17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 2:57 PM by Unicycle Rob

Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015

SamuelEnslin

... we just upgraded to After Effects 2015 and now i can´t get the net rendering to work anymore.

I read that watchfolders are not implemented in 2015 yet, but that I could use CC 2014 on the render only node to render projects created with 2015.

The render node is configured correctly and I can start a render only instance of After Effects.

But whenever I send a file into the watchfolder, nothing happens.

I can briefly get a look at an error message that says something like "RCF File incorrect" or something like that.

So is this just broken and when can we expect a fix?

This is not a trivial issue for us...

• 1. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do your AE compositions contain dynamic links with Premiere projects?

• 2. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
            SamuelEnslin Level 1

Nope. I actually just tested it with a very simple comp with only some text in it.

• 3. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015

What if you create a project in CC 2014 and drop it in there? (It shouldn't make a difference, but it's worth a try.)

Can you manually start it?

• 4. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                SamuelEnslin Level 1

I just did a quick test and if I send the file via cc 2014, it works.

I also checked the RCF file and the 2015 submitted one had zeros instead of ones and the html file wasn´t specified.

I also tried changing that manually, but that didn´t work.

So I guess we´ll have to revert to 2014 until this is fixed...

• 5. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015

You shouldn't have to revert. If you are enjoying the improved expression handling, snappier interface, etc. in CC 2015, keep using it to work on the projects. The key would be to open and then send that project into the watch folder with CC 2014.

Also, please file a bug report! This won't get fixed if Adobe doesn't know about it: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 6. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                    Kinetogenic Level 1

Out of curiosity, are you using any Sapphire plugins?  I had an issue a while ago where those plugins would not render in the terminal, it wouldn't give any error messages, just didn't render.  I think GenArts released a fix, but worth mentioning in case its related.

• 7. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                      SamuelEnslin Level 1

Well, I just wanted to confirm that its a bug and not just me doing it wrong, If I can´t find anything online, I usually assume its my fault...

I just sent a bug report.

ANd I think we´ll just revert to 2014 for the time beeing.

Not sure if CC2014 can even open 2015 saved projects, so always saving for 2014 would be another unnecessary step in the already tedious process of netrendering with after effects. I don´t think I´ll miss any features in 2015 so far...

And no, we are not using any Sapphire Plugins.

• 8. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015

Not sure if CC2014 can even open 2015 saved projects, so always saving for 2014 would be another unnecessary step in the already tedious process of netrendering with after effects.

After Effects CC 2014 can open projects saved in AE CC 2015 without issue. No need for an extra step. I use CC 2015 for the better expression handling, snappier interface, etc. and then use CC 2014 to render with multiprocessing. Works fine so far.

• 9. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                          SamuelEnslin Level 1

Well, thats good to hear. But I am also having problems with the previews. Sometimes the preview window isn´t refreshing or takes a long time to update without any progressbar, so thats another reason to revert to 2014. Unless thats just some setting that has changed...

• 10. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                            Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

SamuelEnslin - collected projects with RCF's from After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) should work with render engines/watch folders in After Effects CC 2014 (13.2). We expressly tested this.

Can you please provide the following:

1. What OS are you using?

2. The exact version number of After Effects CC 2015 that you are using. Choose After Effects CC > About After Effects on Mac OS, or Help > About After Effects on Windows. The version number is in the lower left corner.

3. An RCF that exhibits the problem.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                              SamuelEnslin Level 1

Hi,

the version number is

I don´t know how to attach a file here, so here is the content of the rcf file:

After Effects 13.2v1 Render Control File

max_machines=5

num_machines=0

init=0

html_init=0

html_name=""

And here is the report (I edited the path for security reasons):

Report created:

14.07.2015 23:59:52

Project name: test01.aep

Source files collected to:

X:\XX\XX\XX\test01 folder

Source files collected: None

Collected comps: 

test01

Number of collected files:  0

Size of collected files:  0 KB

Rendering plug-ins:

Classic 3D

• 12. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                                Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Thanks. What OS are you using? It appears to be Windows, but what version?

The RCF data looks correct, and compares to mine with the default settings from both After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) and After Effects CC 2014 (13.2).

Can you provide more specific information about the problems? What error messages do you get? Screenshots and/or the RCF and report.txt files after an attempt at processing would be helpful.

Note that the RCF is modified by the render engine. For example, it will not have the link to the HTML report until a render engine has begun processing the folder.

• 13. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                                  derekd47175653 Level 1

We have been successfully performing multi-machine rendering with watch folders using AE CC 2015 up to AE CC 2015.3.

While you can open the AE CC 2015.X Render Engine, you cannot choose a watch folder as that feature has been disabled since CC 2015.  However, if you launch the render engine via the command line and specify the watch folder, you are golden.

All our render nodes are Windows 10 machines that have a NAS drive mapped where our watch folder resides.  On each node, from the command line (i.e. Windows Prompt) we run:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015.3\Support Files\AfterFX.exe" -re -wf "N:\AE Render Farm\Watch Folder"

We have not tried a similar approach on our MACs, but I assume the method would be near identical.

If you have CC 2014 nodes and you don't want to upgrade them all to CC 2015.X, you can still use CC 2015.X to create projects and render them without having to save at CC 2014.  Simply 'collect' your files and after you copy them to your watch folder, edit the first line in the Render Control File (e.g. YourProjectName_RCF.txt) as follows:

After Effects 13.2v1 Render Control File

to

After Effects 13.0v1 Render Control File

Re-save the Render Control File and your good.

Note that it will not work is your project uses Effects and Presets in CC 2015.X not present in CC 2014.  E.g. CC Vignette

Hope this helps some people out.

Derek D

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                                    Unicycle Rob Level 1

I'm in the exact same situation. Except I'm getting a little different outcome.

My After Effects Render Engine (AE RE) searches, finds the collected files, then it starts to open the project (loads), then AE RE lists out the files, then it positions as if its about to start rendering....

THEN, it goes back to search!!!!? What a tease!!

I tired changing the first line in RCF to 13.0v1 from 13.2v1 but that just left the window continuously searching. At least the original version it was set to gives me some kind of action, but then back to searching.

I feel like I'm on the edge of getting this to work just because it loads the project and lists the files. One thing I also noticed is that after the name of the project in the title bar of the window, it say "(converted)".

Please Help! Thank you!

• 15. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hello SamuelEnslin,

Are you still facing this problem with network rendering? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 16. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Christ-Fowl,

Are you still facing this issue or have you solved it? If you solved it, let us know what you did. If you still need help, also let us know.

Thanks,
                                        Kevin

• 17. Re: Issue with netrendering in After Effects CC 2015
                                          Unicycle Rob Level 1

I upgraded to 2017 version and its all working now.

Thanks for getting back to me. Better late then never