4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2015 2:28 PM by JBedfordPhoto

Backup photos + catalogs to Cloud WITHIN Lightroom??

JBedfordPhoto Level 1

I'm completely flabbergasted. There isn't a method to backup photos to the Cloud within Lightroom itself.

As a professional wedding / commercial photographer I appreciate the option of being able to create a backup to a secondary drive during the import process, but am somewhat shocked that there is no option whatsoever to backup one's photos or catalog to the Cloud from directly within Lightroom itself. As a CC user, I've found the 'sync with mobile' option a clumsy, pointless (sorry to the developers) integration of Cloud-based connections for Adobe. I don't ever (ever) need to take a break from my desktop or laptop and move over to editing photos on LR mobile on the iPad. Honestly, what's the point of this?

Here's what should be adopted in a future update of Lightroom, in my opinion - Simple, intuitive options that should have been released with LR CC - :

1) Another menu within the Import procedure that allows for either the backup of original resolution, medium RAW, small RAW, Smart Previews (to be rendered and uploaded during or after preview generation), large, medium, and / or small jpegs to an Adobe-managed cloud-based server.

2) The same options outlined above, available POST import

3) The option to backup a collection or folder as a catalog with the same options as there are currently available in the 'export to catalog' dialogue.

I'm aware that there are 'Publish Services' available, but this doesn't fully address the issue of being able to simply create a backup for redundancy purposes alone. Nor does it offer options to export full RAWs or catalogs.

I find it incredible that I'm not finding more of a discussion on this, what should be an obvious topic. The best options available seem to be only offered via 3rd party apps like BackBlaze, Conduit, etc...Even then, there are many extra steps involved which I would love to do away with. I would rather pay a little extra with my CC subscription to have these options available.

Anybody else feeling me on this topic?

• 1. Re: Backup photos + catalogs to Cloud WITHIN Lightroom??
          dj_paige Level 9

You might find that a better place to make suggestions for features is http://feedback.photoshop.com/, as Adobe rarely monitors this forum.

Anybody else feeling me on this topic?

Not me. Once your backups are on a local hard drive, you can simply set any one of a number of "cloud services" to automatically make copies of whatever is in that location.

• 2. Re: Backup photos + catalogs to Cloud WITHIN Lightroom??
            JBedfordPhoto Level 1

Not me. Once your backups are on a local hard drive, you can simply set any one of a number of "cloud services" to automatically make copies of whatever is in that location.

But I don't want to make a mirrored copy of my backup drive. I want to save some bandwidth, so by having the option to reduce the file size, or upload just the smart previews with the catalog would be a great option. Plus, why not deal with just one company (Adobe) instead of two?

• 3. Re: Backup photos + catalogs to Cloud WITHIN Lightroom??
              dj_paige Level 9

But I don't want to make a mirrored copy of my backup drive.

There are cloud backup services that can be limited to work on only selected folders and only make backups when a new file is detected, or a file is modified. No mirroring drives required.

I want to save some bandwidth, so by having the option to reduce the file size, or upload just the smart previews with the catalog would be a great option.

And now you no longer have backups. If something were to happen, these reduced size files, or smart previews, could not be used to restore everything to the way it was. I certainly would never touch a "backup service" that reduced file sizes to reduce bandwidth, that simply doesn't meet my needs nor does it meet my definition of "backup".

• 4. Re: Backup photos + catalogs to Cloud WITHIN Lightroom??
                JBedfordPhoto Level 1

I'm not sure you're listening to my needs here @dj_paige -

Regarding the monitoring of files, I would still have to upload about 70GB per event (each weekend) so the modifying of only the files that are changed isn't what I'm looking for. It still tears into my bandwidth limits.

As far as the smart previews go, yes, you can extract 2.5 MP jpegs from a smart preview using a particular plugin in Lightroom. It's not the best option but a good compromise in case something went extremely sideways. Creating smaller versions of the RAW files would be OK for me considering I shoot at 22.1 MP and could happily accept the option to reduce the file size by 50 or even 75%.