3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2015 7:34 AM by A.T. Romano

I need the following project settings in Premiere Elements 13: 1024 x 768, 30.000fps 1.0 square pixel size. Can find no way to edit project settings presets.

arne37106007

^

Premiere Elements 13.1

Premiere Elments does NOT automatically set this when I add media to a project.

How to recreate the problem:

1. Create a project, select 29.7, 24 or 25 fps with widescreen resolutions like 1080p or 720p or 480 or whatever stupid preset you want.

2. Add your media with 1024 x 768 at 30.000 fps to the timeline.

3. Right click your clip and remove the "Scale to frame size".

You should see the problem now. You can also go to project settings to verify that the project settings are still the same.

This is what the documentation sais: (Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Project settings and presets)

Dynamic sequence preset

When you add a movie clip to the Expert view timeline, Adobe Premiere Elements automatically changes your project settings in the background to match the clip properties. They include dimension, fps, pixel aspect ratio, and field order.

Clip info from mediainfo:

Format                      : AVC

Format info                 : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile              : High@L2.0

Use of CABAC                : Yes

RefFrames                   : 4 frames

Codec Id                    : avc1

Codec info                  : Advanced Video Coding

Duration (ms)               : 8s 767ms

Bitrate                     : 10.8 Mbps

Bitrate maximum             : 16.6 Mbps

Width                       : 1 024 pixels

Height                      : 768 pixels

Aspect ratio                : 4:3

Framerate mode              : Constant

Framerate                   : 30.000 fps

What Premiere Elements has to say about the file:

snaggy - paste images!

Help me out here Adobe

• 1. Re: I need the following project settings in Premiere Elements 13: 1024 x 768, 30.000fps 1.0 square pixel size. Can find no way to edit project settings presets.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

arne

First this is not Adobe. This is user to user.

You are making more work for yourself than needed. What is your intended export for your Timeline source? Be that as it may for the moment.

Set the project preset manually before you import the 1024 x 768 @ 30 progressive field per second into the new project.

All you need in the Edit area monitor is a 4:3 space for your 1024 x 768 4:3 video. Edit from the monitor within that space provided by the choice of the 4:3 project preset, and then under Publish+Share/Computer/select an export category and 4:3 preset and customize the export choice under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset so that frame width = 1024, frame height = 768, ....etc.

1. Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to the Expert workspace File Menu/New/Project and follow the following instructions to set the project preset to

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 30p

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
          • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media.  In your case, the project preset is going to be the FLIP setting cited above.  OK out of there.
          • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
          • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Note: In doing all this, the default scale to frame size will be in effect. Leave it that way. Your 1024 x 768 4:3 source should automatically fill the 640 x 480 4:3 space provided by the project preset. 

The above will get you through the importing and editing steps. We will detail the export once we know more about your intent for the export.

Yes, I do know how to make a new project preset for Premiere Elements, but you do not need one.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 2. Re: I need the following project settings in Premiere Elements 13: 1024 x 768, 30.000fps 1.0 square pixel size. Can find no way to edit project settings presets.
            arne37106007 Level 1

Hi ATR, thank you for your reply, and your spare time. It is deeply appreciated.

I would like to export the video as 1024 x 768@30.000fps 4:3 without at any point having applied scaling or motion interpolation to the base footage.

Thats why I think I also want my Edit area to be 1024 x 768@30.000fps.

So I guess the reason for your arguing is that because no actual processing of the end material happens until you export the video it doesn't matter what the Edit area is like, as long sa the aspect and fps is correct.

I am wondering if not image layers, effects, motions and opaque settings are getting influenced by this.

If you know how to make a new project preset for Premiere Elements I would really like to know.

Also, if you know a way I can move my work from the project with the wrong settings over to a project with correct settings, it would be really helpful =) 

(I know I can just crop and scale my export from the other project, but that is not an very elegant solution)

And since I'm talking to an expert, what codec would you recommend using when you know you will have to encode the movie at a later stage? Is there a lossless compression that works particularly well with Adobe editing software?

• 3. Re: I need the following project settings in Premiere Elements 13: 1024 x 768, 30.000fps 1.0 square pixel size. Can find no way to edit project settings presets.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

arne

Thanks for the follow up. Still think that you should try what I suggested in post 1. Again, please rule in or out post 1 direction for the wanted end product, much easier

But....please review the following principles for creating your own project preset for Premiere Elements 13/13.1

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Project Preset with 21:9 Display Aspect Ratio

In versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 13/13.1, you could change project settings without starting a new project. This is done by editing the Notepad document of the saved closed project file (.prel). I have not found a way to apply this principle to Premiere Elements 13/13.1 because of the coding found in the Notepad document for the saved closed 13/13.1 project.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Changing Project Settings Without Starting A New Project

As for transferring Timeline content from one project to another...

a. export Timeline content of project 1 to file saved to computer hard drive and then import that import into project 2....project settings should be consistent along the route....some preferred to use a Lagarith.avi export...download and install Lagarith codec which should then be available Publish+Share/Computer/AVI under its Advanced Button/Video Tab.

b. Windows Only...use ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements for a copy/paste insert between projects

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR