8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 10:28 AM by A.T. Romano

What is the best preset for a GoPro Cineform file

jamesd31270184

Hello,

I am new to video editing and I would like to know if Adobe Elements 13 has a preset that I should use for a GoPro Cineform Mov file in 1080p 59fps.  Or should I convert it first.  I ultimately want it in Mpg2 since my player works best with is format. 

JD

• 1. Re: What is the best preset for a GoPro Cineform file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jamesd

What computer operating system is involved? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Make sure that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and that you are running the programs as administrator. Also, update 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

To the immediate question

Project preset set by you (manually) or the project (automatically)

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD HD1080p60

Export as MPEG2.mpg

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

I can get you a MPEG2.mpg 1080p export but not with the 60 progressive frames per second frame rate.

I can find  AVCHD.mp4 and H.264.mov as export choices for 1080p60.

Please review and consider. And, then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What is the best preset for a GoPro Cineform file
            jamesd31270184 Level 1

Thanks AT.  Sorry, reponse can be slow since I cannot check the forum from work.

I am using a 2010 Mac Pro-with two quad core CPUs.  I modified it with newer CPUs.

Will the program automatically pick-up AVCHD HD1080p60?  How can I tell which preset the program is using?

No way to customize the export for 59fps?

My Oppo 83 only likes mpg, vob, mt, mts, m2t, and mkv.  It will not recognize mp4 or mov.

JD

• 3. Re: What is the best preset for a GoPro Cineform file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jamesd

Thanks for the reply.

When you drag your video source as the first file drag to the Timeline, the project is supposed to analyze the properties of that video and set the project preset/project settings automatically. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not. For the not situation, then you have to set the project preset yourself (manually) using the following steps before you import your source into the project

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

If you let the project set the project preset automatically, after you drag the file to the Timeline, go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and look at the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out). If your project preset was set by the project as NTSC 1080p60, then you should see

1080p60pp.JPG

If you do not see the above, then you start a new project. Although you can determine what project settings were set, you cannot make any significant changes in them in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

I have not found a way to get the 1080p59.94 or 60 export as MPEG2.mpg or MPEG2.m2t as I mentioned previously.

I can get a 1280 x 720 720p59.94 or 60 export as a MPEG2.m2t. See Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = MPEG2 1920 x 108i30, and then customize it to MPEG2 1280 x 720p59.94 or 60 under the preset's Advanced Button/Video Tab

Capture.JPG

Please explore other combinations of MPEG2 Advanced Button/Video Tab Settings to determine if you find an alternative combination that will get us the 1080p59.94 or 60 as a MPEG2.mpg or .m2t. I think that I have explored all and cannot find it.

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: What is the best preset for a GoPro Cineform file
                jamesd31270184 Level 1

ATR,

I worked on it over the last few days and I could not find a MPEG 2 to export as 1080p 59fps.  The best I could do was 1080p 29fps.  I am wondering if 29fps degrades the video?  Should I stick with 720p with 59fps?  m2t better than mpg?  m2t are bigger files. 

I am using Elements 13.1 and the auto project presets seem to be working correctly.  I don't need to manually pick a preset.

Thanks for your assistance,

JD

• 5. Re: What is the best preset for a GoPro Cineform file
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

JD

.m2t and .mpg are file extensions (wrapper/container formats) that wrap the video compression audio compression of the file. These files will both use the MPEG2 video compression for the HD file. So as for better, I am not sure if better goes to file size considerations. I have not done a one on one comparison in this matter, but from all reports the MPEG2.m2t and MPEG2.mpg should be, for all intents and purposes the same (barring player requirement for a specified file extension as well as file size).

Before going with 720p59.94/60, you might want to make the one on one comparison (mini test run) with the alternative exports suggested.

ATR

• 6. Re: What is the best preset for a GoPro Cineform file
                    jamesd31270184 Level 1

Hello ATR,

Thanks for info.  I will test and let you know.  I will specifically test with the player which is a Oppo 83 via streaming.  I think observing on a computer may not give me the best comparison.

I forgot to mention an issue I have with Expert view.  When I import I see the first frame and the last frame.  There is just a blue color in between.  I am dealing with one clip (I use GoPro to trim and export to Cineform.mov).  How do I see all the frames?  This is with any clip I use.

JD

• 7. Re: What is the best preset for a GoPro Cineform file
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

JD

That is a display matter only.

When you click on the filmstrip icon to the left of the video track name, you can select from 4 "video track display styles".

Keep clicking on (toggle) that icon until you get the one you prefer. Right now you are looking at 1 of 4.

ATR

• 8. Re: What is the best preset for a GoPro Cineform file
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

JD

Add On to post 7

The 4 possibilities for video track display style are

a. Thumbnail at beginning of clip, space, thumbnail at end of clip

b. Thumbnail only at beginning of clip, space to end of clip

c. No thumbnails at all, just black horizontal line running through body of clip

d. All Thumbnails, beginning to end

The2 possibilities for audio track display style are

a. Black horizontal line running across the whole audio clip, no waveform

b. Orange horizontal line running across the whole audio clip, with waveform

For audio track display style change, you toggle the speaker icon to the left of the name of the audio track.

ATR