17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 8:42 PM by A.T. Romano

Where is the community for Premiere Elements?

careykh_jel

It doesn't appear to be an option on the program selection screen.

[Moved to the Premiere Elements forum by Mod]

• 1. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is what I see when I click the small arrow to the right of the search line at https://forums.adobe.com/welcome

• 2. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

careykh_jel

Now that you are in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, how may help you user to user?

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you having a problem with the program - installation, importing, editing, exporting? Or, do you just need clarification on something you are reading about the program?

Please supply the details. We would be glad to be of assistance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
              careykh_jel Level 1

Thank you.

I have Premiere Elements 10. The computer in a Gateway NV53.

The problem began on June 4. When I try to open up Premiere Elements, I get the following message, in a white rectangular box:

"We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver.

Display driver details :ATI Technologies Inc. -ATI Mobility Raedon HD 4200 Series 3.0.11672 Compatibility Profile Context."

After clicking the "ok" or exit button on this message, I can go to one of my Adobe video projects, but I get a white screen and no visual images.

In spite of the message however, my display driver is updated and works fine. This is an Adobe issue.

Thanks again for your help.

• 6. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

careykh_jel

Thanks for the follow up.

I would first determine how many video cards/graphics cards the computer uses. Please see Device Manager/Display Adapters/ and names of video cards/graphics cards listed there. You may just see the one ATI card that you mentioned. Look to the Driver Tab for that card, and note the driver version and dating. Then try to determine if you have the latest driver for the card by going to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer.

If you find the card driver up to date, delete the BadDrivers.txt file. John has given you a link to the Adobe thread with the information that I have compiled on that. The direct link to the details is

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

You should be able to find the BadDrivers.txt file specific to your Premiere Elements version from the information in the link. Make sure that you are not working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drives disabled. If any problems in finding that file, please do not hesitate to ask.

Do you find that the message pops up even before you have added media to a new project or pops up when opening a saved closed project?

If none of the above works, there may be some card settings that you can adjust. I will wait to see if John has any instructions for you on adjusting the ATI card controls.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                  careykh_jel Level 1

Thank you so much. It worked. I wish I knew about this before spending days on the phone with tech support companies and buying products with money I don't have.

• 8. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                    careykh_jel Level 1

Thanks for all your help as well. BadDrivers.txt was indeed the problem. It is resolved now.

• 9. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

careykh_jel

Many thanks for the follow up with the great news that all is well after the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file.

The BadDrivers.txt file deletion had its troubleshooting origins around the time of the verison 9 release. The rationale for its use is explained by an Adobe Staff member in post 10 of the following older thread.

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

Please never hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification with your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                        careykh_jel Level 1

Mr Romano, you were so helpful before. I must ask for your input on another emergency I'm having.

For reasons unknown to me, when I try to open my Premiere Elements file, I get a message at the 43% mark of it opening, "The file appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened." I've already lost one file completely to corruption for reasons unknown; this other file I just cannot lose. I've literally spent years working on it. Please help.

Thank you.

• 11. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

careykh_jel

Just saw your message. Let us see what we can do to get that file to open. I notice that you are using Premiere Elements 10. What is the operating system? For now, I will assume Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit.

First thing, go systematically through the Adobe document on troubleshooting for damaged projects.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-elemen ts.html

What was the duration of this problem project when you saved closed it? Was it a high complexity Timeline?

After you saved closed the project, did you move, delete, or rename files and folders that were imported into the project before the save close? When you try to open the saved closed project, are you getting any "Where is the file ______?" messages?

Make a copy of the project, give it a new name, and determine if the project will now open.

We will be watching for further developments as you schedule permits.

Best wishes for success.

ATR

• 12. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                            careykh_jel Level 1

Hi, and thanks for your swift response.

I find the content at that link overwhelming. It's a lot of information that I can't easily process, and some of it doesn't seem to apply to my situation.

Let me answer your questions best I can, and maybe that can help you direct me more..

My system is Windows 7, 64 bit.

The project in question is 1 minute 42 seconds long. It's 370 MB. Does that answer your high complexity timeline question?

"After you saved closed the project, did you move, delete, or rename files and folders that were imported into the project before the save close?"

No.

"When you try to open the saved closed project, are you getting any "Where is the file ______?" messages?"

No. I usually know how to solve that issue, but that message comes up after you open the file program, I think.

The message I'm getting, "The file appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened" occurs when the file is loading - specifically, when it reaches 43%.

"Make a copy of the project, give it a new name, and determine if the project will now open."

Do this now, before this damaged issue is resolved?

Thanks again.

• 13. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

careykh_jel

Some things to consider....

How are you trying to open the project? Welcome Screen/Open Project and then selection of project by name or something else?

What is the Save In location for this file? Wherever it is, right click is, select Open With, then specifically click on Adobe Premiere Elements 10.

Also, try what I suggested before...if the name of the project now is "My Project.prel" and it is saved to Documents. Then, in Documents, copy the file, and paste it to the computer desktop. At the desktop level, rename the file to Troubleshooting.prel. Then, at that computer desktop location, right click the troubleshooting.prel file, select Open With, followed by Adobe Premiere Elements 10.

a. Is there any remote chance that you are trying to open a project created in Premiere Elements 11, 12, or 13 in version 10?

That type of situation would trigger that type of message.

b. Where are the source files for the problem project stored? Wherever they are, temporarily move them to another location, like the computer desktop. Then try to open the project. Are you greeted by "Where is the file _____?" messages. If so, click Skip All in the first message that you get. Just maybe that will open the file to the workspace even if there will be missing media signs in it. We will describe what next if we can get the project opened that way.

Please consider.

Thanks. (do not give up)

ATR

• 14. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                                careykh_jel Level 1

"How are you trying to open the project? Welcome Screen/Open Project and then selection of project by name ...?"

Yes, as I always do.

"What is the Save In location for this file? Wherever it is, right click is, select Open With, then specifically click on Adobe Premiere Elements 10."

It was in a Premiere Elements 8 folder. I did what you said, opening it in APE 10, but the problem is the same.

"Also, try what I suggested before...if the name of the project now is "My Project.prel" and it is saved to Documents. Then, in Documents, copy the file, and paste it to the computer desktop. At the desktop level, rename the file to Troubleshooting.prel. Then, at that computer desktop location, right click the troubleshooting.prel file, select Open With, followed by Adobe Premiere Elements 10."

The project name is PEI12. The prel is saved in APE 8.0 Folder. I did the rest of what you said. I copied and pasted it to my desktop, changed it to Troubleshooting.prel and opened it in APE 10. The result didn't change anything. Same message about the damage.

What causes these problems anyway? Would it help to know that?

Thanks once more.

• 15. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

careykh_jet

Thanks for the update. Sorry that a solution was not been found yet.

Did you work through the following

b. Where are the source files for the problem project stored? Wherever they are, temporarily move them to another location, like the computer desktop. Then try to open the project. Are you greeted by "Where is the file _____?" messages. If so, click Skip All in the first message that you get. Just maybe that will open the file to the workspace even if there will be missing media signs in it. We will describe what next if we can get the project opened that way.

This "damaged project" syndrome can be caused by all sort of factors. The main ones are seen in the Adobe document cited earlier. What format are represented on that Timeline? AVCHD.mts, AVCHD.mp4, other...?

Just in case something strange is going on with the video card/graphics card, let us try the remote possibility and delete that BadDrivers.txt file again.

I do not have an explanation for these corrupt files that are appearing in your workflows. If you are in a time crunch, you may be forced to start a new project. But, have you found that you can import this 1 minute 42 second 370 MB Timeline content from the computer hard drive  into a new project?

By the way, what is the fate of this project that will not open? Is it ready for export at 1 minute 42 seconds or do you have more to add and edit before you are ready for export of the Timeline to file or burn to disc?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for exploring the suggestions.

ATR

• 16. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                                    careykh_jel Level 1

I hate to ask this, but with the variety of Adobe folders for Premeire Elements it can get confusing for some ..... What are source files? Are they prel.? If not, what are they?

"What format are represented on that Timeline? AVCHD.mts, AVCHD.mp4, other...?"

AVI.

"Just in case something strange is going on with the video card/graphics card, let us try the remote possibility and delete that BadDrivers.txt file again."

Actually, I did that before reaching out to you.

"But, have you found that you can import this 1 minute 42 second 370 MB Timeline content from the computer hard drive into a new project?"

How do I delve into my hard drive?

"By the way, what is the fate of this project that will not open? Is it ready for export at 1 minute 42 seconds or do you have more to add and edit before you are ready for export of the Timeline to file or burn to disc?"

The length is complete at 1:42 but there was more to edit and improve in terms of enhancements and repositioning frames for stabilization. It's taken me years to work on. Doing it over is not an option. Just tell me what to do and I'll do it. Most Appreciated,

Carey

• 17. Re: Where is the community for Premiere Elements?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Carey

Please do not hesitate to ask the smallest or largest questions. Communicating is important. And, we do not want to take anything for granted  there or here.

When you open a project, you are creating a project file which has the file extension prel. You import what I call source media into the project for editing and exporting. In your case, you have said these files are .avi files. AVI is just the file extension that wraps the video and audio compression of the file. Compression type beside the wrapper is often important in troubleshooting.

You imported your avi files into the project from their hard drive save location and brought them into the project with one of the Premiere Elements Add Media choices. Often the choice is Add Media/Files and Folders.

When you import these .avi into the project (project file prel), all you get are copies of the originals that remain at their hard drive save location. But those copies in the project need to trace back to those originals where they were when they were first imported into the project. If you move, delete, or rename those originals after the project is saved closed, you get into very messy files - project disconnect problems.

But, I want to use the above concepts to try to force the project file to open.

1. Go to the place where your project's avi files are stored on the hard drive. And purposely move them to the computer desktop. For only less than 2 minutes of Timeline content, I am guess-estimating that there will not be too many of them.

2. Now try to open the project. I am hoping that you will get "Where is the file _____?" messages. On the first one these pop up, click Skip All. The plan is for that to be the key that opens to project file. Maybe no, but worth the try.

Another approach...Do you know if the project's Auto Save feature was on? Go to the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder, open it, and determine if you can open the program from any one of the AutoSave files there. The Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder should be found by default Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above.

Thanks.

ATR