7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 7:12 AM by ECBowen

What is the best GPU for Adobe CC 2015 for Canon 5d mk3/C100/C300 footage?

Tyler Sparks

Hello,

I am looking upgrade my current video card for a faster card to use more color option in CC15. What would be best upgrade?

Footage I am editing =  Canon 5D mk2, 6D, 60D, 5D mk3, c100 mk1, c100 mk2, C300. With Atomos NINJA 2 Pro 10-bit 422 ProRes

Here is my current specs for my machine.

i7-3770k 3.5GHz

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

32GB RAM

64-Bit Windows 7 Pro

Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB (OS)

Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB (Disk Cache)

4x Seagate 3TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal (Media non RAID)

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

NVIDIA Quadro 2000D

Antec P280 Black Aluminum / Steel Super Mid Tower Computer Case

High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified

• 1. Re: What is the best GPU for Adobe CC 2015 for Canon 5d mk3/C100/C300 footage?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

a gtx 960 would be the minimum i'd recommend, it should handle several gpu effects and the lumetri color in playback. the next option up is the gtx 970, which is a fair amount faster.

• 2. Re: What is the best GPU for Adobe CC 2015 for Canon 5d mk3/C100/C300 footage?
            Tyler Sparks Level 1

Thanks,

Another question for you. Are these Adobe Certified and will they run ProRes 10-bit files?

Thanks!!!!!

• 3. Re: What is the best GPU for Adobe CC 2015 for Canon 5d mk3/C100/C300 footage?

they are not listed on the adobe website, but many pages of the website are outdated or missing information. System requirements | Adobe Premiere Pro  people have been using the 900 series cards for a while now and report good results. one adobe staff posted they are officially supported. the only limitation i've seen is with after effects, the 900 series don't work with the ray tracing feature. that feature is being replaced with C4D.

these cards will play anything that premiere can, so as long as premiere is able to read the media, the card should work with the mercury playback engine. if you are asking about 10-bit out for a professional monitor, then no. you would need a quadro or a display add-in card for 10bit display out. the add-in card can be much cheaper as the high end quadro's are very expensive. you can also try using your quadro for 10bit dedicated display, as premiere supports multiple gpu's. if needed, the nvidia control panel has an option to select by program, which card will be used for cuda.

• 4. Re: What is the best GPU for Adobe CC 2015 for Canon 5d mk3/C100/C300 footage?
                Tyler Sparks Level 1

Thanks again for the help.

It would seems the NVIDIA GTX 960 would be a set down from NVIDIA Quadro 2000D due to the CUDA cores. The 2000D works OK for 1008p  8-bit 4:2:0 in Adobe Premiere CC 2015, but I am looking to upgrade to be able to edit 1080p 10-bit 4:2:2 and possible larger formats. 

So let me rephrase my question,

Would going from Quadro 2000D to Quadro K2200 be enough for an upgrade to run ProRes 10-bit 4:2:2 video realtime? Or do I need to go the extra step up to Quadro K4200 which seems like a jump in specs and price.

Once again, thanks

• 5. Re: What is the best GPU for Adobe CC 2015 for Canon 5d mk3/C100/C300 footage?
                  JFPhoton Level 3

To gain performance you should overclock your CPU for a significant boost.....many with your chip are running at 4.5Ghz and beyond.....that is why you have the "K" version, for overclocking!!

Next,   the 840 EVOs are NOT ideal SSDs for video editing...ask Bill Gehrke on this forum.....he had problems using them. The Samsung 850 Pro series is the best, however,  the Crucial MX200 series is a close second.  If you are not having write speed issues with those EVOs, you are lucky.

Thirdly,  the speed of the drives which contain your media is important. You have a huge pile of non - RAIDED 3 TB drives.....each running independently with each subject to fill-degradation, latency, and fragmentation. This will SLOWWW your machine DOWWWWN !!!  You may want to consider adding a fast 1 TB SSD to place your WORKING files on, ( media and projects), THEN use your existing HDDs to hold the exports, backups, and archive. Whatever feeds your media while editing needs to be FAST. There is a HUGE difference in performance if the media drive is running at 550MB/sec. vs. a half full HDD running at 100, or, 80 MB/sec. !!! Make sure your WORKING drives are all fast.

Now...the GPU. I could be WRONG,but, I think I have seen that you MAY use two DIFFERENT NVidia GPU cards ONLY IF the are both using THE SAME DRIVER !!  So, if your Quadro uses the same driver as a new 9xx series NVidia GPU, you may be in luck, where the quadro would drive a 10bit monitor !!. There is no need to "SLI" ,or do anything....the two cards automatically work together.

The 980ti now appears to be  the best performance value right now, however, the REST of your computer would need to be of a certain level in order to gain the benefit.  Eric Bowen , here on the forum and at ADK Computers can tell you if such a card is worth it on your rig....or, if something lower, like the 970 would be just as good on your machine.

You may want to visit PPBM7.com and take the benchmark test for video editing performance with PPro to see if you have "bottlenecks", and to see how it performs  vs. other machines.

Forget using quadro cards....they are ridiculously expensive and are WAY behind the GeForce cards in performance. In fact, Eric here has said many times that the ONLY reason to even have a quadro would be if it absolutely was necessary to output to a 10bit monitor.

• 6. Re: What is the best GPU for Adobe CC 2015 for Canon 5d mk3/C100/C300 footage?

Tyler Sparks wrote:

It would seems the NVIDIA GTX 960 would be a set down from NVIDIA Quadro 2000D due to the CUDA cores.

not sure what spec's you are seeing for the two cards, nvidia's website says the gtx 960 has 1024 cuda cores and the quadro 2000D has 192 cuda cores. nvidia has also changed their hardware architecture, so its no longer a fair comparison of cuda vs cuda. the new cards offer better performance per cuda core.

GeForce GTX 960 | Specifications | GeForce

Quadro 2000D

Tyler Sparks wrote:

Would going from Quadro 2000D to Quadro K2200 be enough for an upgrade to run ProRes 10-bit 4:2:2 video realtime? Or do I need to go the extra step up to Quadro K4200 which seems like a jump in specs and price.

unless you need the 10bit output or want "workstation" grade hardware, there is no reason to use quadro with premiere. if you need 10bit out, there are the cheaper alternatives i listed above. the gtx 960 on generic benchmarks is close to 5x faster than the quadro 2000D, 2x faster than the quadro K2200, and around 30% faster than the quadro K4200. the quadro K2200 would not be advisable with gpu effects and lumetri color usage. the quadro K5200 would be comparable to the gtx 960, the quadro K6000 close to the gtx 970, and quadro M6000 close to the gtx 980 ti and titan X. if you are willing to spend $800 on a quadro K4200, you can consider the gtx 970 for $330, which is close to 2x as fast.

here are some previous posts of people setting up gtx+quadro. since premiere supports multiple gpu's now, it may not be required to use the nvidia control panel to disable cuda on the quadro. as JFPhoton points out, the driver installation seems to be the tricky part.

10 bit monitor option without Quadro | Adobe Community

Quadro k4000 vs GTX 760. which one for AE | Adobe Community

the gtx 750 & 960 are currently the best value cards, anything above or below costs more for performance per dollar. the gtx 970 is still an ok value as its a good bit faster. anything above the gtx 970 becomes expensive for performance per dollar.

you are just doing HD 1080p from the looks of it right? if you are doing 4k or plan on 4k in the near future, you may want to upgrade the computer more.

• 7. Re: What is the best GPU for Adobe CC 2015 for Canon 5d mk3/C100/C300 footage?
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would suggest a 960GTX 4GB card or a 970 GTX. Both would do well with that system.

Eric

ADK