15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 4:36 PM by joshwbrown

Contribute cannot verify your connection information

pwatvu
      What does this error message mean? It tells me to contact the administrator; however, I am the administrator. What information should I know? I've already tried to remove the _mm folder as suggested in another thread, but that did not work. I can transfer files with another SFTP client so I'm fairly certain that it's not a permission issue. The server is running Redhat Linux, and Contribute is connecting using SFTP.

I've already had to put in a special firewall ruleset to allow the the client to connect (even though other clients did not have any issues). How many connections does Contribute need to make during the login sequence? The more I test this client, the less suitable it looks. Is there anyone out there who has run into these issues?
        • 1. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
          pwatvu Level 1
          I managed to get a little more information. Contribute is able to successfully login to get my home directory; however, an authentication failure shows up in my logs for the next step. What happens in the next step? Is this a bug?
          • 2. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
            AndrewDG-MMTS
            Hello,

To be able to verify your connection, Contribute will try to upload a TEMP file using the FTP information that you provided. After uploading the file, the application will try to test if it can access the TEMP file that it created via the HTTP address in your connection.

- Are you running Apache on your web server? Are you running mod_secure in Apache?
            - Make sure that Contribute can upload, download and overwrite files on the remote server.
            - Make sure that your server allows access to TMP files via HTTP.

• 3. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
              ddong
              I was able to successfully create a connection for a user on my own workstation, but when I tried to walk the person through step-by-step, she received the unable to connect message. I then removed my connection, tried it again, and was unsuccessful and received the same error message. I have full access to the Web and FTP server directories and can verify the ability to read/write/delete files through a separate FTP client. I'm using Win2003 and IIS 6 on the back end and Contribute 4 as the client.

This was an ongoing problem with Contribute 3 as well.
              • 4. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                pwatvu Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: AndrewDG-MMTS
                Hello,

To be able to verify your connection, Contribute will try to upload a TEMP file using the FTP information that you provided. After uploading the file, the application will try to test if it can access the TEMP file that it created via the HTTP address in your connection.

- Are you running Apache on your web server? Are you running mod_secure in Apache?
                - Make sure that Contribute can upload, download and overwrite files on the remote server.

The server is Apache on RH Linux with mod_security. The connection is via SFTP. Please note this is SFTP over SSH not plain text FTP. Do you mean /tmp by TEMP and TMP? Or a temp directory in the content location? Why does Contribute need to write files to TMP (?) via HTTP when the upload mechanism is SFTP? There are no associated mod_security log entries that correspond to an upload. The user's home directory is not under the Apache DocumentRoot, and is not web accessible. The connection wizard does not prompt for the content directory so how does it know where to upload the TMP file?
                • 5. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                  pwatvu Level 1
                  There is also an authentication error in my syslog during the verification step. I'm not sure why Contribute can retrieve my home directory, but not go back the second time during the verification stage. The fact the Contribute uses multiple connections is possibly going to pose a problem when connection throttling comes into play.
                  • 6. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                    SLU_LAW_developer
                    quote:

Originally posted by: ddong
                    I was able to successfully create a connection for a user on my own workstation, but when I tried to walk the person through step-by-step, she received the unable to connect message. I then removed my connection, tried it again, and was unsuccessful and received the same error message. I have full access to the Web and FTP server directories and can verify the ability to read/write/delete files through a separate FTP client.

I am having the same issue. (Contribute 3.11) Any ideas out there????

• 7. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                      ddong Level 1
                      I was finally able to resolve the issue I was having (Contribute 4 w/ CPS on Win2003, SP1 and IIS). Unfortunately what I had to do was go into IIS, delete the FTP and WWW site definitions and rebuild them. Once this was done (using the exact same settings, including virtual IP address, access permissions, etc, I was able to once again connect. So far I haven't had a problem with new connections (knock on wood).

I still don't know why the problem occurred in the first place.
                      • 8. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                        johnBZA
                        quote:

Originally posted by: AndrewDG-MMTS
                        Hello,

I've been working with my hosting company to resolve this same issue. They were inquiring to what directory Contribute must upload the TMP file. And they are not running Apache mod-secure. Is that an issue?
                        • 9. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                          livingwithanangel
                          Same problem here - I can see the directory tree in Contribute, but it gives me this error when I try to go further:
                          contribute cannot verify your connection information /folder/site/ Please contact your administrator for information.
                          No help whatsoever! Come on Adobe! Give us an error message that actually helps us! I set the upload foler's permissions to 777, but still get this error.
                          • 10. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                            iDigDesign Level 1
                            what does this mean "SP1 and IIS"
                            • 11. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                              ddong Level 1
                              SP1 = Service Pack 1 for Windows 2003
                              IIS = Internet Information Servcies (Microsoft's web server version 6)

Here is some additional information that may be of help:
                              Our website has a default home page which actually forwards you off to a subdirectory (i.e. if you go to http://www.rcc.edu, it actually does some dynamic stuff in Cold Fusion to assign the proper CSS and then forwards you to the district home page http://www.rcc.edu/district/index.cfm).

When Contribute was trying to initiate a connection, it was set up to go to the rcc.edu/index.cfm page, and create the temp directory at that level, however, when Contribute tried to read the directory, it was getting redirected to the www.rcc.edu/district subdirectory and could not resolve the temporary directory. This causes an error because it can not locate the directory it just created. I was able to get around this by creating a static page as the default page on the staging server only - we have a process which automatically transfers new files via FTP from the staging server to the production server farm every hour.

Here are some other suggestions:
                              - check to see if a new folder is created at your root web level that begins with "TMP...", if so, you have the proper permissions for the Contribute user to upload with the assigned credentials, and it is probably a problem with the secondary step of verifying the newly created TMP* directory.
                              - check to see if you can access the newly created temp directory (no files will be present) using the same credentials in a SEPARATE FTP client, if you can see the TMP* folder and can open the directory, then you should have the proper read/write privileges, you will more than likely see a more verbose error message which will help you assign the proper read/write privileges
                              - finally, check to see if the home page you specified in Contribute matches up with the location of the home page in a web browser, in my case, this was the problem and creating a static page on the staging server (and specifying this same page in the Contribute setup) fixed the problem.
                              • 12. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                                iDigDesign Level 1
                                Awesome. Thanks. Sent this on to the ISP
                                • 13. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                                  sjniedermeyer
                                  I had this error and tried everything to get it to work. I finally tracked it down to having multiple files in the website's root directory that were considered a default pages in the IIS configuration. So I had a default.aspx AND an index.aspx file which was confusing Contribute. Once I deleted the default.aspx, closed out of Contribute and reopened it, and started the Connection Wizard again it worked like a charm. I'm really glad I stumbled upon this. It would be great for Adobe to add this to their support documents for future reference. Would save someone 6 hours of troubleshooting ;)

Cheers.
                                  • 14. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                                    dtgllc Level 1

Having this same issue.

• 15. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                                      joshwbrown

I had the same problem and solved it.  The issue is that in the URL  for the home page, I had specified the root, e.g.  http://www.example.com/  The directory I wanted to modify was actually a  ways further down the tree, e.g. http://www.example.com/content/stuff/,  which I entered in the filesystem path as

/var/www/html/content/stuff/.   This broke it.  To fix, you must enter your web page address as  http://www.example.com/content/stuff/, because Contribute will look for  the temp file via the http path to find the same directory as the file  system path.   Hope this helps.