few other countries).
                                For this reason you cannot extrapolate the results.

cheers