6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2018 2:31 PM by rob day

How do I crop an image in InDesign?

Lara M T Level 1

I know there must be a way to do this, but for the life of me I can't find a crop tool.

• 1. Re: How do I crop an image in InDesign?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Use the selection tool (black arrow) to drag any control handle on a selected image frame to crop the image.

• 2. Re: How do I crop an image in InDesign?
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You won't find a crop tool because it isn't needed. Every image placed on an InDesign page is automatically (or otherwise) placed in a frame. The frame is by default, independent of the image. To crop, simply reduce the size of the frame.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I crop an image in InDesign?
              Lara M T Level 1

Thanks. I get it now. My problem (or what I thought was a problem) was that the content wasn't filling the frame. But I want it to remain proportionate, so I used Fit Content Proportionately. If it's proportionate, it won't fill my large frame.

• 4. Re: How do I crop an image in InDesign?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Her are two similar fitting options. Fit Content Proportionally puts the entire image into the frame, but may leave some blank area (and you can easily remove this by using Fit Frame to Content). Fill Frame Proportionally useas as much of the image as possible without leaving any blank space, so it may crop. You can re-position inside the frame if you want a different crop.

• 5. Re: How do I crop an image in InDesign?
                  nyharp Level 1

What you have to wind up doing is right click>edit with> (Photoshop or Illustrator). I'm assuming you mean to crop an image so that the data of a much larger image isn't still present. A crop tool within inDesign is absolutely needed. If you need to peace out an image it's now easy to do so to a .pdf in Adobe Acrobat, but it would be easier to do so right within inDesign. Not being able to do so leaves large amounts of unneeded data that causes the program to slow, problems during printing, and issues with file transfers. If I had the ability to crop an image I could turn an ad that is 1gb to 200mb real quick instead of having to use 2 to 3 separate programs to do so.

• 6. Re: How do I crop an image in InDesign?
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can post a feature request, but I wouldn't bet on it happening. I don't know of any publication that doesn't take PDF where you have the option to crop on export. With disk space running at $25 a terabyte cropping the original doesn't have much value and has the downside of permanently lost data.