15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 9:10 PM by cuhieu83

Computer requirements

cuhieu83

Hi,

I'm a newcomer, I like After Effects and Premiere so I plan to setup one computer to use those but I confuse what is good.

I'm not professional, just homework so I don't know what branch I can buy

- CPU: between CPU i7 4790 and Xeon E3-1231v3

- Graphic card: between Gefore GTX 960 and Radeon R929OC-4GD.

Who have experience, lease give me advice.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Computer requirements
          shachar carmi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i think the general forum would be a better place to ask this question at:

After Effects

however, i can say all the options you listed are fine. you'll not have a completely different experience as an AE/Premier user if you buy the one or the other.

the only difference is for how long you can use that computer before it out dates.

• 2. Re: Computer requirements
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

[moved to Hardware forum]

• 3. Re: Computer requirements
              cc_merchant Level 4

Start here: Tweakers Page and all the other articles.

• 4. Re: Computer requirements
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the i7-4790k is faster than both of those, its a good option if it fits budget. between the i7-4790 and Xeon E3-1231v3, the xeon is a little slower, no intel graphics, and a little cheaper. the intel hd graphics can be great for video encoding h264, if you use an application that supports intels quick sync, but premiere currently does not. xeons are made for workstation builds, which benefit from eec memory. it looks like that xeon will run on regular motherboards with non-ecc memory. if you go with the xeon double check the motherboard you are buying that it supports that cpu. graphics card, cuda works better, so the gtx 960.

• 5. Re: Computer requirements
                  cuhieu83 Level 1

Thanks for your information.

Recently too busy so I haven't bought yet.

As your information, GTX 960 is better than Radeon and I've already chose Gigabyte GV960WF2OC-2GB, that is ok for Premiere and After Effects (edit and rendering)?

One more thing, I saw in shop, same product is mention for Gamer so is it ok if I buy those products use for Graphic? Because I don't play game.

• 6. Re: Computer requirements

most gtx cards are targeted towards gamers, but they also work for adobe's software. the gtx 900 series don't support AE ray-tracing. so if you are planning on using that, you might want to look for an used gtx, like the gtx 760. the gtx 950 is suppose to release any time now, which is a good option for budget builds.

• 7. Re: Computer requirements
                      cuhieu83 Level 1

Thank you, RoninEdits

If I use GTX760 or GTX780, I can use Ray-tracing but those model have low CUDA for rendering compare with GTX900 series, is it right?

So how about your idea to solve both problem? Can you give me your advice.

Thank you!

• 8. Re: Computer requirements

its not fair to compare cuda to cuda unless from same series, like gtx 970 vs 980 cuda or gtx 770 vs gtx 760 cuda. if you wanted a gtx 960, a gtx 770 or 680 should perform very close. a gtx 760 or 670 would be close to a gtx 950. a gtx 780 is close to the gtx 970, but might be overkill depending on the cpu you get, like the i7-4790.

• 9. Re: Computer requirements
                          RjL190365 Level 4

The only crack in the foundation in this case is that Premiere Pro still does not take full advantage of all of the features of the Maxwell GPUs, and that Premiere Pro (yes, even the CC 2015.1 release) still relies heavily on GPU memory throughput. What's more, the memory on the Maxwell-based cards defaults to 6.0 GHz effective (instead of the 7.0 GHz effective) when running CUDA applications - and cannot be raised any higher even manually. As a result, the GTX 960's effective memory throughput when running CUDA applications such as Premiere is capped to only 96 GB/second (instead of the rated 112 GB/second) The GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980 Ti and Titan X all have the very same problem: Their effective memory throughput when running CUDA applications is 168 GB/second, 192 GB/second, 288 GB/second and 288 GB/second, respectively. The GTX 750 Ti (which is a first-generation Maxwell GPU) doesn't have this problem because its memory runs at only 5.4GHz effective (which results in an effective memory throughput of 86.4 GB/second). Nor do the older-generation Kepler GPUs (more than likely because some of those GPUs are not quite powerful enough to fully saturate their advertised memory bandwidth).

The above reasons explain how the GTX 960 currently performs barely faster in Premiere Pro than a GTX 750 Ti.

• 10. Re: Computer requirements
                            cuhieu83 Level 1

As above information, GTX750Ti or GTX780 or GTX760 is better than GTX960 and latest? Because can use Ray-tracing and render almost same as new GTX generation and low price?

My English is not good so I would like to confirm it before buy.

Thanks all.

• 11. Re: Computer requirements

the gtx 750/750ti are different from the other gtx 700 series cards, they use newer nvidia chips that are similar to the gtx 900 series. so i don't think they support ae's ray tracing either.  ae ray tracing is discussed more in this thread, the other alternatives are to use C4D or other plugins if using a gtx 900 card. GTX 970 not supported? After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Initial shader compile failed ( 5070 :: 2 )

• 12. Re: Computer requirements
                                cuhieu83 Level 1

Thanks again for your information,

In Adobe request list didn't mention GTX750/750Ti but they have mention GTX780 so I can purchase GTX780?

I will use ray-tracing but just for simple layer, not expert.

• 13. Re: Computer requirements

AE and premiere use the cpu as primary device, so fast cpu should come first. depending on your projects and media in AE/premiere, you may be better off buying a cheaper gtx like the 760 or 770 and putting the extra money into a better cpu.

• 14. Re: Computer requirements
                                    cuhieu83 Level 1

I got it and clear now, I'm really really thanks for your support.

By the way, can I ask you one more thing about rendering?

I have one clip, if I edit and render by After Effects, it's no problem. But if I render by Premiere, my clip look like old clip, it have stretch line, please see photo (the photo I made for example to easy to show problem for you to see).

Even I export to .mp4 .mov .avi... it's same problem. So how to solve that problem, please inform me your advice.1.png

• 15. Re: Computer requirements

it looks like interlaced lines, is the clip interlaced? is it only one clip or all clips do this?

if its interlaced, you can right click the clip, choose field options, and de-interlace. besides that you may need to check the project settings, to make sure its set to progressive and/or matches the media format. the project settings and export settings control how the video will look when exported.

• 16. Re: Computer requirements
                                        cuhieu83 Level 1

Yes, it's interlaced. It all clip. Even I import project from AE to Premiere, that's also problem.

Ok, I will check as your recommend and will let you know soon. Because now my computer couldn't work so that why I want to buy new but still didn't.

Anyway, thank you one more time!!!