4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 11:21 AM by Jeff Almasol

Blink on more than one sub-puppet?

SBDebreuil Level 1

I've got my puppet blinking from the front view, works great. I've made a side view of the head, and I press a key trigger to hide the front view, bring up the side view. Also works fine. But I can't get the blink to work in both front and side views, it seems like I have to pick one. Is this the case, or is there a work around that I haven't found? It seems like it will only work with the first layer that has 'Left Blink (b!)'.

I guess I could add a new keyboard trigger for the side view, but I'd like it to blink using the camera, the way the front view does.

• 1. Re: Blink on more than one sub-puppet?
          Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

Check out the Character Animator Examples project (Character Animator Examples), and specifically the Wendigo puppet in the "02. Wendigo" scene to see how it's set up. You can switch between views with the 1/2/3/4 keys, and then also press A for angry eyebrows or B to blink in any of those views. (Note that for multiple view subpuppets to work with the webcam and microphone, you'll want to add Face and Lip Sync behaviors to each subpuppet view, and remove it from the top-level puppet.)

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Blink on more than one sub-puppet?
            SBDebreuil Level 1

I'm sure that's it, can't wait to give it a try!

thanks!

• 3. Re: Blink on more than one sub-puppet?
              SBDebreuil Level 1

Did that, and it works. Found it a tad confusing that to get the top level puppet behaviors I had to click the puppet in the project panel, felt like that should be available in the puppet panel.

The other issue with the solution is that by removing Face and Lip Sync behaviors from the top level puppet and putting them in the sub-puppets, the puppet now reacts completely differently to input (head scales and distorts way more than it did when the behaviors were top level). Is there a way to add the behaviors to the sub-puppets, but keep the movement the way it was when the behaviors were top level?

Cheers!

• 4. Re: Blink on more than one sub-puppet?
                Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

Clicking the puppet in the Project panel is equivalent to opening the puppet in the Puppet panel and making sure no layer is selected.

Regarding different movement if the Face behavior isn't at the top level... can you create a new topic and include a screenshot or sample file? Thanks.