7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2015 5:32 AM by xinaesth

Lightroom CC 2015 keeps getting stuck exporting, convert to DNG...

xinaesth Level 1

Background / preamble:

I recently upgraded from LR 5 to CC. I use one large catalog, currently weighing in at ~70,000 images.

In the process of updating and sorting through my catalog, I did notice some anomalies: photos that were there on the disk but not present in my old catalog etc. I made a few notes about that as I was going - I suppose it's conceivable these could bear relevance to my current problems. At the same time, I also consolidated folders so that the vast bulk of my images are on an external drive, with a consistent folder structure.

I believe the result was reasonably clean and neat, although I appreciate that separating into smaller catalogs might help to make LR faster. Although it would be nice if general operation of the program was faster, that's not my major problem at the moment.

I have a 2014 MBP and a mid-2011 iMac that I use this catalog with, copying the lrcat and preview files manually via the external disk as needed.

My photos are DNGs: I have a Pentax K-30 which shoots in DNG and I use "Copy as DNG" from my LF1. The vast majority of my older RAW files from other cameras are DNG.

My problem:

When I try to export images, I get a progress bar that goes nowhere. This is obviously something of a show-stopper.

When I import from my compact, sometimes it completes the conversion to DNG, sometimes it doesn't. When I later try to select the unconverted RW2 files and convert them, it sometimes manages to churn through a few of them, but inevitably gets stuck at some point - normally sooner rather than later. This is somewhat less critical, but still pretty irritating.

I also sometimes have problems like selecting a load of images, telling LR to group them as a stack, and nothing happening. This just adds to a general impression that the software is not functioning properly.

Clearly my problems aren't widespread; I'm not sure what I can do to improve the situation. I suppose I'll try making a small test catalog and see if it behaves any differently.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 keeps getting stuck exporting, convert to DNG...
          xinaesth Level 1

I have started experimenting with a new catalog. So far I've added this years images; 4,639 of them, and it seems happy with exporting.

I should look a bit more into any tools that might be floating about to analyse / repair catalogs - I haven't seen anything, but I suppose I haven't looked all that hard.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 keeps getting stuck exporting, convert to DNG...
            xinaesth Level 1

I've realised that less information than I thought was being stored in my DNG files. So photos that I've added to the new catalog don't have processing information or (most) tags. I had thought that perhaps all I would be loosing if I started a fresh catalog was my Collections, but it appears that is not the case.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 keeps getting stuck exporting, convert to DNG...
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

peter todd wrote:

I've realised that less information than I thought was being stored in my DNG files. So photos that I've added to the new catalog don't have processing information or (most) tags. I had thought that perhaps all I would be loosing if I started a fresh catalog was my Collections, but it appears that is not the case.

Unless you had "Automatically write to XMP" tired on in Catalog settings then the Develop states, etc exist only in the catalog..

I'm not sure of your reasoning to be copying the catalog back and forth.... I keep my catalog 700k files on an external drive with images on other drives and plug into which ever laptop I'm using....

You can always create a new catalog and import from the old.. or export as a catalog from the old.... sometimes catalogs can end up with a lot of rubbish in them it seems and creating a new one can eliminate most of this..

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 keeps getting stuck exporting, convert to DNG...
                xinaesth Level 1

Thanks for the reply Geoff.

I'm pretty sure I had "Automatically write to XMP" enabled on my original ancestor catalog (from version 2 or 3, can't remember now), not sure at what point that could have changed. I find it somewhat counter-intuitive the distinction between XMP embedded in DNG files (which is what I want) vs sidecar files (which I sometimes find a bit fiddly to have around, generally). I know it's straightforward enough really, but maybe that was the source of my error at some point. With luck, I'll be able to sync the metadata ok now that I've (re?)enabled that setting on the catalog.

Actually, I haven't been copying the catalog back and forth completely; I've been copying it back to the SSD on my MBP but running it straight from the external disk when using the iMac.  I didn't mention that in my original message, and had been anticipating starting to copy both ways - just hadn't bothered yet. Obviously I'd expect it to be quicker with the catalog on the SSD (or to a lesser extent on internal iMac HD rather than USB2 external). I might do some tests to see how much difference that makes.

Also, yes; exporting from my old catalog is something I've yet to try - not sure why I was putting that off.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 keeps getting stuck exporting, convert to DNG...
                  xinaesth Level 1

p.s. I'm not sure why when I "select all" from "All Photographs" with no filter active, I have 68748 of 70104 selected... ho hum.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 keeps getting stuck exporting, convert to DNG...
                    dj_paige Level 9

xinaesth wrote:

p.s. I'm not sure why when I "select all" from "All Photographs" with no filter active, I have 68748 of 70104 selected... ho hum.

Probably you have some images stacked, and the ones stacked underneath the "top" image are not counted. You could try to use the command Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks.

Also, make sure you have turned off all filters.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 keeps getting stuck exporting, convert to DNG...
                      xinaesth Level 1

dj_paige was right about stacking being the cause of that slight anomaly.

It took a little while (with characteristic arbitrary stalls in progress and considerably more nannying than should be necessary, also no progress indicator), but LR seems to have now finished writing XMP to my files... and is now, somewhat mysteriously, behaving OK.

At least for the time being, I can export images and it seems to be managing to convert photos to DNG.

I should now be able to continue using my main catalog.  Before it decided to magically fix itself, one of the things that it was failing to do was "Export as catalog", so I could have had difficulty preserving my metadata.  All in all, on the strength of this experience it seems prudent to enable writing XMP.