6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 12:33 PM by savelenf82443120

Why is my fill disappearing after applying bones to a shape? 2015 CC version

savelenf82443120

I can't figure out why this is happening....

i am using a mac with OS Yosemite 10.10.3

Previous to this issue, while i was still using the 2014 version i would have a similar problem with fills randomly vanishing.

Any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: Why is my fill disappearing after applying bones to a shape? 2015 CC version
          savelenf82443120 Level 1

Is the answer to this issue... that a shape must be created using Object Drawing mode for it to work correctly?

If that is correct, is there a way to convert a shape to object? Or does it need to be re-drawn from scratch?

• 2. Re: Why is my fill disappearing after applying bones to a shape? 2015 CC version
            savelenf82443120 Level 1

Well I'm not sure it has anything to do with object drawing mode.....

I tried a test with something simple and had some luck, but when i tried it with something more complex i couldn't even get the bones to function. kept telling me i needed to optimize it first ....i did twice and it still did nothing, and it also said i could make a movie clip...that didn't work either. This was a very simple shape too....and i did not get that warning with the same shape when it was done without using object mode.

this is very frustrating...

• 3. Re: Why is my fill disappearing after applying bones to a shape? 2015 CC version
              savelenf82443120 Level 1

To be clear....normally after applying the bones to the shape, the outline remains but the "fill" shape disappears.

So I did a test where i removed the outline of the object and then applied the bones just to the fill/shape, and viola....it didn't disappear.

So, the issue has something to do with my outline i guess. Unfortunately i can not work without the outline, so eliminating the outline does not solve my problem.

any help would be appreciated.

• 4. Re: Why is my fill disappearing after applying bones to a shape? 2015 CC version
                Nipun Asthana Adobe Employee

Hi Savelen,

When you apply bones on your shape, make sure to select the entire shape first. (Drawing in Object mode is not necessary but if you do need to use that, you can select your shape and go to Modify Menu > Combine Objects > Union)

To help us understand your issue better, can you please share your test files and record a video illustrating the steps to replicate the issue?

Thanks,

Nipun

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Why is my fill disappearing after applying bones to a shape? 2015 CC version
                  savelenf82443120 Level 1

Nipun::

I always select the entire shape before adding the bones. This includes an outline done with either the line tool or pencil or a combination of both. I have the same issue when adding bones to an existing shape as well as a new one.

Only time i have had success thus far is when i did a test with a shape made in object mode....which i was forced by Flash to do what you mentioned above (combine objects). This doesn't solve my issue because i need to be able to add bones to shapes in non-object mode.

I can do a quick test again and try and post it.

• 6. Re: Why is my fill disappearing after applying bones to a shape? 2015 CC version
                    savelenf82443120 Level 1

Nipun::

Ok, so I set up a project. I made a shape from a line then filled it in with paint bucket, then i made a shape with the pencil tool and filled it in with the paint bucket. I also made a shape with the line tool in object mode.

The first odd thing that happened when applying bones is the object mode shape did not ask me to combine/union this time....and oddly enough, the bones worked.

The other strange thing that happened was after applying the bones to the regular shapes, they worked for the first time.

Then Flash crashed, so i lost the file.

I tried it again, but tried using an older shape from a project. It didn't work. Same issue. The fill disappears either when i try to move the shape around, or when i add a pose to the armature timeline. Flash crashed again.

Set it up again....this time i placed this shape in a new document and tested it. Didn't work again, but the result was even more messed up. The entire shape became distorted as well as losing the fill. Flash crashed again.

So, im not sure how to share anything with Flash crashing now.....