1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 14, 2015 9:35 AM by Szalam

downgraded AE CC 2014 is crashing whenever I try to select a codec in output module

steveo_tv Level 1

I tried AE CC2015 today and was horrified by the sporadic and buggy preview behaviors and lack of plug-in support.

I downgraded back to CC2014, which works like a charm comparatively, except now all of a sudden, when I'm in output module, if I try to change the codec, it crashes every time.

Anyone else have this? Any thoughts on a solve or work-around?

For the record, in case anyone at adobe is reading this... from a seasoned pro motion graphics user - the top AE 2015 Issues in the short time I used it are:

-Plug-ins: self-apparent, we tend to stack more than one plug-in pretty often. that HAS to work. And for the 'features' added, I can't afford to buy a dozen new plug-in upgrades.

-Previews: - also self apparent - nixing ram preview sounds AWESOME, but clearly it's not quite ready.

-Playhead: on audio preview, it only makes sense for the playhead to return to original position, not end up some random number of frames downstream. that's fine if a spacebar-preview.

-Playhead: randomly sticking to my cursor, sliding around. Also hitting spacebar, sometimes stops it, sometimes doesn't, sometimes goes somewhere you wouldn't expect.

-Sync: maybe editing dialogue it's okay for A/V to be a little out of sync here and there, but in detailed motion graphics, I'd MUUUCH rather wait, than have unreliable or non-instant first-frame sync.

(or at least have a clear option switch "sloppy-quick OR accurate-but-you-have-to-wait")

(sorry, but the "mute if not in sync" preference is just plain weird and useless)

Thanks for continuing to innovate, but this one was WAY premature.

Undo please.

• 1. Re: downgraded AE CC 2014 is crashing whenever I try to select a codec in output module
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

-Previews: - also self apparent - nixing ram preview sounds AWESOME, but clearly it's not quite ready.

-Playhead: on audio preview, it only makes sense for the playhead to return to original position, not end up some random number of frames downstream. that's fine if a spacebar-preview.

-Playhead: randomly sticking to my cursor, sliding around. Also hitting spacebar, sometimes stops it, sometimes doesn't, sometimes goes somewhere you wouldn't expect.

-Sync: maybe editing dialogue it's okay for A/V to be a little out of sync here and there, but in detailed motion graphics, I'd MUUUCH rather wait, than have unreliable or non-instant first-frame sync.

(or at least have a clear option switch "sloppy-quick OR accurate-but-you-have-to-wait")

(sorry, but the "mute if not in sync" preference is just plain weird and useless)

There is an update that is scheduled to come out in the next couple of weeks that is meant to fix a lot of the issues with the new preview system.

I can't afford to buy a dozen new plug-in upgrades.

You shouldn't have to pay for any new plugins. All of the major plugin-makers (and all of the minor ones I've seen) are offering free updates to their plugins for CC 2015. Most of those plugin updates were available on launch of CC 2015 or within the first day or two of its release.

Now, to your main issue:

I downgraded back to CC2014, which works like a charm comparatively, except now all of a sudden, when I'm in output module, if I try to change the codec, it crashes every time.

What format or is it for all formats? You might try uninstalling and reinstalling CC 2014 if it was a recent reinstall.

What about CC or CS6? I have CS5, CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all installed on my machine just in case of weirdness like this or for compatibility with clients, so I'd recommend always choosing to keep the old versions around.