To move the child keywords to their proper location, select them in the Keyword List (Right Panel in the Library Module) and drag them to where they belong.
I am not sure why this is happening, however, if there is any change in the keywords when you are applying them, you will end up with two keywords with the original where is was, and the changed one at the top of the hierarchy. For example these are separate keywords: ocean Ocean _ocean.
Whatever you decide to do, be sure that you have at least two up to date backups of your catalog and all images before doing anything.
I did the manual route to re-create the hierarchy (no fun). I have now tried correcting this recurring hierarchy situation by updating my one and only catalog. I upgraded to LR 5 a few months ago and at the time I understood I should not update the catalog.
So now I will wait to see if the keywords jumble up again down the road.
Are you importing pics that already have keywords assigned to them in their metadata? Sometimes this can cause LR to import those keywords into the "wrong" spot in the hierarchy, depending on which programs added those keywords to the pics. If you are occasionally importing such pics, post one here and I can take a look at its metadata.
No I'm not occasionally importing such pics. I simply found some photos in my folders from five years ago that are incorrectly named and wanted to correct the the naming using a preset.
I simply found some photos in my folders from five years ago that are incorrectly named and wanted to correct the the naming using a preset.
I think you got confused about which of your two current threads this is. This thread is about your keyword hierarchy; the other one is about file renaming: Preset to changed date only when batch renaming files.