3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2015 10:06 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is PE13 suddenly closing/crashing?

wulfman87

I use this all the time with no issues. Now all of the sudden It just crashes/closes a minute in. Im completely updated! My pc is definitely good enough. I'll include the specs below. IM wondering if its because Im trying to edit a 30 minute video. Is there some kind of minute cap? Its currently saved at 30 minutes. So it just keeps crashing. I cut the video in half and deleted but it still crashes. I'll trying saving and reopening the program with half the video. 15 minutes.. I find it hard to believe there is a time cap.

i7-4820k cpu @ 3.70GHz

8GB  Ram

Windows 8

1366x768, 60hz Resolution

Geforce GTX660

And my drivers are updated        

• 1. Re: Why is PE13 suddenly closing/crashing?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

wulfman87

The duration of your video does not seem a likely candidate for the cause of the problem, but the properties of the video might be.

1. What are the properties of the source media and what project preset have you (manually) or the project (automatically) set to match the properties of the source files?

2. Are you working with a new video source since you wrote that all this has worked before? Do you have some files from the worked before time that you could try in your present problem situation?

3. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

4. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Any chance your computer is on automatic driver up date and the video card/graphics card driver has updated? Driver roll back for troubleshooting purposes if that is the case?

There should be no "time cap".....that sounds like computer resource issue.

What is

a. available RAM to go along with your installed 8 GB RAM?

b. available free hard drive space?

Are there any

c. any pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files...See Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and Media Cache Files Folder in 13 Folder in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/. And check Edit Menu/Preferences/Media for conformed video information and access.

Consider a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - Download

Please review, consider, and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why is PE13 suddenly closing/crashing?
            wulfman87 Level 1

--1. What are the properties of the source media and what project preset have you (manually) or the project (automatically) set to match the properties of the source files?

Its about 30-40 small videos that are AVI files that range from 50-400mb. They also run at 60fps. The project was set to be automatically set the matches. I dont recall how to check it too see if it was changed.

--2. Are you working with a new video source since you wrote that all this has worked before? Do you have some files from the worked before time that you could try in your present problem situation?

Im working with the same sources as always. I ran a test and discovered its just 1 file thats causing this crash. Its a AVI file, 341mb,3074bitrate,1366x768 resolution. I see nothing different in the file that makes it unusual. I also ran a malware and adware scan on the file. Its fine.

--3. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

Yes

--4. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Any chance your computer is on automatic driver up date and the video card/graphics card driver has updated? Driver roll back for troubleshooting purposes if that is the case?

Ive checked all my drivers and driver programs are updated. They should be automatic but I check frequently.

There should be no "time cap".....that sounds like computer resource issue.

What is

a. available RAM to go along with your installed 8 GB RAM?

7.94 available ram for use

b. available free hard drive space?

Ive got a 2tb hardrive with 931Gb of space left. Ive also got a external hardrive that has 5TB and 4.10 is free. Should I move Adobe to the larger hardrive? Thats seems like a lot for just 1 file. I could just delete it and go forward. But I dont understand why its a issue.

c. Are there any pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files...See Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and Media Cache Files Folder in 13 Folder in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/. And check Edit Menu/Preferences/Media for conformed video information and access.

I removed all files from Media caches and all preview files. It crashes when I hit a certain point of the video while Im dragging the slider (bluearrow/redline).

Consider a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

I ran this cleaner. Didnt help. Analyzed and Cleaned.

• 3. Re: Why is PE13 suddenly closing/crashing?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

wulfman87

Thanks for the reply with excellent information.

You appear to have pin pointed the problem to one particular file which you describe as an .avi file (1366 x 768). You give a bitrate of 3074.

AVI is just a file extension that wraps the important video and audio compression of the file. Please try to find out what type of .avi you have. If you do not know and cannot find out from your camera's specification, please download and install the free codec utility named GSpot

Super Quick Start

and let us know the readings for Video Name Codec and Status as well as Audio Name and Status.

When you found the bitrate for the file, what were the units of the bitrate,  kbps (kilobits per second)?

What is the duration of this 1366 x 768 file?

What is the frame rate of the file? Is there any chance that the video was recorded with a variable rather than constant frame rate?

The 60 fps could be 60 progressive frames per second or 60 fields per second (which would be 29.97 interlaced frames per second).

There are certain .avi files that are particular problems for Premiere Elements

Xvid.avi (probably worst)

AVCHD.avi

MotionJPEG.avi

Please try to put together the above information so that we can rule in or out factors in the troubleshooting. If this particular file is found to be corrupt and beyond help, can you get another copy of it for the project?

The program files should be installed to the default location at installation. That default location is the Local Disk C. I would leave everything installed as is until we rule in and out the status of the 1366 x 768 file.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...See what you can find out about the project preset that was set automatically by the project. To do that, please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the field look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.