9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 12:00 PM by 99jon

Files are gone but LR says that they are there?

Diana_Jul12

1)  I import my photos from an SD card into LR; going back to some of those recent uploads I find 1 file in the folder; I know that there are others so I look in finder, locate them and attempt to add them back to LR; LR says that it already exists in Lr; if it does it is not in the coordinating file.

2)  “IMG_xxxx.jpg” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?  then when I locate the photo it says that the file is already associated with another photo in the catalog and that each file can only be associated with one photo.  The pictures all have( ! )marks on them when I hit "ok" and "go to photo in library".  Does this indicate corrupt files?

I have more questions and problems but I will start with those.  I sure hope there is a solution.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Files are gone but LR says that they are there?
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you moved files using Finder; then LR will know noting about it and the original links made on import will have been broken.You must update the file/folder locations.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

• 2. Re: Files are gone but LR says that they are there?
            Diana_Jul12 Level 1

Thank you 99jon, I see where that can work when there is a file with an ! on it.  And this should come in handy, I have followed this process after reading Martin Evening as well.  My bigger problem at the moment is in the case of only seeing 1 file in a folder in LR, the original exists on the hard drive with the exact folder names (mirrored folder names) except that there are hundreds of originals in those files and only 1 in LR.  I have tried importing to LR from these files using "add" from my NAS (where my originals are stored) to LR Library,  in the end of this process no photos are added to the Library and the message is "No photos found".  (I am using 'do not add suspected duplicates').  I am left with 1 file in the folder.  There does seem to be a pattern where the videos are there or the tiff files but 0 jpeg or Raw files...again this leaves the file with a couple of items as opposed to dozens.  About 3 years of my library are in this state.   All of these photos were originally imported by SD card into LR.

I am thinking that I have corrupted files?

Thx.

• 3. Re: Files are gone but LR says that they are there?

You could try making a new catalog. On the top menu click:

File >> New Catalog

Choose a new name and save

When the empty catalog opens import from one of your NAS folders or move a batch of images to your internal drive.

Then use: Import >> Add

You will then know whether or not the files are corrupt or there is a connection problem.

After the test you can switch back to your present catalog:

File >> Open recent

• 4. Re: Files are gone but LR says that they are there?
                dj_paige Level 9

I am thinking that I have corrupted files?

Not corrupted in the sense that they somehow have turned into gibberish.

If a photo is in the Lightroom database (because you imported it at one time), you will not be able to fix the problem by importing or synchronizing. You have to find the photos in Lightroom and reconnect them, there really is no other way to fix the problem.

• 5. Re: Files are gone but LR says that they are there?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I suggest you Find the images, wherever they are on your hard drive (Using Finder and a search app) and move them back into the proper folders.

Somehow, someway those images got moved to a different folder after import. So LR thinks they are gone. Whether you did that knowingly or by mistake doesn't really matter. Just move them back to the folder that they are linked to in LR.

• 6. Re: Files are gone but LR says that they are there?
                    Diana_Jul12 Level 1

An image might help, in this particular year, 2014, there are photos missing from LR as I have at one point imported them all and I have more than 1800 photos, probably more like 18000...can check that. (however, there is another year that shows a correct count in the year folder but incorrect counts in the subfolders) This example is to show that the folder structure in NAS matches the folder structure in LR and yet the counts are clearly off.  1 photo in 2/27/14 LR and 108 in NAS.  Again, I have already tried adding these 108 photos back and LR says that they are already there.  And why does the photo have the underscore? _DSC?   I will try all three suggestions, I will try to find the photos in LR and "reconnect" them- how should I do that dj Paige?  I will make a new catalog and move a folder in following your suggestion 99jon...and shootisbond007, I don't think that is the problem but I will investigate that further.  Thank you all 3 for your help and suggestions.  I guess if I have to put everything into a new catalog in the end I will only just loose all my work?  all tags and development?LREx1.jpg

• 7. Re: Files are gone but LR says that they are there?
                      dj_paige Level 9

Again, I have already tried adding these 108 photos back and LR says that they are already there.

Lightroom is not a file browser. So, when Lightroom thinks there is one photo in a folder and your operating system says there are lots of photos in a folder, well ... that can be the indication of a problem.

However, the solution to the problem is not to import or synchronize the photos, it is to reconnect, as explained in the link above in reply #1.

To reconnect, you have to find the photos in Lightroom. Follow all five of these steps in order

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, in the Catalog section on the left, click on All Photographs
                      2. Turn off filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
                      3. Expand all stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
                      4. Search for one of the missing files by file name.
                      5. Reconnect to the file on your hard disk by using the instructions at the link in reply #1

If you create a new catalog, you will lose some or all of your work.

I don't know why the photos have an underscore in front of their name.

• 8. Re: Files are gone but LR says that they are there?
                        dj_paige Level 9

Another thought is to restore all backups of your photos and catalog file, said backups having been created before this problem began.

• 9. Re: Files are gone but LR says that they are there?

You should be able to keep all your work. But a test catalog will rule out file corruption. Have you tried filtering to search for images? For example the folder 2014-02-27 shows one image in the catalog. Try searching for one further down the Finder list, e.g. 1880. Press the backslash key to bring up the Library filter at the top of the thumbnails. Then go to the catalog tab (top left) and to search the entire catalog select All Photographs. In the filter choose Text and type _DSC1880.ARW or another missing file name.  If LR finds the file you should be able to check the metadata panel to confirm where the original location was.