7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2015 7:50 AM by A.T. Romano

Problems with playing back footage from camcorder

vaughanr12060058

I used four cameras to shoot a show. The footage from the two Sony SLT cameras plays back smoothly but the footage from the two identical JVC camcorders plays back extremely jerkily and the time gap between clicking pause and pause happening can be up to two seconds. I've spent several hours experimenting and trying to fathom the problem. Sometimes going to a later section and clicking play results in a smooth play back but this is not consistent. Trying to edit is a nightmare. All files are .MTS. Can anyone please help - thanks.

• 1. Re: Problems with playing back footage from camcorder
          A.T. Romano Level 7

vaughanr

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the project preset that you (manually) or the project (automatically) has set for this project? In this regard, please tell us what the readings are for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

What are the properties of the source files? From what I have been able to put together for online specs for "Sony SLT", you might be recording 1920 x 1080 @ a particular progressive frames rate (AVCHD.mts). Please confirm the properties of both the Sony and JVC recordings even if you feel that they are the same. For each, looking for

video compression  ..............probably AVCHD

audio compression

frame size ......................probably 1920 x 1080

frame rate 

interlaced or progressive .......probably progressive

file extension ...............probably .mts

pixel aspect ratio ......square pixel 1.0

What is your intended type of export for your Timeline?

Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems with playing back footage from camcorder
            vaughanr12060058 Level 1

Good morning ATR. Thanks for getting back to me. I must now go out for the day but I'll search out the information you asked for and get back to you later. Thanks for your help. VaughanR.

• 3. Re: Problems with playing back footage from camcorder
              vaughanr12060058 Level 1

Hello ATR

Premiere Elements 12

Acer computer with AMD Athlon 2.80 Ghz processor / RAM 4GB  64-bit using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

I am not sure about the project preset - I presume automatic. I'm sorry, I don't know where to look for editing mode, timebase, frame size, pixel aspect ration or edit mode, project settings, general. I'm not sure about intended export for timeline except that I have, in the past, burned the project straight to DVD disc.

Source files:

Frame width: 1920

Frame height: 1080

Data rate: 15635 kbps (variable from clip to clip)

Total bitrate: 15891 kbps (variable from clip to clip)

Frame rate: 25 frames / second

File extension: .mts

Item type: AVCHD video

There is no mention of pixel aspect ratio.

Perhaps the most puzzling thing about my current problem is that I videod a shorter, school, performance only four days before; I had one or two problems with some clips occasionally freezing / jumping but a quick "render" sorted those hiccups out; not so this time.

I hope you have enough info to begin to offer some suggestions but please advise me where I look for the info I could not locate.

Thanks a lot,

VaughanR

• 4. Re: Problems with playing back footage from camcorder
                A.T. Romano Level 7

VaughanR

Thanks for the additional information.

You wrote in the beginning

The footage from the two Sony SLT cameras plays back smoothly but the footage from the two identical JVC camcorders plays back extremely jerkily and the time gap between clicking pause and pause happening can be up to two seconds.

For now I am assuming that the format of the Sony SLT video is 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second and that it represents an AVCHD.mts file. No problem with the two Sony SLT cameras. What model JVC camcorder are you using, and what is the recording setting on that? Is JVC supposed to be giving you also 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second which represents an AVCHD.mts file?

This is what I would like you to do as mini test run projects...

a. Import only one of your JVC videos into Premiere Elements' Expert workspace with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline. When you do that, do you see an orange line over the Timeline's JVC file? Then go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell me what you see in the fields for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio, even if the fields look grayed out.

b. Do the same thing as in "a" but use the Sony SLT video.

My major targets are determining if we are dealing with identical frame rates as well as interlaced or progressive.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problems with playing back footage from camcorder
                  vaughanr12060058 Level 1

Good morning ATR. Thank you for continuing help.

Today I'm travelling to Scotland for an Arts and Crafts Trail weekend so I won't be able to carry out your instructions immediately. But I'm taking all my equipment with me so, as soon as I've set up, I'll get to work doing what you have advised.

I can confirm that footage from all four cameras was captured at 1920 x 1080 @ 25 frames per second (and I presume progressive). The JVC camcorders are both Everio GZ E207BEK. both recording at "XP" setting @ 1920 x 1080 @ 25 frames per second AVCHD .mts file. I'll do some more reading up in the manuals and taking some test footage from the cameras after I've arrived in Scotland and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Kind regards,

VaughanR

• 6. Re: Problems with playing back footage from camcorder
                    vaughanr12060058 Level 1

Hello ATR. Apologies for not getting back sooner. In Scotland I found no internet access available. However, I was able to try some of your suggestions. Through trial and error and by speaking to others over the phone it is now obvious to me that the hardware and software I am using is not up to the job and that I must invest in upgraded equipment  and software.

Many thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards,

VaughanR

• 7. Re: Problems with playing back footage from camcorder
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

VaughanR

Thanks for the update.

Best wishes with whatever your video editing decisions are.

If you need to revisit any of your discussion, please let us know as your schedule permits.

ATR