10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 5:00 PM by TDHeller

LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported

TDHeller Level 1

Here is my problem - I did a photo shoot yesterday and the day before. When I imported the photos, I inadvertently sent them to the wrong drive (I:) - Which is My backup drive rather than to (D:) my work drive.

Since then I have tried to 1.) import them to the correct drive (D:) 2.0 Export them to the correct drive (D:) - However when I did this they were possibly set for web posting and subsequently re-sized to small Jpegs.

These I cannot use to edit in lightroom or effectively even view them properly.

I have tried moving the files on disk but am not allowed to because they already exist - Likewise with Exporting the Corrected size files. I am simply going MAD after 12 hours of trying to resolve this simple issue!

Anyone with a viable suggestion will be appreciated. Please try to be helpful though - I think I have tried the BASIC solutions and would appreciate a direct method of accomplishing this.

I think I still have the originals on my camera cards - and would be happy to delete exerything and re import if there were any assurance this would be a solution that worked.

Thanks in advance

Tim

• 1. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to figure out which copies are the resized ones. They are probably the smaller ones on the D: drive. You should delete those after confirming they are the resized ones. Then within Lightroom, you move the original images on I: to D: by dragging them inside Lightroom to the correct place. This should resolve the issue. You can also indeed delete them all and reimport but that is probably not necessary.

• 2. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
            EricBier Level 3

When things like this happen to me, I delete the files that I imported, and re-import the files from the card.  For the files that ended up in Lightroom, use Lightroom to delete them, for files not in Lightroom, delete using you system.  As a precaution, remove your card from the card reader while you are deleting files.

• 3. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

You just need to drag and drop the files from the wrong location to the desired location.

If you need to move just a small number of files, you can do this from within the Lightroom "folders" panel.

If you need to move a larger number of files, you are better off moving them using your OS tools (finder or explorer) then "relocating" the folder in LR.

Importing the files a second time is never the correct answer.

• 4. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
                EricBier Level 3

ManiacJoe wrote:

Importing the files a second time is never the correct answer.

It may not be the correct answer for you, but there are certainly times, like in this case, when it may be a good idea.  The OP indicated that 12 hours was spent trying to sort this out.  I would prefer to spend 10 minutes deleting and re-importing.

Perhaps you could provide some documentation with at least the authority of an Adobe Lightroom programmer that importing a second time is NEVER the correct answer.  I certainly would like to be aware of such an admonition.

• 5. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
                  TDHeller Level 1

OK Thanks EVERYONE for your input. So now for the solution that worked... Drum roll please.

I did end up Deleting all the files and directories on D: from my OS - Then trying to re-import the files from my card to D: - no luck - LR Remembered that they were ONCE There apparently and disallowed.

(Joe) - Dragging and dropping files via LR resulted in the slashed circle on the files in LR (can't do this mouse dialog) So drag and drop would not work in this case without deleting files in the OS as a record of the import was already in LR.

Fortunately my Backup Drive (I:) is external and switch powered. I Switched off the drive - still no good. FINALLY while Pouring over the Import Dialog yet again, I noted and unchecked the DO NOT IMPORT SUSPECTED DUPLICATES  box - then I was able to import all files to D: from the card and now have both files and Backups. - Fortunately there was no card format in between!

Sorry for being so dumb about this - but in fairness, the advice from ADOBE to Never mess with file structure outside of LR is just ludicrous (Thanks Eric). And though it was my forgetfulness about the tick-mark on the Import settings (set long ago) - I would hope for a more obvious way to do this. Accidents do happen and it should be much easier to recover than this proved to be. Thanks again everyone for your help !

Tim

• 6. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the files are in LR, already, and you want to reimport them, you merely have to remove them from LR using LR commands, then it won't know about them anymore and will let you reimport them.

Because you didn't do this you now have two copies (or more) of the files in LR and should probably remove (all) the set(s) you don't want, presumably the ones on your I: drive and possible extraneous locations on your D: drive.

And when Joe said to drag-and-drop the files from I: to D:, he meant to do it without the files already existing on D: due to copying them there outside of LR or exporting them, there.

In other words, immediately after you realized you'd imported to I: instead of D:, you should have just dragged the I: folder over to the D: drive in the folder area of LR.  That's it.

• 7. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
                      TDHeller Level 1

Thank YOU for you answer ALSO. But addressing a solution long after it has been posted and resolved - does little to help the OP and much to confuse further queries on the subject.

Removing ALL the files as per your direction may be the most technically elegant and pro forma pristine method - However it is much simpler and more direct in a real world to do as I have.

But thank you so very much for your concerns about my workflow and light-room program integrity. They are of value.

• 8. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
                        Bob Somrak Level 5

TDHeller wrote:

Thank YOU for you answer ALSO. But addressing a solution long after it has been posted and resolved - does little to help the OP and much to confuse further queries on the subject.

Then the OP (you)  SHOULD have marked an answer as correct so others would not have to read all the replies.  Also, having more than one answer to a question is always handy. 

• 9. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you accidentally import your photos to the backup drive, again, will you know what to do? 

• 10. Re: LIGHTROOM 5 - resized my original JPEGS when exported
                            TDHeller Level 1

Excuse me... Just why I hate posting here... But thanks just the same.