36 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 10:53 AM by thedigitaldog

Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

OnslowDaisy1

Hi, Since December last yr I have been converting on import into LR my 5Dmkii files to dng. I do this as I believe the Dual Illuminant camera profile I have created using my Colorchecker passport can be embedded into the file. I found out the Update DNG Previews and Metadata is required to actually embed the profile. So, up until now my import would occur, the dng previews would be created and then I would select all images so that I could then "Update DNG Previews and Metadata". A bit long winded but it did what I thought was necessary.

I am now looking at a computer upgrade. Currently win7 64. I have lots of camera profiles from various shoots. I have lost profiles as well and discovered this when I view the image and see the camera calibration defaulting back to Adobe Standard or some such. Wanting to avoid this, I started the dng conversions.

Up until today I thought all was fine, however I have performed some tests and either I don't understand what is occurring or there is a bug... Could someone advise me please. I have searched online at adobe but haven't found an answer.

1) I shot a new image today and imported as dng into LR6. I have custom settings including the dual illuminant camera profile set as default settings. I Updated the Dng preview and metadata on it to embed the profile. I then took that dng over to my sons laptop with my 2nd  (installed today, no custom settings and no custom camera profiles) copy of LR6. I checked the camera profiles and it gave me an old profile from a yr and a half ago from ACR.

2) I then took a LR5 processed dng from january this yr and ran update DNG previews and metadata on the dng file. I took that over to the laptop, checked the camera calibration tab and find the correct dual illuminant is recognised.

Now, it seems that my understanding was correct for LR5 but is this a bug with it not embedding correctly or has something changed I haven't picked up on?

• 1. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What camera profile do you see if you copy the DNG file loaded onto LR system #2 back over to system #1 desktop and then import it into LR?

• 2. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
            OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

I have done this test. I copied over the files from machine #2 and imported them into a new catalog on machine #1. They all showed the correct profiles. Just not on machine #2 which doesn't have any of the correct profiles onboard.
            I am starting to think this is definitely a bug.

• 3. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

Can you post one of the DNG files that exhibit this issue to Dropbox or other file sharing site? Also provide the custom camera profile name embedded and incorrect profile name observed on the 2nd system.

• 4. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

Here is a dropbox link to a dng test I have done. I shot it yesterday, converted to dng, Ran 'Update Dng Previews and Metadata' to embed my dual illuminant profile called "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile". On my usual machine using LR6.1, the profile is shown. When I take it onto the other machine running LR6.1 and which doesn't have the profile installed on it, it shows another profile instead, one called "20130424 Catalina" which is on machine #2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kop0pzmlo8sbifr/ConvertedOnImportIUpdatedPreviewsMG_2354.dng?dl= 0

• 5. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It might be useful to have a copy of the DNG just before embedding the profile to see if it is any different with the DNG after.

Looking at the one DNG on Dropbox, I am wondering about the two areas marked in yellow that seem to deal with profiles.  The top one has two color matrices that are identical--are both illuminants in your camera profile the same, in other words both color matrices were built at the same time?

Secondly, does the text "20130317 Jeff and  Pauline Venning 3" relate to any profile, either from the camera, or from Adobe products?

• 6. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                    OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

The Profile name that is listed is found on the first machine only. As you can see by the date in the profile name, that profile is over 2 yrs old. All of the following comments are referring to machine #1. I will indicate when I refer to machine #2, the laptop.

The image was captured in the last 24 hrs or so and imported to LR6.1 as a dng. I have some auto settings applied during the import process. One of them includes setting the profile to "5D Mk2 Dual Illuminant Profile". I do that automatically to prevent me forgetting to do so. It just makes sense to me to do that.

LR6.1 shows that profile after import and conversion of the file. I then run the "Update Dng Previews and Metadata" to embed the file. The embedded Profile name should be then be "5D Mk2 Dual Illuminant Profile". It does show the correct profile after doing the update dng previews command. I attempted a screen capture to show this but chrome kept crashing. So, LR6.1 is indicating one thing, but embedding another it seems.
                    Now, referring to machine #2, the laptop (LR6.1). When I import the dng form machine #1 after it had Updated the DNG Previews with default import settings only, I see the profile is the only one on the laptop. "20130424 Catalina".
                    Regarding your comments re the camera calibration 1 and 2. The dual illuminant profile not showing was built using two different light source images. I suspect those two values would be different if it was the dual illuminant profile. However, the Jeffrey Venning profile was a single light source calibration image. This may account ? for why #1 and #2 are the same values.

• 7. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

Does the "venning 3" profile ever get assigned to the image at any point, like as your default profile before you apply your import preset that changes it to "5D Mk 2 Dual Illuminant"?  That would make sense that only the default profile is embedded, not the new one, if something is wrong with the embedding settings in the DNG and it's left over from when the DNG was first embedded.

• 8. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

Another question would be if you actually Export your DNG as another DNG, that one should have all the settings embedded in it, properly, and it'd be useful to know if that way works, and only the Update DNG Preview & Metadata is failing.

• 9. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                          OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

The venning profile is never assigned at any point. That was used for a specific photo shoot on one day only...

• 10. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                            OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion to export as dngs. I have tried both Export as dng and export original. Both were checked on the 2nd machine. Both profiles were incorrect. They only showed the  "20130424 Catalina" profile which is on the 2nd machine. 

• 11. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

Try doing a right-click Save Metadata to File(s) and see if you get more things saved.

• 12. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

OnslowDaisy1 wrote:

I have done this test. I copied over the files from machine #2 and imported them into a new catalog on machine #1. They all showed the correct profiles. Just not on machine #2 which doesn't have any of the correct profiles onboard.
                                I am starting to think this is definitely a bug.

If you haven't already done so please reset the LR preferences file on the #2 system:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?25197-Resetting-the-lightroom-preferences-fi le-updated

Many things can go wrong when the LR preferences file gets corrupted.

• 13. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                                  OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

I have attached a link to a dropbox folder. In it is a zip file containing the following.

1) The last dng I processed using LR5. Notice the profile reads "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile". This is seen on both of my machines. This is the correct profile. I have attached screen captures. Machine2 is the laptop with only one profile on it.

2) A screen grab of all camera profiles in Machine #2. Please note that the profile is different again to the "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" one being the Catalina one.

3) The first dng I processed using LR6. On my Main machine #1, the profile reads "5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile" after Update Dng Previews and metadata has been run. On machine #2, you can see the profile is different being the Venning one. This suggests to me that the correct profile is not being embedded in the dng.

4) A screen grab of machine #2 showing the LR5 processed dng having the correct embedded profile.

5) A screen grab of machine #2 showing the LR6 processed dng having the wrong embedded profile.

Machine#2, the laptop, has a fresh install of LR6.1 on it. There are no preferences set. I don't see how the preferences can give this particular issue. When I view them in ACR, I get the same results as in LR.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96709542/CameraProfileIssuesLR6.zip

• 14. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

The "20130317 Jeff and Pauline Venning 3" profile is embedded in the DNG on Dropbox and at least the first part of a profile name consistent with it is visible on Machine #2 so it doesn't seem like anything is wrong on Machine #2 as the DNG is already messed up before leaving Machine #1.

Let's say we want to reproduce your workflow in LR 6 to see if the same thing happens to us.  Unless you have all the copies of images at the stages, below, archived, then shoot something that has some colors to it but is otherwise meaningless that has a similar WB to the studio shots so we're using the same end of the dual-illuminant profile as those shots do:

Can we have a raw file before importing?

Can we have a copy of the DNG after importing and after any adjustments you've made, but before explicitly "Updating"?

Can we get the DNG after you've attempted to update the preview and metadata?

Can we get a single-image LR catalog that is an Export as Catalog of the same DNG?

We have a copy of the profile you're attempting to assign.

Can we get the Jeff and Pauline Venning 3 profile that is somehow getting embedded?

Can we get a copy of the Catalina profile?

• 15. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                                      OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

I shall do this. It will take several hrs. I shall zip them and dropbox them again.

• 17. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

The After Updates DNG in this zip on dropbox is fine.  It has the expected embedded profile which I have not installed on my system.

What is different with this DNG compared to the one you've included before that has the Venning 3 profile?  Have you looked at this DNG on Machine #2?

Here is a snippet of the XMP data embedded in the After Updates DNG as viewed by opening the DNG with MS WordPad:

Here is a screenshot from the ACR 9.1 plug-in for Photoshop that shows the proper profile as well:

• 18. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                                          OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

Thank you for that. I have performed 2 similar tests. Using this original raw and not tampered with in any way. I performed the following.

Test #1

1)     I copied the rawCR2 file to my #1 machine.

2)     I imported into LR6.1 with my deault import settings of the 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile being set as well as minor presence settings.As part of the import it performs the Convert to Dng.

3)     I copied the file to #2 Machine and checked the Profile. The profile was incorrect.

4)     Then, on #1Machine I ran the Update Dng Previews And Metadata command.

5)     I transferred the dng to #2 machine. The profile was incorrect.

Test #2

2)     I imported into LR6.1 with my deault import settings of the 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile being set as well as minor presence settings.As part of the import it performs the Convert to Dng.

3)     I copied the file to #2 Machine and checked the Profile. The profile was incorrect.

4)     Then, on #1Machine I Held down the Shift KEy and double clicked the whites and blacks sliders to set the black and white clipping points. I ran the Update Dng Previews And Metadata command.

5)     I transferred the dng to #2 machine. The profile was correct!. It read 5DMk2 Dual Illuminant Profile as it should have.

This seems then that if no exposure adjustments are made to the file before running the Update Dng Previews and Metadata command, that the profile is not correctly embedded in the dng. If exposure adjustments are made, then the profile is embedded correctly.

It would seem then that people should be able to replicate this result by trying it for themselves. Would you agree?

• 19. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

From what you’re saying it seems that if a DNG has the default settings, even custom default settings, then no settings are embedded in the DNG, either initially, or when an Update is performed.   This behavior would be correct if Adobe Factory Defaults were in effect on each system the DNG is viewed on, but incorrect if some systems have custom settings, which yours do.

This behavior may be on purpose as an efficiency consideration so that DNGs aren’t updated every single time if there settings haven’t changed, but it seems that DNGs should at least have the initial settings stored in them even if they are the defaults. 

There were problems with ACR 8 and/or LR 5 where DNGs always started off with Adobe Factory Defaults even if custom defaults were in effect, so it’s possible that this bug has returned in some fashion or a different method for fixing was used in LR 6 and it doesn’t work right when embedding settings.  I don’t know.

• 20. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

OnslowDaisy1 wrote:

Using this original raw and not tampered with in any way. I performed the following.

Test #1

4)     Then, on #1Machine I ran the Update Dng Previews And Metadata command.

5)     I transferred the dng to #2 machine. The profile was incorrect.

This seems then that if no exposure adjustments are made to the file before running the Update Dng Previews and Metadata command, that the profile is not correctly embedded in the dng. If exposure adjustments are made, then the profile is embedded correctly.

It would seem then that people should be able to replicate this result by trying it for themselves. Would you agree?

I also use custom default Develop settings that apply a ColorChecker Passport camera profile, but normally don't convert to DNG. I can confirm this behavior with Canon 5D MKII CR2 files on my Windows 7 LR CC 2015.1. Only a single Windows 7 system and ExifToolGUI are used in the below test procedure.

1) Copy a CR2 file to a folder onto Desktop.

2) Import CR2 file into LR CC2015.1 using 'Copy as DNG' to a new Destination sub folder.

3) The DNG file opens in LR and I see my default settings applied, including the ColorChecker Passport camera profile.

4) 'Save Metadata to File' using CTRL + S keys.

5) Open DNG file in ExifToolGUI and examine metadata. No LR Develop XMP Develop data is visible in the XMP-crs data fields:

6) Next  I click on Auto Tone button to apply Basic Tone Settings and then 'Save Metadata to File' using CTRL + S keys.

7) ExifToolGUI now shows the Develop data in the XMP-crs data fields, including the custom ColorChecker Passport camera profile....

I repeated the above test using LR5.7.1 and got the exact same results. None of the Develop settings are saved to the DNG file if the default Develop settings remain unchanged after import (no XMP-crs data). The DNG file is basically an unprocessed raw file. When it is opened on another system the Develop settings will revert to that system's default Develop settings. Those settings may be quite different than on the original system used to import the raw files and include a lot more than just the camera profile.

I have very little experience using DNG converted raw files, but this behavior certainly appears to be a bug.

• 21. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                                                thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This is a bug guys!

I asked about this the other day, not a single reply:

Embed DNG camera profiles from LR6

• 22. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

thedigitaldog wrote:

This is a bug guys!

I asked about this the other day, not a single reply:

Embed DNG camera profiles from LR6

Andrew, at that link you say:

"In a nutshell, when updating previews and metadata for DNG's, the camera profile should be embedded. It appears that's the case but in both LR5, LR6 and ACR, while the profile IS embedded and CAN be selected from the list, it doesn't default to the embedded profile. The default is Adobe Standard. I see what appears to be this 'bug' on Mac OS."

You state that a camera profile is getting embedded in the DNG with LR 6/CC2015, but it's not being selected when imported from the camera profile list. On my Windows 7 system the DNG image file's embedded camera profile (.dcp file) is NOT being used in LR 5, 6, and CC 2015. Only the Camera Profile name and ID is read and used. If a matching profile with the same Name and ID does not exist on the target system it will not be applied. LR will instead choose what it thinks is the closest camera profile.

Test Procedure Used

1) Import raw file (5D MKII CR2) with Copy as DNG.

2) Apply some Develop settings and assign a new camera profile created in DPE that's easy to identify (WB +100 Temp = Green).

3) 'Save Metadata to File' using CTRL + S keys.

4) Remove the DNG file from LR, but leave it on the drive.

4) Close LR and remove the DPE camera profile just assigned to the DNG file from the 'User' Camera Raw profiles folder.

5) Open LR and reimport the removed DNG file using 'Add.'

LR assigns a completely different profile that was coincidentally also created in DPE, but quite different (Inverted Tone Curve). I closed LR, restored the removed camera profile, and reopened LR. The image now appears correctly in the Develop module with the original assigned camera profile. Switching to the Library module still showed the preview with the wrong profile and required zooming to 1:1 to rebuild the preview with the DNG assigned profile.

CONCLUSION

If the camera profile is being embedded into the DNG image file LR 5, 6, CC 2015 appears to only use it when the same profile is installed on the target system. I say "if" because I have no way of actually checking the DNG image file to see if the actual .dcp file data is embedded. Regardless, it doesn't work!

DNG Embedded Profile Issue.jpg

• 23. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

Todd Shaner wrote:

CONCLUSION

If the camera profile is being embedded into the DNG image file LR 5, 6, CC 2015 appears to only use it when the same profile is installed on the target system. I say "if" because I have no way of actually checking the DNG image file to see if the actual .dcp file data is embedded. Regardless, it doesn't work!

Yes, a bug. The idea is the embedded DNG camera profile is accessible from other systems by detecting and using the embedded DNG profile. That's not happening without jumping through hoops; apparently making a change to the DNG along with updating Preview & Metadata will embed the correct profile. Then on the other system, the embedded profile isn't selected even though it does show up in the list of profiles! That list is updated by virtue of importing a single DNG with that profile embedded into LR. Why doesn't LR select it?

• 24. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

Unfortunately that's not the case on my Windows 7 system. Even when the camera profile appears to be properly embedded in the DNG image file it's only usable and available if the target system already has that specific camera profile installed. If it's not installed it doesn't show up in the list. I even tried 'Read Metadata form File' and it's still not used or listed.

Try my 'Test Procedure' as outlined in reply #22.

Embedded DNG Profile                                                                                                        On System With Assigned Profile Not Installed

• 25. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

Todd Shaner wrote:

Even when the camera profile appears to be properly embedded in the DNG image file it's only usable and available if the target system already has that specific camera profile installed. If it's not installed it doesn't show up in the list. I even tried 'Read Metadata form File' and it's still not used or listed.

On Mac, I see the embedded profile but it's not selected. If you look at the LuLa post in my original, SandyMac on Windows determined there was a profile embedded in the OP's DNG (the Jeffrey Venning profile) but on my 2nd machine, Adobe Standard is selected as the assigned profile, yet I do see the Jeffrey Venning profile listed but not selected. It's not installed on the secondary machine but shows up, can be selected and alters the color appearance as one would expect.

Anyway, unless I'm way off base, this is what I thought was supposed to happen: On a DNG, using Update Preview and Metadata command does that and embeds the DNG camera profile. I can't fathom that this isn't supposed to be the selected profile IF one moves the image to another system. Why on earth would Adobe Standard be selected on the secondary machine while the embedded profile is seen in the profile list, from the embedded profile in that single DNG? Something is very wrong here, but I can't get anyone from Adobe to tell me what's supposed to be happening. The current behavior makes no sense at all and affects the color appearance in a bad way (not honoring the embedded profile).

• 26. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

I can tell you it simply does not work on my Windows 7 system with LR CC 2015.1 if the embedded profile is not installed in LR! Since it appears to work on Mac OS X systems I'm guessing the OP's 2nd system ("my sons laptop") is probably a MacBook.

• 27. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                                                            OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

Both machines are Win 7 64 bit running LR6.1 The laptop is a HP. Both are up to date software and OS wise.

In my reply #18, Test #2 showed the correct profile on my sons laptop only if exposure adjustments were made.

But referring to test #1, on the 2nd laptop, even though the venning profile was vible in the list of profiles, the assigned profile was the catalina one, the only profile on the laptop.

I am appreciating everyones assistance here.

• 28. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                                                              OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

Andrew, the tiff you show in the pther post has the 20130317 Jeff and Pauline Vening profile visible but not selected. This profile was NOT selected on the LR6.1 that created the dng then ran Update Dng Previews and Metadata. The profile visible in LR6.1 when the filewas updated was called 5Dmk2 Dual Illuminant Profile. For some reason, that is not being embedded, the venning one is.

So, are there 2 bugs?

Bug #1 - Embeds the incorrect profile from that showing in LR6.1 if no exposure adjustments are made.

Bug #2 - Assigns the Adobe Standard profile from the incorrect embedded file anyway. Or, just thinking about this now, is the 2nd machine somehow recognising the profile is incorrect for the dng even though it's embedded thus defaulting to Adobe Standard for you lot? On my 2nd machine, it defaults instead to the incorrect catalina rofile which is the only one on the 2nd machine.

• 29. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

John Murray wrote:

Andrew, the tiff you show in the pther post has the 20130317 Jeff and Pauline Vening profile visible but not selected.

Is it possible at some time in the past, it was selected and embedded? As you probably know, one can embed more than one DNG profile into a DNG. I can't fathom how that profile would be seen inside your DNG which both SandyMac and I found in the DNG you uploaded if it wasn't in there.

So, are there 2 bugs?

Bug #1 - Embeds the incorrect profile from that showing in LR6.1 if no exposure adjustments are made.

Bug #2 - Assigns the Adobe Standard profile from the incorrect embedded file anyway. Or, just thinking about this now, is the 2nd machine somehow recognising the profile is incorrect for the dng even though it's embedded thus defaulting to Adobe Standard for you lot? On my 2nd machine, it defaults instead to the incorrect catalina rofile which is the only one on the 2nd machine.

I think there are two bugs yes. One for sure; the profile is embedded but not automatically selected (instead, Adobe Standard or some other profile is selected). I've seen this on my end with my DNG's too. As for your #1 bug (embedding the wrong profile), that I can't replicate.

• 30. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                                                                  OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

Andrew, the image I supplied you of my lad on a blue background with some fabrics hanging was shot specifically for this demo of the bug. No file handling was performed except as described in test #1 and #2 in post #18. I used individual profiles per shoot until I saw something by schewe suggesting dual illuminant made more sense. Since then, I made the dual illuminant profile a default for import. It's the first and only one I see now.

• 31. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

John Murray wrote:

Andrew, the image I supplied you of my lad on a blue background with some fabrics hanging was shot specifically for this demo of the bug. No file handling was performed except as described in test #1 and #2 in post #18.

But the image from DropBox you posted on LuLa is the one I'm referring to.

• 32. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                                                                      OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

Ah, gotcha. Those images haven't been handled any different either. The venning profile was NOT applied at any time in their history.

• 33. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

John Murray wrote:

Ah, gotcha. Those images haven't been handled any different either. The venning profile was NOT applied at any time in their history.

But that profile was embedded into that LuLa image. So maybe another bug?

But again, I can't replicate that (embed  profile, find another, different one). I can embed a profile, take it to another machine and while it's listed, it's not selected. That I can replicate.

• 34. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6
                                                                          OnslowDaisy1 Level 1

Andrew, I have reshot a test image and captured 3 stages of its processing.

I have a dropbox link below. Please read the folder names so you can see what was done re processing. At no stage was the venning profile applied. I changed my default camera profile from 5DMK2 Dual Illuminant Profile to Adobe Standard as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96709542/FurtherDNGTests.zip

• 35. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

I just deleted my last post and adding this update to explain why. I don't use DNGs and the mistake I was making in my tests is mentioned by the OP in the original post: "I found out the Update DNG Previews and Metadata is required to actually embed the profile."

I was only using 'Save Metadata to File' (CTRL +S). When using 'Update DNG Preview & Metadata' after making Develop adjustments and assigning a new custom camera profile I can confirm the behavior as #25 and #29. Sorry for causing any confusion to an already complicated bug.

• 36. Re: Problem Embedding camera profiles in dng using LR6

John Murray wrote:

Andrew, I have reshot a test image and captured 3 stages of its processing.

I have a dropbox link below. Please read the folder names so you can see what was done re processing. At no stage was the venning profile applied. I changed my default camera profile from 5DMK2 Dual Illuminant Profile to Adobe Standard as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96709542/FurtherDNGTests.zip

The one folder that contains what appears to be your custom DNG profile (5D MK2 Dual) resides inside the folder Imported withAdobe Standard Default Camera profile. That makes no sense to me! The other two folders have DNG's which are labelled Adobe Standard. Go figure?