3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2015 12:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Help transferring HD Mini DV's from my Cannon Hv20

princetonc

Hi and thanks in advance for your help!

I have 200 Mini DV's I need to transfer that were created through my Cannon HV 20. I'm using Premiere Elements 11 and it's on my dell pc.

My problem is the right settings for the Cannon and Premiere to capture the HD miniDV. It seems when I transfer and playback in windows media, parts of the tape speed up and slow down. Sort of our of Sync. So it must be my settings.

My Cannon camera is set on Auto on the output Player 1 and on Player 2 DV output HDV/DV.

The hard part is Premiere 11. What should my Projects settings be when I start a new project? Under NTSC:  AVCHD 1080p60 or under HDV HDV 1080i 30?

Are there any other specific settings in the Capture settings once I'm on that screen? Either under general? Video/Frame Size. Or under device control. There are so many options and don't want to screw this up.

Plus on the capture monitor when I'm capturing, there's no video, it says to look at the hardware/camera.

Thanks for your help. BTW, what is the best playback tool? Windows media? I tried quick time, but it gives me an error.

Thanks again, Gordon

• 1. Re: Help transferring HD Mini DV's from my Cannon Hv20
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gordon

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running? I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit and NTSC system.

If your camera is set to record HDV data, then you need to set up for a HDV data capture firewire into the Premiere Elements 11 Capture Window.

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset manually to

NTSC

HDV

HDV 1080i30

The how to steps for that are

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
          • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
          • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
          • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Your Add Media choice will be HDV Camcorder.

Then start the capture.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Capture video

If your camera is set to record DV 4:3 data, the project preset that you set manually beforehand is

NTSC

DV

Standard

and you use Add Media = DV Camcorder.

If your camera is set to record DV 16:9 data, the project preset that you set manually beforehand is

NTSC

DV

Widescreen

and you use Add Media = DV Camcorder

Please review, consider, and then let us know if you are OK with the details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Help transferring HD Mini DV's from my Cannon Hv20
            princetonc Level 1

Hi A. T.

Thanks for your expeditious response. To your questions. Yes, windows 7. As for the Rec/in Set up for my Cannon Hv20. It has 4 areas:

DV Rec Mode which the options are SP or LP. I have it on SP

DV Audio     Set on 12 bit, not 16

AV > DV  Off

File Nos.  > (an arrow point right) , not set on continuous.

The only place I see the 4.3 or 16.9 is on Playback Set Up1 which has a TV Type which I have set at 16.9 not 4.3

Thanks for the answer, but I'm not sure my REC has the 4.3 or 16.9 unless that what it is noted just above.

I understand setting the NTSC on the HDV part, but not sure about 4.3 and 16.9 instructions. Thanks and best, Gordon

• 3. Re: Help transferring HD Mini DV's from my Cannon Hv20
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gordon

For setting the Canon HV 20 recording to DV 4:3 or 16:9 or HDV (which is 16:9), please see page 38 of your Canon HV20 instruction manual. The details are there.

http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/software/video/HV20_manual.pdf

Your camcorder has an iLink (HDV/DV terminal)....see page 102 of the Canon HV20 instruction manual.

You connect a firewire cable (needs to be a firewire cable)  from that HDV/DV terminal to the firewire port of the computer.

For specifics of connecting from your camcorder to computer, see page 76 of the Canon HV20 instruction manual.

Note the PLAY mode setting on the camcorder for capture. See page 29 of the Canon HV20 instruction manual.

The instructions for the Premiere Elements part of this are already detailed. If you need further coordination between the camcorder settings, details of the capture, and Premiere Elements settings, please do not hesitate to ask after you review and consider the additional details given in this post.

Thank you.

ATR