21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 3:48 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open

charlest52889678

Hi - I've just installed Premiere Elements 13 from disc. Elements is working fine, but the Organiser will not open, hanging for a few seconds then crashing.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no change. I have uninstalled again, downloaded a trial version from Adobe and used my licence to open it, with the same result.

I'm running an IMac with 4gb RAM, 3gb Intel processor and OSX 10.8.5. Photoshop CS6 runs absolutely fine on this machine.

I've spent hours trying to get a new product to work with no success. Does anybody have an idea how to fix this?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
          A.T. Romano Level 7

charlest

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I will try to find some common ground troubleshooting for this Windows Mac issue.

The remedies are

1. Delete the psa.prt which is the Elements Organizer settings file. I am not sure where is would be in Mac.

In Windows, it is found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prt file that you delete or disable by renaming it to psa.prtOLD.

Please determine if this Adobe document helps you find the file in Mac.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/preference-file-locations-photoshop-elements .html

If that does not work...then try to get the shortcut to work for you...

Windows...as you hold down on the Ctrl+Alt+Shift (altogether), click and hold click on Organizer Tab at bottom right of Premiere Elements Editor workspace for about 30 seconds or until you see a pop up "Delete the Elements Organizer Settings File". Keep the hold down on Ctrl+Alt+Shift until after you click Yes to the request. In the case of the Mac user, the command would likely be Command+Option+Shift.

2. Create a new Catalog.

File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager

See if you can keep the Elements Organizer open long enough to do this in the Elements Organizer workspace.

Have you imported any files into the Elements Organizer yet?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
            charlest52889678 Level 1

Thank you very much for your reply - we have some progress!

Although I couldn't see any settings files which resembled the psa.prt file, I used your shortcut to delete the settings file, create a new catalog and Organiser opened up straight away.

Sadly, as soon as I tried importing media it crashed, and has done so every time I've tried since.

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

Charles T

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles T

Great news about getting the Elements Organizer opened and ready for use. Great job of moving between my Windows and your Mac.

The next phase of our work is going to be getting focused on the properties of what you are trying to import into the Elements Organizer.  You may have a format that the Elements Organizer cannot handle. Are you importing videos and/or photos? How many? Same problems if you go one at a time?

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and its Elements Organizer 13/13.1?

2. What happens if you first import a file into the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor and then open the Elements Organizer using its tab at the bottom right of the Premiere Elements Editor? Does the Elements Organizer crash immediately. Whenever you import a file into the Editor, a copy is automatically created and placed in the Elements Organizer.

Please consider and then we will decide what next based on the details of your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                charlest52889678 Level 1

I have QuickTime 10.2, which may not be the latest version, but Apple's App Store will not offer an update, insisting that all my software is up to date. Not sure that's true, although my current version of QuickTime plays the files I'm trying to import perfectly well.

Organiser stayed open long enough to update itself (and Premiere) to 13.1, so that's more progress!

Orgainser seems to crash when importing DV video files. It's perfectly happy with jpeg files, but only managed to import one dv file after many attempts. Although it's an old format, Premiere Elements continues to handle and edit these files with no trouble at all.

Excellent point about importing files direct to Premiere - when I opened Organiser from Elements, all the dv clips I am using in my current project appeared briefly before Organiser crashed.

It seems very strange that one format that the core program handles well is tripping Organiser up. I've run this Mac for about 5 years, with no software problems of any kind, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Again, many thanks for looking into this.

Charles T

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles T

Can you import video files other than these DV files. Since you are working from a Mac computer are these DV files DV.mov files (4:3 or 16:9)?

Even though I have Premiere Elements Windows, I can create a DV.mov file and see how it behaves when I import it directly into the Elements Organizer 13.

When I did that the, DV.mov imported essentially without issue into the Elements Organizer 13...I did right click the gray thumbnail that presented there and selected Update Thumbnail to get the image in the thumbnail.

Can you import any other .mov or .mp4 files in your Elements Organizer 13/13.1? By the way, when you updated the Editor from 13 to 13.1, did you do the same for the Elements Organizer 13?

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                    charlest52889678 Level 1

Hello ATR,

Sorry for the delay - I went through a long evening of Organiser not opening at all. Eventually I repeated your trick of deleting the settings file, and now it has opened and imported a (huge) mp4 file and seems happy with it.

The dv files I'm trying to work with have a .dv extension - I know it's an older file type from digital video tapes, but I have a pile of things from a few years back that need editing. They are in 4:3 format.

Yes, I updated Elements to 13.1 as well.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles T

Great news. Sounds like major progress with the Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

It seems OK with the .mp4 file. Do you still having problems getting those .dv files into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1? But, please remind me, can you import them OK into the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Mac OK?

Depending on your answer, with those .dv files, have you thought about conversion to .mov or .mp4.

HandBrake may be able to do the job, even batch convert to a H.264.mp4 4:3 file that you should be able to import into Elements Organizer 13/13.1 and/or Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor.

https://handbrake.fr/

I am looking for some online .dv samples with which to do some road testing.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                        charlest52889678 Level 1

Hi,

Although Premiere Elements 13.1 imports and edits .dv files happily, Elements Organiser still crashes as soon as I try to import a .dv file. However, I've been reading around this, and saw someone else had a similar problem trying to open .dv in QT X. They tried converting to .mov just as you suggested, so I've tried that with one clip (out of hundreds) and it's worked!

My only concern, and perhaps you can guide me on this, is will there be a loss of quality? .dv files weren't particularly high quality, but at least the format had the advantage of being (IIRC) low loss. I'm not keen to lose what quality there is - one of the videos I've found is from our wedding, and it's more than my life is worth to mess that up! I'll have a look at HandBrake, but would appreciate your thoughts on the quality issue.

Many thanks again for your input - it's been a huge help.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles T

Still hunting for some .dv download samples to test in Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

What video compression comes with all your .dv files?

I took at H.264.mov file and renamed it to H.264.dv. I could import that into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 or Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

I think that we need to look at the whole of the properties including video compression, frame size, frame rate, and bitrate to gauge any quality hits.

We could try to take advantage of increase bitrate if it does not compromise the file size.

Try the comparison between the HandBrake H.264.mp4 and your .dv and gauge the quality. HandBrake has adjustment for bitrate and can do batch encoding among other things. Do you think that you could get away with just renaming the file extension from .dv to .mov? Do mini test runs for your quality test runs.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                            charlest52889678 Level 1

Hi there,

Many thanks for all your help, but after another wasted afternoon, I think the time has come to give up on Organiser - I've had slightly temperamental software before, but this just isn't worth the effort.

I tried changing the file extension from .dv to .mov, and sure enough, Organiser imported it fine. It then wouldn't play the new file, nor would it now play any of the others I imported earlier, telling me I didn't have the right codecs installed. They played just fine yesterday.

I checked with the Adobe help file re the necessary codecs, which gives little info and only refers to QuickTime. Out of interest I downloaded an earlier version of QuickTime which is still available to deal with older file types. On trying to reopen Organiser I find it is repeatedly crashing without opening at all, so I'm just going round in circles. I'm sure I could use your cmd alt shift technique to open it, but it just keeps on doing this.

It's a shame, because the idea is excellent, and I have a whole world of media which could very usefully be catalogued. I also really like the idea of perhaps being able to increase the bitrate on the video files. But my main need is for a video editor which handles .dv, and Premiere Elements does this just fine.

Thanks so much for all your efforts, but unless Adobe wave a magic wand over this thing, it seems like it's never going to work. Very odd - mainstream software, mainstream Mac set up, but just can't get the two to talk to each other.

Kind regards,

Charles T

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles T

Thanks for the update. But did you try for the batch conversion of your .dv files to H.264.mov with HandBrake as a step up from the file extension renaming?

Those HandBrake H.264.mp4 versions should have been supported in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 for import and playback with the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 player. And, they should have been supported by the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor as well. And, you could do just 1 (instead of batch) as feasibility study.

But, whatever you decision is, know that I appreciated you exploring the suggestions. And, I offer best wishes for your projects.

Just let me know when and if I can be of assistance with your Premiere Elements Elements Organizer workflows. If it would not invade your privacy, you might consider sending (Dropbox or Google Drive link) a sample .dv file that I could explore, experiment with, and see what I could come up with in the way of an acceptable solution (if there is one).

Best wishes

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                charlest52889678 Level 1

Hi ATR,

There's clearly something fundamentally flawed with my system and how it relates to Organiser. Although I've now got it to open again and import a series of jpegs (just as something to work with) it's unable to do the simplest thing without either crashing or seizing up and requiring a Force Quit. Even a three picture slideshow trips it up. I can't see many other people with these sort of problems, so guess it must be my set up, although the spec on my Mac is well above the stated minimum required..

I'd be very happy for you to have a look at some .dv files, and am grateful for the help. I'll send a Dropbox link by email later today and would be pleased to hear of any ideas.

Many thanks again,

Charles T

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles T

Thanks for the reply. I will give your .dv file sending a workout in Elements Organizer 13/13.1 and others and report the results.

For reasons that I have not figured out, from the Elements Organizer stability point of view, it is Elements Organizer 12/12.1 which crashes just trying to open it more often than not. Either disabling the psa.prf and/or creating a new catalog will allow me to work for a while in that Elements Organizer. At the same time, I have no such problems with Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                    charlest52889678 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Interesting to see I'm not alone in finding Organiser unstable. Very odd from Adobe - I've used just about every version of Photoshop and Bridge up to CS6 on both Mac and PC without a moment's trouble, but I can't get this thing working to save my life.

Thanks so much for having a look at some footage - I've put a few clips (just shaky out-takes, but they'll serve for our purposes) in Dropbox at the following address:

Test DV files

Test DV filesShared with Dropbox

View on www.dropbox.com

Preview by Yahoo

Incidentally, for future use I've found an app called LifeFlix, which controls dv cameras, imports the files compressed as h246 or uncompressed, and saves them in a .mov wrapper. If it works, it will make sorting my decade long archive a lot easier.

I'm wondering about the wisdom of increasing the bitrate, only because I've just noticed that the four and a bit hours of video I'm working add up to a slightly daunting 52 gb! I thought file size wouldn't be a problem, but even if I cut it to about an hour and a half it will still take between now and Christmas to render. We shall see.

Kind regards,

Charles T

From: A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

To: Charles Trinder <rosncharlie@yahoo.co.uk>

Sent: Sunday, 12 July 2015, 16:16

Subject:  Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionCharles T Thanks for the reply. I will give your .dv file sending a workout in Elements Organizer 13/13.1 and others and report the results. For reasons that I have not figured out, from the Elements Organizer stability point of view, it is Elements Organizer 12/12.1 which crashes just trying to open it more often than not. Either disabling the psa.prf and/or creating a new catalog will allow me to work for a while in that Elements Organizer. At the same time, I have no such problems with Elements Organizer 13/13.1. Thanks again for the follow ups. ATR If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7746716#7746716 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7746716#7746716 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

charlesl

Thanks for the reply.

I am not seeing a clickable Dropbox link that will get me to the files that you were to send for cross checking.

Please review the sending.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                        charlest52889678 Level 1

Hi,

Sorry - it looked like it should work when I drafted the email. I'm trying to send the link direct from Dropbox, so we may have more luck that way.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Charles T

Sent: Monday, 13 July 2015, 0:19

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussioncharlesl Thanks for the reply. I am not seeing a clickable Dropbox link that will get me to the files that you were to send for cross checking. Please review the sending. Thanks. ATR If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7747642#7747642 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7747642#7747642 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles T

Thanks for the follow ups.

Just a quick note to report that so far I have not seen in your thread the latest Dropbox link with the sending.

ATR

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                            charlest52889678 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Apologies - work had me tied up for a few days.

I haven't used the forum before so wasn't sure how safe it would be to put a Dropbox link into it. I did email one to you direct but expect that's been lost.

Are you still in a position to have a look at some .dv files, and if so, is it safe to put the link into the thread?

Many thanks,

Charles T

Sent: Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 22:24

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussionCharles T Thanks for the follow ups. Just a quick note to report that so far I have not seen in your thread the latest Dropbox link with the sending. ATR If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7755383#7755383 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7755383#7755383 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

charlest

Thanks for the update.

This is a public forum, so for your protection you should not post anything that would invade your privacy. Consider that E-mail notifications represent what is already in the public forum.

Could you put together a sample for sending (as posted as link in thread in this public forum) that would not invade your privacy in any way?

We will watch for further information to determine what would be best as the next step.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                                charlest52889678 Level 1

Hi ATR - apologies again, work buried me for a few days. Noting your comments re the Dropbox link, it's posted below, and contains a few out takes of no consequence. If you were able to take a look and see if my problem with Premiere Elements 13 reproduces itself I'd be very grateful. If they work for you I'll have to assume that my very ordinary Imac setup has something obscurely wrong with it, and chalk it up to experience.

Many thanks again for all your input.

Charles T

Dropbox - Test DV files

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 13 Organiser will not open
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Charles T

Some good news and some not so good news.

Your 12:58:03.dv, 17;47;02.dv, and 21;37;41,dv all imported into my Elements Organizer 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

12:58:03.dv imported with a gray thumbnail which went to image with Update Thumbnail. The file played back fine in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 player.

21;37;41.dv imported with a gray thumbnail which went to image with Update Thumbnail. The fine played back fine in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 player.

However, 17;47;02.dv was bad news for the Elements Organizer 13/13.l. The file imported into the Elements Organizer with a gray thumbnail like the other two.

But, Update Thumbnail gave black thumbnail or no change in gray thumbnail. The file could not be played back in the Elements Organizer.

Any ideas on how this one could be different than the others. A look at the properties of all 3 did not point to anything different in this one than with the other two.

I tried changing file extension from .dv to .mov, .qt, avi, .mp4 no go. I tried shortening the file name, no go.

I would have settled for getting all or none, but 2 out of 3 is unsettling.

ATR