I have an flv file with a variable frame rate. The file's duration is two hours, thirty-nine minutes, four seconds and eleven frames. Its frame rate is 25 fps.
Premiere Elements does not accept flv files.
I used XMedia Recode to copy it into a PE-friendly container, specifically an mp4 container.
I then pulled the mp4 file into Premiere Elements.
At first it appeared to pull it in fine. It conformed fine, I thought, etc.
I put it on the timeline. The clip's duration on the timeline was exactly what it should have been, two hours, thirty-nine minutes, four seconds and eleven frames.
And that's when I noticed the problem.
The video was playing back s-l-o-w-l-y. And, when I first noticed this, I didn't notice what was perhaps the bigger problem: The duration of the file on the timeline was the CORRECT duration of the original file, two hours, thirty-nine minutes, four seconds and eleven frames. You will see in a moment why this was a problem.
I right-clicked the file in the Project Assets window and went to Interpret Footage.
At which point I discovered that Premiere Elements erroneously thought the file should play back at 20.3280 frames a second.
"Well," I thought to myself, "Simple. Tell Premiere Elements to assume a frame rate of 25 frames a second."
So I put that in, and took a second look at the file on the timeline.
The video was now playing back fine.
But the audio was now playing way too fast.
Because the duration of the clip had changed; it was now two hours and nine minutes.
And that's when I realized my real problem: Even though Premiere Elements, PE, had erroneously thought the clip's frame rate was 20 frames a second, it had NOT correspondingly lengthened the clip's duration accordingly; instead, it had left it at two hours, thirty-nine minutes, four seconds and eleven frames.
So when I changed the clip's frame rate to 25 frames a second, PE also did two things: it shortened the duration of the clip to 2 hours and 9 minutes, and it had sped up the audio to fit within that new duration.
So my problem is that every time I correct the frame rate I wind up with the wrong duration. Every time I keep the correct duration I wind up with the wrong frame rate.
I've tried for three hours trying to trick PE. I've tried changing the frame rate and then going into Time Stretch to change the duration. No dice; sometimes it works but then my frame rate is screwed up again. Sometimes it simply refuses to take the new duration. I have not even been able to figure out why it sometimes take the duration I'm telling it to accept and other times it just pops back to the old duration.
In short, I'm stuck.
I tried totally recoding and converting the original flv file before putting it into PE, taking it down a whole generation, in other words, at which point everything's fine. But surely there's a way for me to do this without taking that drastic and quality-degrading step.
I look forward to your expertise. Thank you!