8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 9:15 AM by jobumac

CR 9.1 - I don't have an option to turn on GPU in preferences.

nooff84142725

I believe I easily pass all requirements and have seen where the option should be from screen shots but its simply not there in my version.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: CR 9.1 - I don't have an option to turn on GPU in preferences.
          R_Kelly Adobe Community Professional

Which version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

The option doesn't apply/isn't shown if you have photoshop cs6, only with camera raw 9.1 in photoshop cc, cc 2014 and cc 2015.

• 2. Re: CR 9.1 - I don't have an option to turn on GPU in preferences.
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a setting that is controlled in Bridge by editing the Camera Raw Preferences. It's right at the bottom of the preferences dialog. The setting is also accessible in Preferences in Photoshop. The last option on the preferences screen is Camera Raw Preferences. That brings up the same screen that you see in Bridge.

• 3. Re: CR 9.1 - I don't have an option to turn on GPU in preferences.
              bbloughridge

I had this issue with Photoshop and lightroom CC 2015.  I used the chat feature and got the correct fix.  I was told to go to EDIT, PREFERENCES, FILE HANDLING, CAMERA RAW PREFERENCES  and then disable (or uncheck) the "USE GRAPHICS PROCESSOR".   By doing this the camera raw images became visible.  For Lightroom you use PREFERENCES - PERFORMANCE- and then disable or uncheck the "USE GRAPHICS PROCESSOR".  I don't know if this will help you, but it worked for me. 

• 4. Re: CR 9.1 - I don't have an option to turn on GPU in preferences.
                jobumac Level 1

Did you find the option to turn on GPU acceleration? Is it possible to turn it on? Are working on a Mac or Windows system? What GPU do you have?

ACR 9.1 deactivates GPU support on some systems. Just for your information. Would be cool, if you share some more information.

Thanks.

cheers, chris

• 5. Re: CR 9.1 - I don't have an option to turn on GPU in preferences.

It is in the Camera Raw Preferences in Bridge and in Photoshop. You cannot change it in Camera Raw itself.

• 6. Re: CR 9.1 - I don't have an option to turn on GPU in preferences.
                    jobumac Level 1

What I know is, that you can turn it on or off in Camera Raw Preferences. Settings in Photoshop have no effect on settings in Camera Raw, I tested it.

As you can see in the screenshot, you can turn GPU support on or of in ACR - as mentioned above " ... uncheck "USE GRAPHICS PROCESSOR".

When you startup Adobe Camera Raw a brief test of OpenGL capabilities of the GPU is performed. If that test is passed by the GPU or the system, OpenGL acceleration in Camera Raw is activated - if not, OpenGL support is deactivated. Same in Lightroom. But OpenGL in Camera Raw is very basic compared to Lightroom. But it is there.

I have an Intel HD 4000, MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2012). ACR 9 had OpenGL activated, version 9.1 deactivated it (Mac OS X 10.9 and 10.10), latest Adobe Bridge CC version.

My question is: what about other systems? Is it just because of old drivers of Intel HD 4000? Don't ask, I tried everything to get it to work, really everything:(Screenshot_ACR9.jpgScreenshot_ACR9_1.jpg

• 7. Re: CR 9.1 - I don't have an option to turn on GPU in preferences.

Those are the only two places that you can control the use of the graphics processor in Camera Raw. If Camera Raw disables the GPU then you can try to update your drivers to see if that fixes the problem. Or it may be that your graphics processor isn't compatible. You have to know that there have been a lot of issues with graphics processors since Lightroom 6/CC and Photoshop CC 2015 have been released. There is a large discussion about it in the Lightroom forum. If you're having problems with it right now, just don't use it. Hopefully, improvements are on the way.

• 8. Re: CR 9.1 - I don't have an option to turn on GPU in preferences.
                        jobumac Level 1

Thanks, you are right.

As a workaround I put the old ACR 9 back in place as a workaround - no problems with it:)

In case of the integrated Intel GPU on a Mac, I cannot update the driver. I would like to, but Apple provides the "latest" drivers with their latest OS updates ... it was never so easy to update graphic card drivers;) If Apple would react a little bit more faster or provides graphic card updates for older systems as well, I would not complain;)

Let's hope for the best and I think it is very good that Adobe moves on bringing GPU support to their applications. I don't expect everything to work without issues from the start. But without feedback the engineers cannot fix it ...