37 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 6:01 AM by Eugene Tyson

Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

jonathanc15424870

Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

• 4. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

PPI is the correct term for resolution of images. PPI = Pixels Per Inch. DPI is a measurement applied to printer output -- how many dots per inch they put on the paper.

• 5. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?
            jonathanc15424870 Level 1

Thanks....I just read an article here...http://99designs.com/designer-blog/2013/02/26/ppi-vs-dpi-whats-the-difference/         My ppi is set at 762 for a jpeg in an indesign file that was created for a book cover. I just checked that in the "link info.  The commercial book printer is telling me that the "resolution" is set at 72 dpi and it needs to be at 300 dpi. Now what?

• 6. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Look at the effective resolution. That is the only number that matters.

My guess…the file is 72ppi and scaled down in InDesign. The printer sees 72 and freaks out.

Why are you sending native files, anyway? Send a PDF.

• 7. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

The effective ppi is 809 on the .indd file I have. The print-ready file that was exported from this .indd file was determined to have a 72dpi jpeg for the front book cover. I am not sending native files. I know that I have to send them a PDF and I know how to export it from indesign to PDF. Before I am charged another $40 for prepress to check my files, I would like to know if, when they get my file, are they going to say that the jpeg in the PDF is set to less than 300 dpi. Now.....since graphics programs and monitors use ppi, how does one know what dpi the printer will be saying the jpeg in the PDF is, and how can I assure that when they get the PDF, I will create from indesign, that the dpi will be 300? The ppi is 809 in my indesign file, but before I launch it on over to them for another $40, I would like to know what the "dpi" is going to look like on their end.

The original book front cover was done in photoshop and sent to a book designer who uses indesign and then exports to print-ready PDF files. The jpeg was sent to them set at 300dpi per their request. That was a transaction between my starving artist and the book designers. When I sent the cover to the new printer people they say that the image is only 72 dpi in the print-ready PDF. I now have the original application files from the original design shop and I am going over them(interior and cover) to make typo corrections as well as see what is going on with the resolution not being up to 300 dpi. So......how can the printer say that the jpeg does not have the proper dpi when the effectual ppi is most important. Is this a mix-up of terminology between the various "professionals"? I can read the ppi but how do I satisfy the printer peoples' desire for 300dpi? Or are they really meaning ppi and are just ignorant about the differences as indicated in the above article I posted?.......I am so foncused now!

• 8. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

What settings did you use to export the PDF?

In this case you can interpret the printers use of DPI to mean PPI. Lots of people don't know the difference.

• 9. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?
                    Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

First: all that matters is the EFFECTIVE resolution in ppi in InDesign. For off sett printing you will need a minimum of 224 ppi effective resolution. 300 ppi is a save margin. For digital printing 150 ppi effective is allright. Assuming your work is printed at 100% the size (so you are not for example designing on A4 but enlarge on print to A3) you are done.

Now for the PDF: export as PDF X/1a since I suspect your printer is not all that up to date (I would recommend PDF X/4 but this printer of yours may scream 'RGB! Transparency!').

If you follow this rules you can ignore the printers request for '300 dpi'. Right, a printer that says dpi not ppi... Sigh...

• 10. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So......how can the printer say that the jpeg does not have the proper dpi when the effectual ppi is most important.

When you export to PDF there are options for downsampling images with too much resolution (see Export>Compression), so it's possible to change the effective resolution of an image on export.

You can check the final resolution of an image in your exported PDF via AcrobatPro's Output Preview>Preview>Object Inspector. If you click on the image you'll get its attributes, which include the horizontal and vertical resolution.

All of Adobe's print applications refer to image resolution as pixels per inch (in Photoshop pixels per CM can be used). That is to distinguish image resolution from printer resolution (dpi), which are not the same.

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 8.29.35 AM.png

• 11. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

You haven't told us the export settings you are using.... I'm willing to bet you've exported as PDF (Interactive) instead of using a PDF (Print) setting.

• 12. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

I can read the ppi but how do I satisfy the printer peoples' desire for 300dpi?

Offset printing usually uses halftone dots to create the illusion of continuous tone, so if you look at a press sheet under a loupe you see something like this—the resolution of half tone screens should be referred to as LPI or lines per inch.

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 8.44.26 AM.png

If you further magnify the halftone screen you would see the printer or platemaker dot that draws the halftone dots—that resolution should be referred to as DPI. So you have image resolution (PPI), that is converted into the halftone screen (LPI), that is drawn by the output device's mark (DPI):

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 8.45.13 AM.png

• 13. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?
                            AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

You can verify that the resolution of an image in your PDF is at least 300 dpi very easily with Acrobat Pro. [After the fact Note: I totally missed Rob Day's reply above, where he shows the same thing ... just saw it after I hit Post. Sorry!]

So assuming that your effective res for your images in ID is at least 300 ppi (aka dpi in popular jargon), and that in your PDF export settings, you're not downsampling those to something below 300, then all should be good. (Here's a short and simple post about effective and original ppi in InDesign, might help clear things up: http://indesignsecrets.com/whats-my-resolution.php.)

To verify in your PDF before sending it, open it in Acrobat Pro (any recent version) and find the tool called Output Preview (it's in the Print Production group). It's actually a big honking panel.

Choose Object Inspector from the "Preview" dropdown menu in the panel (see the arrow in the screenshot) and your cursor turns in to a cross-hairs. Click on anything in your PDF to see lots of info about it appear in the panel. In the screenshot below, I clicked on the first photo (which I put a red rectangle around to help you understand what the panel is reporting on) and as you can see, the panel says it's about 150ppi (the green rectangle).

fb-objinsp.jpg

There are faster ways to check an entire document in Acrobat Pro with its built-in tools, but for spot-checking this is fine.

Anne-Marie

http://indesignsecrets.com

• 14. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

The first export setting was done by self publishing.com, so I do not know it. My export was either high print quality or X1A.

• 15. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

AHA! So, the issue here is quite possibly the terminology used by the printer....DiggyPod.....So, it sounds as if nothing is set to a dpi setting by graphic artists or book designers. There is a serious misunderstanding in this realm which lends itself to much confusion---confusion in terms and their usage, even with the so-called experts in the publishing world, as the article I posted suggests happens way to frequently. Thanks to all who have posted info here. I have taken each aspect and extracted what I think I need to get a successful rendering to the commercial printer for a successful print.  My effectual ppi is over 800, in the .indd file, for the image that has been in question. I will export it to PDF/X1A per the printers recommendation, and all should be well.

• 16. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Neither High Quality Print nor PDF/X-1a would reduce any image below 300 ppi in the PDF unless you specifically changed the compression settings, do if ID reports all the images with at least 300 PPI effective resolution, they will be fine unless somebody is doing something on the far end that they shouldn't.

• 17. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Well...there you go with the ppi thing again....and I trust you are correct. Customer service at the printer is still using the rote memorized 30-blah-blah-blah dpi resolution.....and no one can tell me how to check, how to set, how-to anything before I send a file and have to pay another $40 because my "dpi" is set to less than 300. So, still, no one knows how and why DiggyPod, or other printers, are checking the dpi resolution nor how/why someone has set it nor how I can actually check to find  what mine is. I can get ppi (809 effectual and 762 actual), but the ever elusive dpi is still swirling somewhere out in the ethereal computer science and software atmosphere. But there is a ray of hope. Graphics guy will be in Monday from 0700 to 1530...at which time he will likely set me on a straight and narrow path of understanding and assist me in determining the dpi of the jpeg that is in my .indd file. And, I am hoping that he really, really, really does know how I can check my jpeg that is in my .indd file for the supposed dpi resolution setting.

• 18. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

So you just don't believe any of us that when this printer tells you they want 300 DPI they just don't know the correct terminology? It's a REALLY common misuse of the terminology.

• 19. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

My first sentence in the above post spells out the answer to your question, as does the article link I posted above. I will speak with their graphics guru on Monday morning, and I am scheduled to converse with the head of a graphics department of a national newspaper conglomerate.....He is even a linguistics major! So, surely we will get to the bottom of the dpi/ppi dilemma as well as what mine really is. I will report back here what I am told and what I find in this process with both of those gents. I really don't care if it is dpi, ppi, abc, pdq or USMC. I just need to know that I have enough resolution thingys to satisfy the printer machine so that he/she/it will print me a sharp image. Stay tuned for what I find. Oh.....and read my previous post where I stated, "I trust you are correct".

• 20. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

THeres no mystery, both Anne Marie's # 13 and my #10 give explicit instructions on how to get image resolution from a PDF in AcrobatPro. The listed resolution is the final output resolution.

• 21. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Thanks Rob......got both instructions and appreciate your tip. Have copied it for future use. My problem there, though, is the lack of AcrobatPro, hence my quest to see if there was another way to extract such information without the purchase of more software that I may not need or use in the future. Indesign does tell me the ppi but it seems that the printer has other thoughts on the matter. I clearly see 809 effectual ppi and 762 actual ppi in the links section of Indesign, but there is still talk of poor resolution set at 72dpi.....hmmmm. But maybe we will make headway on my Monday conference call with the printer graphics designer guy as to what value setting they are referring, and clear up the proper usage of terms so that we will all be on the same proverbial page. Clearly I have a heap of ppi but they are seeing dpi and not enough.......to be continued........

• 22. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

My problem there, though, is the lack of AcrobatPro, hence my quest to see if there was another way to extract such information without the purchase of more software

You can do it by placing the PDF back into InDesign scaled at 100%, and using InDesign's preflight feature to check if there are low res images present in the PDF.

So here I exported a page with an image that has an effective res of 547ppi as an interactive PDF, which as Peter suggested might be your problem, and placed it into a new document. I've turned on Preflight (Window>Output>Preflight) and loaded a definition that flags images lower than 300ppi. To setup a custom profile choose Define Profiles from the panel's flyout menu. Preflight shows the resolution error and lists the problem file:

Screen Shot 2015-07-11 at 8.06.21 AM.png

• 23. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Since the OP has said he used both HQP and X-1a presets I'm thinking now that the problem might be something like PitStop or other preflight at the printer is looking at the image and seeing the "actual" resolution, 72 ppi instead of the effective resolution.

THAT might be fixable by using Edit Original to open the image in Photoshop, then Image > Image Size.. and then adjust the resolution to 300 PPI with no resampling, and then save the image. This will result in some minor image degradation from re-compressing the jpeg when you resave, so you might want to save as .psd instead (no image quality loss), and relink to the new format.

• 24. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

THAT might be fixable by using Edit Original to open the image in Photoshop, then Image > Image Size.. and then adjust the resolution to 300 PPI with no resampling, and then save the image.

I can't imagine going to that trouble. If the starting unscaled resolution is really a preflight concern then the advise that Effective res is all that matters is no longer true. Acrobat's Object Inspector doesn't consider the image scale—it just gives the output (effective) resolution.

• 25. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Other than the interactive PDF or a third-party preflight tool, I can't think of anything else that would cause a PDF to either downsample (other than the wrong compression settings in a print PFD preset) or report the wrong resolution.

• 26. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Thanks to all of you hard-working guys and gals who quickly responded to my dilemma. I talked with DiggyPOD people and they told me that ppi and dpi are synonymous...at least in their eyes. So, when my photo says 72 ppi on my end in indesign, as far as they are concerned, that means a dpi understanding on their end. So, for me as an author who hopes to write directly into indesign and bypass designers, I need to always just make sure that my resolutions show up in the links sections, etc. as at least 300ppi. My most recent problem was that the original designer that sent me my files for a fee of $149 (selfpublishing.com) sent me the first file with a resolution of 72dpi/ppi. I do not have Acrobat Pro, so I could not look at the "dpi" setting. So, I trusted the ppi setting of 762 ppi, as indicated in the links section as good enough to render or be equivalent to the required dpi. Now, I don't care if ppi and dpi are not the same...if 10 pixels per inch does/ does not translate to 10 dots per inch when ink is sprayed to the paper. DiggyPOD says it is the "same" and maybe by that they mean that 300 ppi will surely be sufficient to get a 300 dpi quality print. I don't know! At any rate, my 762 ppi delivers a very sharp image. Any future projects will be questioned and verified for a sufficient resolution, while during the initial grunt work I will assume a ppi over 300 will be good enough for a high-res print. As for my dilemma with the cover image in its totality.......OMG.......This extreme novice watched the various tutorials and read various articles by you folks and others and built my own indesign file for the cover. I actually like it better than the original that was created by a graphics artist of over 30 years. With God's help through you and through His own enduring 1-to-1 mercy, He educated me and lifted my weaknesses to show His loving strength. I am reminded of 2 Corinthians, Chapter 12, verses 9&10. So...the .indd cover was built from scratch, the image was rendered at a ppi over 700 and a PDF/x1A was exported. Mission accomplished! You folks are wonderful! Much thanks for the help and education...all with an extreme expeditious spirit! Blessings to all! If anyone would like a free copy of my book, you may email me at rescuedsheep@icloud.com with a mailing address, and I will get a copy out to you as soon as I receive them from the printer. I will not send you spam in your email, nor will I send you snail mail garbage. Frankly...I have way too many projects in my life to bother with such ridiculous antics. Again...THANKS to all.......Jonathan

• 27. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Thanks to all of you hard-working guys and gals who quickly responded to my dilemma. I talked with DiggyPOD people and they told me that ppi and dpi are synonymous...at least in their eyes. So, when my photo says 72 ppi on my end in indesign, as far as they are concerned, that means a dpi understanding on their end. So, for me as an author who hopes to write directly into indesign and bypass designers, I need to always just make sure that my resolutions show up in the links sections, etc. as at least 300ppi. My most recent problem was that the original designer that sent me my files for a fee of $149 (selfpublishing.com) sent me the first file with a resolution of 72dpi/ppi. I do not have Acrobat Pro, so I could not look at the "dpi" setting. So, I trusted the ppi setting of 762 ppi, as indicated in the links section as good enough to render or be equivalent to the required dpi. Now, I don't care if ppi and dpi are not the same...if 10 pixels per inch does/ does not translate to 10 dots per inch when ink is sprayed to the paper. DiggyPOD says it is the "same" and maybe by that they mean that 300 ppi will surely be sufficient to get a 300 dpi quality print. I don't know! At any rate, my 762 ppi delivers a very sharp image. Any future projects will be questioned and verified for a sufficient resolution, while during the initial grunt work I will assume a ppi over 300 will be good enough for a high-res print. As for my dilemma with the cover image in its totality.......OMG.......This extreme novice watched the various tutorials and read various articles by you folks and others and built my own indesign file for the cover. I actually like it better than the original that was created by a graphics artist of over 30 years. With God's help through you and through His own enduring 1-to-1 mercy, He educated me and lifted my weaknesses to show His loving strength. I am reminded of 2 Corinthians, Chapter 12, verses 9&10. So...the .indd cover was built from scratch, the image was rendered at a ppi over 700 and a PDF/x1A was exported. Mission accomplished! You folks are wonderful! Much thanks for the help and education...all with an extreme expeditious spirit! Blessings to all! If anyone would like a free copy of my book, you may email me at rescuedsheep@icloud.com with a mailing address, and I will get a copy out to you as soon as I receive them from the printer. I will not send you spam in your email, nor will I send you snail mail garbage. Frankly...I have way too many projects in my life to bother with such ridiculous antics. Again...THANKS to all.......Jonathan

• 28. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Still... Looks like  you and your printer still don't understand the principles of dpi, ppi and effective ppi... Sigh...

• 29. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

I have read the articles....and I actually do know what each designation means. I also know that indesign does not tell the user the dpi of a jpeg. It only renders a resolution in the format of ppi. So if I have a jpeg, that I do not personally know the dpi from another software source or because I originally saved it under dpi considerations, I will rely upon the ppi presented to me via links (i think it is) in InDesign. If my commercial printer is happy that they can give me super high-quality resolution when my InDesign program says something like 762 actual ppi, then I don't care what the various true definitions are....nor whether they fully grasp the whole resolution definition difference. Most people do not even know the first thing about how a car works, but millions leave home each day and drive those beasts to work and leisure with confidence of making it to their destination. So, it goes with me and ppi/dpi. If the printer is happy with the high-res capabilities of my jpeg in my indesign file that is exported and rendered into a PDF of their order, then all is good. I drive my author/publisher car to my destination with confidence.

• 30. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

jonathanc15424870 schreef:

I also know that indesign does not tell the user the dpi of a jpeg. It only renders a resolution in the format of ppi.

That sentence alone shows us you still do not get it... A JPG or other format does not have a dpi. It only has ppi, the dots the printer uses to print uses dpi, like a 600 dpi laserprinter for example. The second part of your sentence here does make even less sense...

Well, anyway you do not have to understand all if the result in print works out in the end but you printer should know. But we will never know I guess if your printer is really that misinformed (I almost can not believe that such a printer would last) or if you are misinterperting what the printer says to you. In the light of what we all told you here and your replies to us, the latter seems very possible...

• 31. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

I also know that indesign does not tell the user the dpi of a jpeg. It only renders a resolution in the format of ppi.

I can't think of any application that measures image resolution as dots per inch. Here's InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge, Apple's Preview, Acrobat. Only Preview uses the term DPI but the measurement is still pixels per inch

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.25.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.23.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.28.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.26.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.23.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 8.43.31 PM.png

• 32. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Originally the printer said I only had a resolution of 72 dpi and I had no way to determine the dpi. Desiring to move this project along, I asked this forum and no one gave any great response about my actual or effective ppi as being satisfactory to satisfy the printer person who used the "dpi" terminology. No one gave satisfactory information for me to take what I knew and effectively determine that what I had would surely satisfy the printer---whether or not they were mix-matching the terminology. I am not a printer and I do not have their software....so I do not know what they see on their screens or how they refer to resolutions. I really don't care! I now know how to manipulate the indesign program to satisfy my elementary needs and I know what PPI to send the printer that will satisfy their resolution hankerings. So, whether I know or not....it does not matter. My jpegs show to be 700+ ppi in indesign.....so I am A-OK.....knowing the technical or not.....I am still A-OK. I am going to start my car thingy with the key thingy and press the accelerator thingy and drive that car thingy to my desired destination......never really knowing what makes it tick nor what Hemi really means on the side of my Dodge...........Actually I do know what a hemispherical combustion chamber is and how it works and why it is so much more powerful. But my wife doesn't and she will still get to the nail salon on time! Or, I'll get the manuscript over to the printer on time!

• 33. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

Hmmm......it appears Apple and company have ambiguous information based on rob's post...."IMAGE DPI:    400 pixels/inch". By that picture.....The dpi is set to 400 ppi. COOL!

• 34. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

jonathanc15424870 schreef:

Hmmm......it appears Apple and company have ambiguous information based on rob's post...."IMAGE DPI:    400 pixels/inch". By that picture.....The dpi is set to 400 ppi. COOL!

And there you go again, that is the resolution, you need the EFFECTIVE resolution.

I Give up. You use a lot, a lot, of words to hide that in fact you don't understand...

• 35. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?

.The dpi is set to 400 ppi. COOL!

I included the Preview capture to show what everyone has been saying—the term DPI can (unfortunately) be used when referring to image resolution, but Apple is correctly using pixels per inch as the measurement. Adobe applications always uses the term PPI for image resolution and reserves DPI for printer resolution (which has no relationship to image resolution) to avoid confusion.

—I also know that indesign does not tell the user the dpi of a jpeg. It only renders a resolution in the format of ppi— Is not right. In my capture you can see that ID correctly shows the starting (Actual) and the scaled  (Effective) resolution of the jpeg image. You have to consider the effect of scaling on an image's resolution—if I scale my 400ppi jpeg by 200%, the pixels double in size, so the Effective resolution is now 200ppi.

• 36. Re: Anyone know how to check the resolution of a jpeg that is part of an .indd file?
                                                                          Danny Whitehead. Level 4

jonathanc15424870 wrote:

I talked with DiggyPOD people and they told me that ppi and dpi are synonymous...at least in their eyes.

They aren't synonymous, but to be honest, in my experience, more people in the print and graphics industry wrongly use the term 'DPI' than correctly use the term 'PPI', so you can usually assume they mean the same thing. It's unlikely they'll be referring to the resolution of their output device. The misconception you seem to be under, is that they're two different ways of measuring the same thing, like feet and metres. Your 300 effective PPI image will be 300 DPI in their incorrect language.

It's just a quirk of the language of the industry. A comparison might be how a lot of people call sashimi 'sushi' - it's wrong but you can usually assume what's meant.