10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 4:10 PM by Todd_Kopriva

After Effects 2015 Preview

andrusj24669042

I really don't like the new way that After Effects does the preview. Instead of loading and playing a selection, is just tries to render everything, but most of the time I can't hear the audio going along with the video, and then I can't stop the preview with spacebar anymore, I have to click on the time ruler. Why can't it just be like the 2014 version?

• 1. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's a description of the new preview system: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

Let us know if you have any other questions after you study up on the new system.

• 2. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview
            fatliam

Hi. I'm finding the new AE preview settings bit awkward and unresponsive too. I'm having to double tap the spacebar which causes some unpleasant lagging in the video and audio. The CTI doesn't always catch up with the actual point in the timeline.

And why has the red CTI marker disappeared? It only exists at the top of the timeline now - not over the layers.

I've read the Adobe "All about Previews" document but I still don't understand what all the new preview settings are?

In short I'm finding it quite disruptive to my workflow. I'm sure in time it will all become normal - but I do feel that this has been rushed out and doesn't really aide my workflow.

• 3. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is an update that is targeted to come out in the next couple of weeks to fix a lot of the issues with previews.

• 4. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview
                NordicFilmworks Level 1

Welcome to the beta test of After Effects 2015

• 5. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview
                  Snakedogman Level 1

There are certainly some issues still with the new preview, and at the same time it will require a bit of workflow adjustment as well.

In theory the biggest difference (at least as far as I understand it) between the old and the new preview when you hit this numpad 0 (or now also spacebar) is that at the same time as starting to caching the frames, AE also starts playback immediately. But of course most of the time the playback on this first "pass" will be choppy as the caching of new frames is slower than the playback speed. But with the old system you'd have to wait too.

I find myself using the work area locators more for preview purposes, which seems to help getting a bit more control.

But there are some issues with the audio playback performance, as well as the interface performance while previewing. Theoretically you should be able to manipulate the interface now without interrupting the preview. But in practice I find that the interface often becomes unresponsive while running the preview. Also the interface responds to the mouse pretty well, but not very well to keyboard input (shortcut keys, typing in text/number boxes). Sometimes keyboard input is virtually impossible while running the preview.

Also I find that for some reason you have to press numpad 0 or spacebar twice a lot of the time in order to stop the preview. Sometimes it doesn't seem to respond at all the subsequent presses of numpad 0 or spacebar and I have to hammer either button in order for AE to stop the preview. Very annoying.

Another thing I noticed it that sometimes I've previewed and cached an area of the timeline and it's playing back realtime. But when I stop and want to restart the playback once more on the same bit, playback is not realtime anymore and AE has to start caching again (even though the green bar is filled). It won't start playing realtime until it has made a whole other pass again even though all the frames show as cached.

Sometimes the green bar/cached frames just starts dissapearing for no apparent reason (I've got plenty of RAM left) and I have to cache all the frames again...

So all in all there certainly seem to be several issues. But at least several of these have been acknowledged in the known issues document (known issues in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest) and Adobe says they will have bugfixes in an update this month. So I'm reasonably confident that the new preview will feel better after that.

For the time being though, the new preview is too unreliable for me to work with so I'm keeping with CC2014.

• 6. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview
                    Josh mehler Level 1

When is a fix for this coming out.  I'm getting tired of force quitting AE just to stop preview.  I absolutely HATE the new version of preview.  I want RAM preview back.  VERY VERY unhappy with this.  It's a killer for me. 

• 7. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview

If you don't like it, simply use CC 2014 until the fix comes out.

• 8. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview
                        juicybiscuit

That's all well and good but how does a piece of software get released that has such a vital part of it pretty much bug ridden/broken from the outset? Last time I looked I didn't see 'beta' next to the release version......

It's one thing to change the way the Preview works but at least get it working from the outset. When introducing a change to the most used part of the program why not

QA it properly prior to release? Maybe I'm being a little harsh but pretty much everyone I know who is using it is pulling their hair out over the new Preview - and not just in a "It's a new way of doing things I can't adapt" type way.

If it's not ready - don't release. And if you DO release why not leave the "Don't delete older version" box checked by default? Just saying....

On another note I'm wondering if the comp playback when rendering will re-appear? Not that I loved it (and caps locked it off most of the time) but it did get me out of a few holes once I had noticed layers turned off that should have been turned on/typos etc etc.

• 9. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview

jason moss wrote:

On another note I'm wondering if the comp playback when rendering will re-appear?

I've heard the AE team say that it will return. Not a vital feature, as you said, but it can be useful at times.

• 10. Re: After Effects 2015 Preview
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update is available, with many fixes to previews and more: http://adobe.ly/1Il5JYe