12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2006 10:54 AM by Newsgroup_User

Vector path tool question

P-C-Surgeonz
      Is there a way to make an irregular shape with multiple vector path lines and then fill this shape with color? I tried this with a shape like a box but with curves and straight lines but it won't fill correctly. I did join the multiple lines together but the curved lines fill independently. I know there has got to be a way to do this, but can't figure it out. I did try different things with combining/altering the path but was unsuccessful. If there is a way to fill this shape with color as a single object, can effects be used such as bevel/emboss on this shape? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Vector path tool question
          Level 7
          If the end result is a closed path, then yes, you can use the fill
          palette to add color.

anyway you could upload the image so we can look at it?

alex

P-C-Surgeonz wrote:
          > Is there a way to make an irregular shape with multiple vector path lines and
          > then fill this shape with color? I tried this with a shape like a box but with
          > curves and straight lines but it won't fill correctly. I did join the multiple
          > lines together but the curved lines fill independently. I know there has got to
          > be a way to do this, but can't figure it out. I did try different things with
          > combining/altering the path but was unsuccessful. If there is a way to fill
          > this shape with color as a single object, can effects be used such as
          > bevel/emboss on this shape? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          • 2. Vector path tool question
            P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
            Sorry, I am new to this forum and not sure how to upload the .png / .jpg / .gif file to this website. What's the trick? Any preference on the type of file? Also, what is the procedure to close a path? One other note, I made a mistake in the first message saying that I created this irregular shape with the Vector Path tool. I actually created it with the pen tool if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help.
            • 3. Re: Vector path tool question
              Level 1
              P-C-Surgeonz,

I think you are talking about FTP to upload your image files. You need either Dreamweaver 8 or any standalone client FTP app to upload your files.

I take that it is also first time using FTP. To do that, you also need some further information on how to set up FTP information, you need to contact your web host provider, if you have any website account with web host provider in the past.

If problem arise or not resolved, please post your question in appropriate forum: such as Dreamweaver 8 fourm.
              • 4. Re: Vector path tool question
                P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
                Maybe I'm going about this in the wrong way. What is the best way to make an irregular shape, with 90 degree curves, arcs, and straight lines, and then fill this shape with a solid color (a shape like a box with just a few extra curves and arcs, similar to Nero's inner section of the Start Smart screen). At first I tried the pen tool which is great for making the curves/arcs, but when I connected the individual curves/arcs/straight lines by joining them together to create my irregular shape, it would not fill with color correctly. I then tried the the vector path tool which makes the shape and fills with color easily but is difficult to make smooth curves and straight lines. I also tried making a box with the rounded rectangle tool and transforming/skewing/distorting the shape but it seems I am limited to the amount of transformation that I would like. Any recommendations for the tool(s) required to complete this task? Thanks again for the help
                • 5. Re: Vector path tool question
                  Level 7
                  P-C-Surgeonz wrote:
                  > Maybe I'm going about this in the wrong way. What is the best way to make an
                  > irregular shape, with 90 degree curves, arcs, and straight lines, and then fill
                  > this shape with a solid color (a shape like a box with just a few extra curves
                  > and arcs, similar to Nero's inner section of the Start Smart screen). At first
                  > I tried the pen tool which is great for making the curves/arcs, but when I
                  > connected the individual curves/arcs/straight lines by joining them together to
                  > create my irregular shape, it would not fill with color correctly. I then tried
                  > the the vector path tool which makes the shape and fills with color easily but
                  > is difficult to make smooth curves and straight lines. I also tried making a
                  > box with the rounded rectangle tool and transforming/skewing/distorting the
                  > shape but it seems I am limited to the amount of transformation that I would
                  > like. Any recommendations for the tool(s) required to complete this task?
                  > Thanks again for the help
                  >

Have you tried the 'Union' option instead of 'Join'?

SKB
                  • 6. Re: Vector path tool question
                    Level 1
                    P-C-Surgeonz,

Please ingore my tip or suggestion, I must have misunderstood or perhaps didn't understand what you are trying to say at the first place. Oh well.

Happy Holidays, DWD
                    • 7. Re: Vector path tool question
                      P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
                      Thanks for the suggestion, but I did try the 'Union' option and was unsuccessful. Is this technique (irregular shapes and filling them with color) something that isn't frequently done with Fireworks? Is there another program that's better suited for this procedure? Thanks for all suggestions...............
                      • 8. Re: Vector path tool question
                        Level 7
                        You have to close the path

P-C-Surgeonz wrote:
                        > Thanks for the suggestion, but I did try the 'Union' option and was
                        > unsuccessful. Is this technique (irregular shapes and filling them with color)
                        > something that isn't frequently done with Fireworks? Is there another program
                        > that's better suited for this procedure? Thanks for all
                        > suggestions...............
                        >
                        • 9. Re: Vector path tool question
                          Level 7
                          Actually I am wrong about that.
                          If you create two parallel paths you cannot fill the middle with a color.
                          If you crate a U shape with three joined paths you can

If you create a closed shape you can.

The Pen Tool is smart enough to close two paths if you click on top of
                          the last/first point of another path.

alex

Alex Mariño wrote:
                          > You have to close the path
                          >
                          > P-C-Surgeonz wrote:
                          >> Thanks for the suggestion, but I did try the 'Union' option and was
                          >> unsuccessful. Is this technique (irregular shapes and filling them
                          >> with color) something that isn't frequently done with Fireworks? Is
                          >> there another program that's better suited for this procedure? Thanks
                          >> for all suggestions...............
                          >>
                          • 10. Re: Vector path tool question
                            P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
                            I thought the 'Join' or 'Union' was closing the path. Is there a different procedure for closing the path? I do notice that if I zoom in to approx. 800%, the ends of the pen lines are close to each other but are not exact. Is there a way to connect the multiple connection lines. When I originally joined/unioned these multiple lines, they did become one when selected, but maybe this still isn't a closed path.
                            • 11. Re: Vector path tool question
                              Level 7
                              I suggest you view this tutorial. It will show you the basics of the Pen
                              Tool.

http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=D01EF

In order to join to paths you have to use the Subselect Tool, select two
                              points you want to join then go to Modify > Combine > Join.

You can also use the Subselect Tool to drag an end point close to the
                              other end point. As you get close it will snap into place.

The Subselect Tool is the white looking arrow to the right of the black
                              one at the top of the Tools Panel.

alex

P-C-Surgeonz wrote:
                              > I thought the 'Join' or 'Union' was closing the path. Is there a different
                              > procedure for closing the path? I do notice that if I zoom in to approx. 800%,
                              > the ends of the pen lines are close to each other but are not exact. Is there a
                              > way to connect the multiple connection lines. When I originally joined/unioned
                              > these multiple lines, they did become one when selected, but maybe this still
                              > isn't a closed path.
                              >
                              • 12. Re: Vector path tool question
                                P-C-Surgeonz Level 1
                                With the help of all this forum, I was able to complete my task of creating an irregular shape with the pen tool, closing the path, and filling this shape with color. The mistake I made was not closing the path. I thought join or union was closing the path. Once I zoomed in to 800% and looked at the beginning/end of my lines and connected them by double clicking, that was the trick to closing my path. Once again, thanks for all the support!