2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2015 1:52 PM by Peter Spier

Need help with creating magazine adverts in indesign

Gurps1355

Hi guys,

I would like some help with creating adverts in indesign, i have a few i would like to create but don't know how to create them, please click on this link to a community magazinehttp://roundaboutmagazines.net/magazines/RW%20JuneJuly15%20croptPROOF.pdf

I would like to create that advanced curve on the first page,how could i do this?
      Then onto page two the plastering advert, how could i have an image like that in the background? The image is the hand and the plaster towel

On page 6 there is an electrician advert, i would like to know how i could create the electric style points.
      And on page 12 there is another electrician advert, i am interested in learning how to create the bright flashing light next to ac.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Gurps

• 1. Re: Need help with creating magazine adverts in indesign
          RandyR139 Level 1

You can do two things to create the arc:

Q- I would like to create that advanced curve on the first page,how could i do this?

Answers-

1. use an Elipse tool to create the arc

2. use the Pen tool to draw it and then adjust the beziers afterwards

Q- Then onto page two the plastering advert, how could i have an image like that in the background? The image is the hand and the plaster towel

Answers-

Create a frame and place your image in it and send it to the back

Create a text box and send it to the front

Q- On page 6 there is an electrician advert, i would like to know how i could create the electric style points.

Answer-

you can load your own font that has your special character and set your bullets to that font via the Character Styles palette and define a new Character Style/Basic Character Formats and choose the font family that has your special characters from the dropdown menu.

Q- And on page 12 there is another electrician advert, i am interested in learning how to create the bright flashing light next to ac.

Answer

Use Photoshop to create the graphic and import it as a PNG with transparency

I hope this helps you solve some of your questions.

• 2. Re: Need help with creating magazine adverts in indesign
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm going to expand on the previous answer just a bit.

For the curved corner area you woukld set the fill to [Paper], then in the Effects panel set the opacity of the fill down a bit to let the background show through. If you need punched out text as well, see http://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-eye-candy-part-3.php for one method.

For the lightning bold bullets one good way to make a custom font would be with IndyFont. You can use the free trail for a one-character font: Indiscripts :: IndyFont

For the graphic on page 12, Illustrator might be a better choice than Photoshop, and if you do decide to use Photoshop I would not save as PNG for print output. Use PSD  or Photoshop PDF instead.

I'm also going to recommend a good starter book since these are pretty basic questions: Sandee Cohen's Visual QuickStart for InDesign.