24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 6:03 AM by Geoffrey Luck

Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

Geoffrey Luck Level 1

Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly. LR will make several duplicates of one series of photos but not touch others. I have deleted hundreds, but they keep multiplying. Why is this happening and how do I stop it?

Also, every time I open LR I get a box asking if I want to create a new catalogue or use the existing one. What does this mean? What should I choose? Does it have any connection with the duplication problem?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Change the options listed here to have LR start with the last opened catalog: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html

What do you mean with duplicates? Does it create virtual copies on itself?

Can you post a scree-shot of the library where we can see this?

• 2. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
            Geoffrey Luck Level 1

Thanks for your response. First, in Preferences, I have set LR at open: Load most recent catalog. Previously it was set to : Users>Pictures>Lightroom>Lightroom Database.lrdb.  Will that have an effect - other than the query box at opening?

Here's a screen shot to illustrate what's happening. LR just loves continuously multilying Grand Canyon shots, family groups and aeroplanes in the Smithsonians, not so much other subjects. It's driving me made having continually to delete from from the disk.

Screen shot 2015-07-13 at 10.24.55 PM.png

• 3. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

First off your screen shot tells us absolutely nothing. No file names or numbers and as far as we know you could of taken multiple shots and that is why you have multiple images of the same thing.

LR does not auto create any images. The only time a second or third image is created is when you either Export an image or send it to PS for further editing.

Not only that but no image shows up in LR without first importing it into the LR database, IE the Catalog file. If you select Export or Edit In and have the option in the Export dialog window set to Add to this Catalog then they will be Auto Added to the catalog file and show up.

So something is stuck on your system. It could be your keyboard or some other device that is making LR create, Export or Edit in, these extra images.

What type of computer are you using?

What operating system?

What keyboard?

What mouse or track pad?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                Geoffrey Luck Level 1

I appreciate the trouble you have taken to reply, but it would have been more helpful if you had started from the facts as I gave them. You may not know or believe that I had not taken multiple images of the same scenes, but I stated that these were multiples of the one and only shot created by LR. There are thousands of others. Moreover, when I have removed all the duplicates (e.g.of the Grand Canyon) the extraneous multiples will reappear, and keep reappearing, whenever LR is opened again.. Here's another example of the one photo, multiplied:

Screen shot 2015-07-13 at 10.26.22 PM.png

These multiples have been created in LR without any action by me. They have been created on photos I have not worked on, exported or edited for years. I have checked the export box and the Add to Catalog box is not checked. What puzzles me is that only the photos in some collections seem to be affected. For what it's worth, my guess is that LR has created more than one catalog, and opening the program brings both or all up and merges the photos, creating duplicates.

The computer is a 27" iMac i7 running OSX 6.8 with a wired keyboard and an Apple mouse.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Following post with curiosity!

When you RIGHT-CLICK on one 'duplicate' image and choose "Show in Finder/Explorer", what do you see? Do you see multiple copies?

What File-names show below the Grid view of thumbnails for each of the 'duplicated' images.

Can you show more details on the thumbnail borders? To do this- press CTRL+J and in the Grid View tab set some parameters in the 'Expanded Cell Extras' as in this image-

ScreenShot086.jpg

• 6. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                    Geoffrey Luck Level 1

Thanks for your ideas Wobertc..sorry for the delay but been off with flu for 2 days.

No - when I selected an image and "Show in Finder" I got simply its file number highlighted in the list of files (photos). Since these were only numbers, e.g."-74.tif" and details last modified and size, in this case 24 MB. It was in  "Users/GCL/Untitled import/2006 May 05". The other copy is filed in "Users/GCL/Pictures/Lightroom/2006 May 05," also 24 MB and shows up as "Bell X-1.tif" because I had edited and named it for the collection.  This is fairly typical - all the duplicates seem to be filed as numbers which bear no relation to the camera numbering.

Lightroom seems to have filed its photos all over the place. Under User/GCL/Pictures, there are some photos, then in a sub-folder GCL a few hundred; then under  the Lightroom sub-folder the 6 Lightroom files, and about 20 folders corresponding to some of the Collections in Lightroom (with photos inside), then hundreds of photos, some named, but others merely with the camera PICT numbers. Why LR has put photos in different places I don't know.

A further explanation could be that on some occasions I shot RAW+JPG, producing two copies. However the main source of duiplication seems to be that when I edit a photo in the Develop module, the original as well as the finished copy are saved and displayed together. This is shown in the screen dumps of the Grand Canyon above, but one Concorde photo is an exact .tif duplicate of the other when all I did was name the aircraft..

As to the thumbnail borders, CTRL-J doesn't do anything. But all the metadata including the File Names are shown in the right column.

Today I have emoved more than 700 duplicates in the All Photographs collection, using the Remove from Disk tab. Perhaps in the past I didn't do that so they weren't com pletely removed. Other than that, I think the filing needs to be cleaned up so that all photos are under Lightroom.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

What other image editing and or viewing programs do you have installed?

What LR plug-ins are installed?

Have you tried uninstalling lightroom then do a re-install?

This topic, problem, has come up before and I don't remember if there was a solution.

Do these extra image just Show Up in LR or does that only happen after you synchronize the folder they are in?

• 8. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

"Users/GCL/Untitled import/2006 May 05". The other copy is filed in "Users/GCL/Pictures/Lightroom/2006 May 05,"

This would indicate you indeed have two copies of your image in separate locations.

Maybe you did a second import from 'Untitled' and used "Copy" to import them a second time into "Pictures Lightroom".  You may not have had a tick in "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates", or you had re-named them before the second import (using finder?)

In the Menu > "Library > Show Photos in Sub-Folders" -if ticked will show ALL images from all sub-folders, hence you see the two identical images from different folders.

When you Import it is most important that you set your "Destination" to folders exactly where you want your images stored. Lightroom does not "store its images all over the place"! unless you ignore the import destination details. You are totally responsible for the location of your images.

The fact that 'duplicate' images do not show a camera type, also is curious. It might indicate they are derivative files created by a plug-in editor (photoshop, Nik, etc). Doing development in the LR module should show a "Developed" tag on the thumbnail and does not create duplicate files. None of the thumbnails in you sample shots show "Develop" tags (a couple show "in a Collection" tags).

As asked earlier- I think we need more information in your screen shots-  The Folder tree, the selected folder, Titles on the thumbnail borders, etc,  if we are to help more.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                          Geoffrey Luck Level 1

"In the Menu > "Library > Show Photos in Sub-Folders" -if ticked will show ALL images from all sub-folders, hence you see the two identical images from different folders."  Yes that is ticked, which is how I could see all the duplicates side by side. Yes, the camera type is shown for all images, including full metadata.

I'll try to clarify the situation: First, properly removed from disk, the duiplicate images do not reappear when LR is closed and reopened. Removals have already saved 6.2 GB in the last two days.

The original problem might have been caused when thousands of photos in the early Lighrtoom were moved from my old to the new computer. This probably corrupted the system: it did add false names to many photos and was probably the reason many ended up in Untitled Imports. Then when editing a photo LR seems to have created a backup copy. For example in the four photos below, when I was using RAW + JPG, the information in the right colum identifies them this way.Left to right: PICT 41.DNG Has been changed/ -135.dng/ PICT 41-1. JPG/ PICT 41.JPG. The first and third images were the cropped versions of the originals.Screen shot 2015-07-16 at 10.00.11 PM.png

In the sequence below, this is a single image, not multiple exposures, yet LR has them numbered: -201.JPG/ -202.JPG/ -327.JPG and -328.JPG.

Screen shot 2015-07-16 at 10.11.13 PM.png

There are no titles on the tumbnail borders, even tho I named most shots.I don't know how I could find the selected folder. To answer eqrlier questions, there are no LR plug-ins; iPhoto is also installed. Many thanks for your help.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

Hit J twice in library to show infos in thumbnails and post this screen-shot again .. as requested before.

Better, as requested: a full screen shot where we can see everything of the library.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

As I stated before LR does not randomly create duplicate copies of files. In fact there is no function in LR to create duplicates of any image unless you Export an image or use the "Edit In" function to send an image to an external editor.

Yes you can Copy images to another folder and they will be included in the catalog but again LR does not do that on its own. Again in fact there is no included preset to do that except on importing of images.

You said you have iPhoto, you are on a Mac. Do you use iPhoto? And if you do for what do you use iPhoto.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                                Geoffrey Luck Level 1

OK: Here's a screen dump of the entire Library view:

Screen shot 2015-07-17 at 10.52.17 AM.png

• 13. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

Sorry Geoff, but just showing "All Photographs" and not expanding the Folders panel to show sub-folders is of no help to formulate an answer.

ScreenShot103.jpg

I think we have established that all you photos are on your Macintosh HD. That's the only conclusion I can determine!

You have to be looking into sub-folders to find where your multiple copies of your images exist.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                                    Geoffrey Luck Level 1

Aha I see what you want. I had never opened that pane. I'm not sure what it shows and don't know what the Q folder is.  Meanwhile I have found a file of duplicates that were created with the import of the LR catalogue from my old computer. This created a large number (5000+) of duplicates with a completely false file ending that it apparently picked up on the way. I have today found the file: Pictures>Lightroom>XXSeagateRaidLightroom and shredded all the photos in it. Most if not all had been deleted from the Lightroom folder of All Photographs but not from the disk. Total saving of duplicates eliminated is now 14GB.Screen shot 2015-07-17 at 4.00.53 PM.png

• 15. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

Now we are getting somewhere!

You can make the folders panel wider to read all the folder names- Q...  might be Queensborough or something similar.

ScreenShot104.jpg

You could also hide the folders above "Pictures" folder- Right-Click on this folder and choose "Hide Parent Folders".

ScreenShot105.jpg

• 16. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                                        Geoffrey Luck Level 1

OK that's interesting. Here's the open list.It prtoves that photos have been saved all over the place, most incorrectly. I have a DropBox account but I've never created a DB folder in LR. The photos in it were never imported via DB. The column now shows that for example thousands of photos have been allocated to the sub-folders Gold Coast and Tasmania which have nothing to do with those headings.The Gold Coast and Tasmania photos were supposed to be in their own collections. Some have been duplicated - are in Collections and their own sub-foldcer , e.g. Grand Canyon. So the problem is how to move all these wrongly filed photos to their correct places in their own collections. Can I create a collection and drag photos from the sub-folders to it?

Anyway you've taught me a lot. One problem I have had is the only manual I have is the Scott Kelby book which organises and illustrates information in a step-through mode, instead of explaining factually how everything works and the commands needed. I need a proper manual.

Screen shot 2015-07-17 at 11.07.36 PM.png

• 17. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                                          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think what you are seeing here is the result of choosing to show images in subfolders. It looks like your Has been placed on your raid drive, and then you have created subfolders on that drive that may have inadvertently been placed within dropbox. If you uncheck the option to show images in subfolders I think you will see a different behavior, perhaps more like what you are expecting.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

LR does not create folders and duplicates, except it is told to do so.

No offense, but you seem to miss some of the basics in Lightroom. And - IMHO - the Scott Kelby book is not a good guide.

I suggest to look at some of the video's here: http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/show/featured/

and here: http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/episode/featured/

and there are many other sources.

• 19. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

The duplicates are being created by Drop Box and the settings you have set up for that along with you including your RAID drive setup.

Drives and folders shown in the left area only show up if you import images from a drive and or a folder on a drive. You have imported not only your main images storage drive and folders but everything from every drive connected to your system, like your backup drives, along with drop box. No wonder you have multiple copies of the same image.

• 20. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                                                Geoffrey Luck Level 1

Replying to all three: I find that Library>Show photos in sub-folders was checked. It must have been unknowingly selected at some stage, or is it the default? The raid drive is where I stored my photos on my old computer with a HD of 120GB, when I first installed LR. The scrambling and misallocation with Dropbox only occurred after moving to the new computer. But those sub-folders must contain dupicates; they certainly have doubled-up on some of the collections.

I've spent some time watching the videos from your links. I found Terry White v. helpful, but demonstrations don't take the place of a good manual where I can look up what a menu item is for, or what a command does. I notice Terry crates a folder for each new group of pics then creates a collection for a selection from them. I don't want to work that way. I create a collection for each subject, which may be 400 photos in China or 250 of old farmhouse buildings. What I would prefer to do is create a sub-set of a collection, e.g. a collection called Europe, with a sub-collection for France, Italy, Greece etc. This doesn't seem possible, so I have to create extra collections, or have too many mixed up in the one.

A final question - Preferences has these options:

Screen shot 2015-07-19 at 2.09.05 PM.png

The 4th choice is an example of photos wronly placed, perhaps duplicated.  Should I use #3 as the safest bet? Will it be missing some photos?

Thanks for all your help

• 21. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

Hi Geoff, I've been away- back reading your thread.

Some more suggestions-

Re Catalog:  I suggest #1 is the safest bet! I do not know what a ".lrdb" file is, and the "PALIO.....lrcat" has been an accidental one I suspect by the odd folder name.

Re Collections: You are referring to "Collections" frequently. Please understand that the images you see in the LR Collections panel are only "Virtual" they are only links to your images wherever they exist in hard-drive folders.

So- Folders with images are on your hard-drive, Collections (in the LR Collections PANEL) are just lists of images that can be deleted, modified, re-created without affecting image files.

(It is best not to refer to folders as collections!)

I agree with Shootistbond007- that you have imported 'everything' including images in backup locations.

If they are not duplicates, to bring the "Dropbox" images back onto your hard-drive you would drag a folder (in LR) from the Dropbox folder onto the Lightroom folder.  eg, Dragging "Gold Coast" onto "Lightroom" would move 5872 images out of dropbox and into the 'Lightroom' folder.

Keep on learning- always something else to understand about Lightroom!

• 22. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                                                    Geoffrey Luck Level 1

Wobertc: Thanks again. Last quesstion (I hope): In the example you give of "Gold Coast", the 5872 images are almost certainly duplicates already included in the 12863 photos in "All photographs." They would have been the total at the time I moved computers. If I were to drag them onto the Lightroom folder wouldn't I end up with duplicates of those 5872 everwhere? Or is there a command to forbid  duplicates?  Or are the 5872 only "virtual" images, like those in Collections?

• 23. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.

wouldn't I end up with duplicates

Yes, correct Geoff. Notice I included the words- "..if they are not duplicates."

Now if you do NOT want all the Dropbox or "Backup Copies" to appear in the Lightroom Catalog Library, you can simply "Remove" it from the catalog. This will not delete them from the backup locations.

To do this- (with care!)

1st- Check the true location of a folder by a Right-click / Show in explorer. then close the Explorer window.

2nd- Right-click the folder again and select 'Remove' -Click OK on the Confirm dialog.

I am sure this will tidy up most of your 'duplicate' thumbnails you see in the library grid view.

ScreenShot107.jpg

• 24. Re: Lightroom 3 keeps manufacturing duplicates randomly.
                                                        Geoffrey Luck Level 1

Yes, this is going to be tricky. For example, the sub-folder Bryce Canyon has a 0 against it, but opened it discloses 44 photos on two dates. Opening in finder or using Get Info, it's revealed they are in: Users/GCL/Pictures/Lightroom. To remove them would remove them from the main catalog and All Photographs and probably the disk. I think I'll leave them there; if they're virtual photos they won't occupy space, but if they're the main photo record, they would be destroyed. I'll file all this thread for reference.