8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 1:05 PM by Rubylein

How to export high res Jpegs?

Rubylein

I have a Nikon D700 and am importing them into Lightroom.  The initial file size for one image is about 8.3MB, but when I export as a jpeg, highest quality my exporst are only around 1.9-2.4MB.  My coworker who has a Nikon (not D700) original file sizes are circa 6MB and he is able to export jpegs at much higher than I am .  We checked export screens and everything seemed to be the same.

• 1. Re: How to export high res Jpegs?
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Size in megabytes is not an indicator of the real file size, jpgs use compression, and compression varies with subject matter and sharpness.

What matters is the pixel dimensions, if they are the same as the original, the image is the same size.

• 2. Re: How to export high res Jpegs?
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Raw files are 14 bit NEF's. Jpegs are 8 bit compressed files;so will always be smaller.

• 3. Re: How to export high res Jpegs?
              dj_paige Level 9

highest quality my exporst are only around 1.9-2.4MB.

Your mistake is that you think quality can be measured in megabytes of the file. This is incorrect. The megabytes do not tell you anything about the image's quality. You should ignore the megabytes.

To get a high quality export, you should uncheck "Resize to Fit" and set the quality slider about 80. That's all you need to do.

• 4. Re: How to export high res Jpegs?
                Rubylein Level 1

Well, I am not very familiar with all of that.  I normally print everything myself and have printed pretty big prints, the quality has always been great.  But, I never print from jpegs.  The situation is, I took a part time job and the company's lab wants the images at least 3MB.  I cannot do that with lightroom., as my images are exporting lower than that (as far as MB are concerned).  I am having to export them and then resize them in Photoshop (again I am not very knowledgeable with what is correct this is the only solution I have found so far).  This process takes me twice as long, so that is a problem.

And I do not have "Resize to fit checked"

• 5. Re: How to export high res Jpegs?
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

You should tell the lab (who ought to know better) that megabytes are irrelevant.

The pictures should print fine.

• 6. Re: How to export high res Jpegs?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I agree with Per Berntsen, this is a meaningless requirement. And stupid too.

However, if you absolutely must get to 3MB because your employer requires it, in Lightroom you would check "Resize to Fit", uncheck "Do Not Enlarge" and then type in some large number of pixels, for example 6000x4000 or whatever works for you. I point out that this will NOT increase the quality of the image, even though it will probably be greater than 3MB, in fact it will lower the quality of your image because now Lightroom has to "make up" pixels to make the image this large.

Lastly, are you 100% sure the requirement is 3 megaBYTES (which makes no sense) and not 3 megaPIXELS (which is a perfectly reasonable requirement)?

• 7. Re: How to export high res Jpegs?
                      Rubylein Level 1

OK thanks and it is 3MB.

Sorry I am not making up the rules.

• 8. Re: How to export high res Jpegs?
                        Rubylein Level 1

And thanks for clarifying, I have to laugh as I remember when I use to go to the hardware store and they would always sell me nails when I wanted screws.  I always wanted the screws but kept calling them nails.   It took several years before someone made me aware of my improper grammar!!