26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2015 6:21 AM by A.T. Romano

Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)

HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Having had a work-induced break from Video editing for a couple of weeks I just tried to import some photos (JPG) intro an older existing project - and failed.

This is PE 13.1 on a WIN7 PC.  Plenty of space available on the internal disks.

In the organizer I do "Import" / "From Files and Folders" and then select the desired photo.

I get two Element Organizer popups - the small one in front says "Import Failed" (but gives no reason).

The popup behnd shows the path to the file with the progress bar at 95%.  Once one closes the small

popup the larger one also dissappears leaving a small white-on-black message "1 Media item imported".

But it does not appear to be there.

Happens with both large (5.2 MB) and small (820 KB) JPG files.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELLECHOMIKE

If you cannot import these photos into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1, can you import them into a Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project?

Start with deleting or disabling the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 settings file found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming to psa.prfOLD.

A shortcut for the above might be...as hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift, hold down the Elements Organizer Tab (bottom left of Expert workspace) for about 35 seconds or until pop up appears asking for permission to delete settings files. When you see that message, still hold down on Ctr+Alt+Shift, and click on Yes. Then release the keys hold down. Sometimes this can be difficult to execute. That is why I suggested the long way.

Please let us know if that works for you. If not, then we will move to repair and optimizing the catalog (File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager) or even creating a new catalog.

Also to me looked at a the jpeg photos and if and how they might have been edited in another project.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

As suggested I tried importing into my Premiere Elements 13.1 project and that worked (most odd).

This is a project using old pre-HD video files (AVI) & previously I had imported JPG files which I had shruck using IrfanView.

Now I was trying an original-sized JPG (example) as I wanted to use PAN & Zoom without it getting to jaggy.

Dropbox - IMG_1713.JPG

Pan & Zoom now looks fine - the rendering took ages but I suppose that is because of the high resolution of the

JPG file & the necessary computation.

Importing into the Premiere Elements 13.1 project worked thus so far I did no try disabling the Organizer settings file.

But as in my original report I'd been unable to import shrunk files today.

• 3. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIK

Thanks for the follow up.

I downloaded your jpeg and was able to import it into Elements Organizer 13/13.1 as well as Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor without issue.

The computer is Windows 7 64 bit.

If you are using Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit and the photo imports without issue in the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor, our best first troubleshooting step would be deleting of the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 settings file. With version 13/13.1 on 64 bit system, there should not be any problem related to frame size 5184 x 3456 pixels.

What are your computer resource....available RAM and free hard drive space? From where are you importing the jpeg into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 workspace? Is this problem specific for one jpeg in a batch or all the jpegs in a batch? Do you have jpegs that do import into this Elements Organizer?

ATR

• 4. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

My PC is an i3-4130 at 3.40 GHz (I know its not the most powerful around).  PE 13.1.

It has 8 GB main memory & WIN7 64-bit OS.

Drive C is an SSD with 52 GB available from 111 GB.

Drive D is a conventional disk with 1.67 TB available from 1.81 TB.

I was attempting to import the jpeg from a directory on drive D (something that I have done a number of times last month.

Before starting this thread I attempted to import a number of jpegs of varying resolutions & sizes & from different directories.

I have not yet tried disabling the organizer settings file but have located it.

It has a "last changed" date of 2 days ago.

HEM

• 5. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

We will await your results with deletion of the Elements Organizer settings file (psa.prf).

If you have not already, please close the Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

Open the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor to its Expert workspace,

Import one of your problem photos into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets and drag the photo to the project's Timeline.

Click on the Organizer Tab at the bottom of the Expert workspace in order to open the Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

When the Elements Organizer 13/13.1, do you see a copy of the photo that you just imported into the Editor? Or does the program crash?

ATR

• 6. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                    HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Do you suggest I delete/move the psa.prf file before I try the other actions in your post above or vica-versa?

• 7. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

I would probably disable the psa.prf file by renaming it to psa.prfOLD, then determine if your photo(s) will import into Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

Then if that does not work, determine if the photo(s) are copied automatically into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 immediately after they are imported first into the Editor with the Editor's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets after drag to Timeline.

ATR

• 8. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                        HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

OK - I finally got around to renaming the psa.prf file.

The effect was same as before - stopped at 95%.  Similar happens if I try to import another video clip instead of a photo.

A new psa.prf file appears.

As mentioned a few posts above it had worked importing a photo directly into the video's timeline but it does not appear within the Elements orgamizer - at least I could not see it.

Anyhow - I will be out the next couple of weeks and thus not able to do anything more on this front.  I'm back on the 1st August.

• 9. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELCHOMIKE

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better.

In any of what you have done, did it include creating a new catalog? If so...

In view of the circumstances, I think that you should consider program uninstall, free ccleaner run through, and reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

We can discuss this further if you want to when your schedule permits.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 10. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                            HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

So now I am back, with additional video fottage to edit...

I'muncertain what you meant by "creating a new catalog".  When I start Premier Elements 13.1 Organizer I see all imported video clips & photos - there are currently 6 local Albums each of which contain a subset of the total...  There must be about 100 video clips, photos & mp3 files in total - not a lot I would have thought.

My system is a PC with WIN7 / 64-bit.  We use Avast! Free Antivirus.  The PC has no firewall installed - all systems in our house (PCs UNIX...) go through a hardware router which has firewall functionality.

You suggest de-installing etc.  What effect will this have on my existing video projects (I have one that is almost complete - maybe I should finalise that first but there is always something additional to be tried).  Then I have a couple of "just started" projects...

Best method to uninstall?  Via the Windows function?

I've downloaded cccleaner - run with default options?

Is there anything else I should clean out before re-installing?

Reinstall PE13 from DVD

Update to 13.1

ALl advice gratefully received

• 11. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

For the uninstall...

Uninstall the usual Control Panel way

Then do the free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)  CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Then reinstall using your installation disc (with antivirus disabled).

Do not update to 13.1 until you are sure that 13 is working without problems (includes Premiere Elements and its Elements Organizer).

The uninstall reinstall described above should not cause problems with existing projects. Your major concerns include

a. do not move, delete, or rename any Files/Folders that were imported into the project file after the project file is saved closed.

b. any user custom made presets

Before all that, are you able to create a new catalog? In doing that you are not destroying the old, just not using it and making the new catalog your current catalog. Right now we can use this idea as a troubleshooting tool. If photos cannot be installed in the new (current catalog), then you can close the new and go back to the previous catalog to make it your current catalog again.

ATR

• 12. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Thats for the advice.

I'm still uncertain what you meant by "creating a new catalog".

• 13. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                  HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Typos:

Thanks for the advice.

I'm still uncertain what you meant by "creating a new catalog".

• 14. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

Adobe describes an Elements Organizer catalog

A catalog is a file in which Elements Organizer maintains information about imported media. When you import media, basic info such as file name and location are updated in the file. As you keep working on the file in Elements Organizer, the file is further updated to reflect those changes.

The catalog has the information behind all that you have imported into it (seen as thumbnails). Elements Organizer can have more than one catalog.

Elements Organizer Help | Creating and editing catalogs

What you would be doing here in creating a new catalog is exploring the idea that the old one is contaminated in some way. Before you create a new catalog, you could see if Repair or Optimize Catalog in the Catalog Manger has any impact on the problem.

When you are in the Elements Organizer, go to File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager.

In the Catalog Manager, you can create a new catalog. See New button option. When you enter, you are using a catalog with is tagged (current).

After you create the new catalog, the old will still be there. But, the (current) tag will now be on the new catalog. Please see the Adobe link above for more details on this.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. If not, please let me know what supplemental information you need.

ATR

• 15. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                      HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

So this is interesting...

So far I have not gone down the de-install / ccclean / re-install path...

Following your latest instructions I created a new catalog "CAT-2015" and was able to import the HD video clips (90!) from recent vacation.

No errors, no "Import Failed".

What do we conclude from this?

HEM

• 16. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Your latest result (new catalog) suggests a possible contamination of the catalog that you have been using.

But, I would ask "Before creating the new catalog, did you try the Repair and Optimize options in the Catalog Manager dialog in the problem Elements Organizer?

Recently my Elements Organizer would not let me delete certain thumbnails. Others no problem. When this had happened previously, I just created a new catalog. This latest time, instead of doing that, I used those two options (Repair and Optimize), and that cleared up the problem and allowed be to delete those thumbnails that had refused to be deleted.

ATR

• 17. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                          HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Today I only did exactly the steps described in my mail ca. 9 hours ago.

So far I have not tried the "Repair and Optimize options".

Would you suggest that I swicth back to the original (default) catalog and try that?

HEM

• 18. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Thanks for the reply.

I would definitely switch back to the original catalog and try the Repair and then Optimize options. In doing that, you just make the old catalog your current catalog again. You do not have to get rid of the new one that you created. It remains there disabled until you make it the current catalog again.

If this works, it would seem to save a lot of time putting all those files in the new.

We will be watching for the results when you have the time to post again.

Thank you for exploring the suggestions.

Best wishes

ATR

• 19. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                              HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

So I currently have two catalogs:

Mein Catalog  (the default - originally I'd installed PE13 with language = German but some time ago de-installed & re-Installed with lang=English)

CAT-2015

I did File / Manage Calatogs / Catalog Manager

I selected the original Mein Catalog.

In order that the Repair or Optimze buttons became active I had to highlight Mein Catalog.

I clicked on Repair - No errors found.

Repair anyway?  Yes

Then Optimize - The catalog & thumbnail cache have been successfully optimized.

All looked promising - but when I tried to add a photo to the original catalog it failed with the usual error.

• 20. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Thanks for the update for the results. Sorry that Repair and Optimize did not do that for your original Elements Organizer catalog.

You have already done the deletion of the Elements Organizer settings file (psa.prf).

Is there a remote possibility that you have some corrupt files in the Elements Organizer rather than a generalized corrupt Elements Organizer?

With that thought, have you gone through the thumbnails in the original Elements Organizer looking for any signs of problems with individual files?

ATR

• 21. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                                  HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I went through the thumbnails (assuming you mean the mini pictures shown in the Organizer) and did not see anything weird.

The original catalog contains JPG files, AVI files (from a Sony non-HD Camcorder), mp3 files and HD files from my Panasonic HD Camcorder.

I have not knowingly uploaded any corrupted JPG or video files.

The interesting thing is - I cannot delete anything from the original catalog either.

When I try to delete a JPG from the original catalog (I select NOT to also delete from Hard Disk), I first get an Elements Organizer popup with a progress bar that instantly goes to 100% and then another popup that says "Error Deleting media".

I suppose I could (try to) delete the original (default) catalog, create one or more new ones but I wonder what happens to my partially completed video projects as I assume they refer to the original catalog name.

• 22. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

The interesting thing is - I cannot delete anything from the original catalog either.

When I try to delete a JPG from the original catalog (I select NOT to also delete from Hard Disk), I first get an Elements Organizer popup with a progress bar that instantly goes to 100% and then another popup that says "Error Deleting media".

This "Error Deleting Media"  occurs more often than I would prefer when I want to delete certain items just from the Elements Organizer. Until the last time this happened, I was creating new catalog as the remedy. But, last time I tried the Repair, followed by Optimize, in the Catalog Manager and that allowed that current catalog to go back to "normal" where I could delete what I wanted to from that particular catalog.

The Premiere Elements Editor source media refer back to the originals at their hard drive save location, not what is in the Elements Organizer whose copies  trace back to the hard drive save location for its files. So, as long as you do not disturb the connection between the Premiere Elements Editor copies and the originals for it on the hard drive, you should be OK, project wise.

But, do this on a mini test run scale to valid this before making this a grand scale operation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 23. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                                      HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

I tried Repair / Optimize on the original (default) catalog without effect.

It seems that I cannot do anything with the original catalog - adding, deletion doesn't work, also cannot delete an album within the catalog.

It seems that the only thing I can do is to create new catalogs (like one for each year rather than all-in-one) and to re-create the albums in the appropriate catalogs.

I hope I can delete the original (default) catalog.

• 24. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

HEM

Thanks for the reply.

If you decide to delete the problem catalog, you can consider two routes

Elements Organizer

File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager

but....

a. If you have existing catalogs and the one that you want to delete is not the "current" catalog, then you highlight/select that non current problem catalog and hit Remove.

b. If all that you have is the problem catalog (listed as current), the Remove will be grayed out. In this case, you create a new catalog so that it becomes the current catalog, then you delete the now non current problem catalog using Remove.

The catalogs can be found in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

ATR

• 25. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                                          HOTELECHOMIKE Level 1

Finally I created a number of smaller catalogs (although the original default could not be described as "large") and then deleted the original default catalog.

What one has learnt is that the video project points to the real location of the video clip / photos (assuming it was always on the internal disk) and not to the organizer itself.  In fact, if one keeps the clips / photos well-orgaiised into directories it is not necessary to use the Elements Organizer...

ANyhow, it seems that I'm back in buisness.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

HEM

• 26. Re: Can no longer import Photos into Elements Organizer (PE13.1)
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

HOTELECHOMIKE

Thanks for the update. Great news - back in business.

Valuable lesson...when you import source media into the Premiere Elements editor or the Elements Organizer workspace, all you get are copies of the originals which remain at their hard drive save location(s). But, those copies need to trace back to the originals at their hard drive save location(s) where they were when they were first imported in the Editor or Organizer. If you move, delete, or rename files and folders that went into the project after you save close the project, you will run into difficult media offline issues and the associated "Where is the file _____?" messages.

Best wishes

ATR