13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 10:14 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13  audio file

1506bigal

How do I add an audio file to a project in Premiere Elements 13

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

1506bigal

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running?

What are the properties of your audio file.

Without specifics, the generalization would be that you can use Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets and drag the file from there into the Soundtrack or a numbered audio track.

Are you having problems importing an audio file into your project?

a. if it is iTunes music, typically you should convert that to the WAV version in iTunes before importing that into Premiere Elements project Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

b. other to be discussed if more details provided.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
            1506bigal Level 1

Thank you for your response!    I am using a windows computer.  I had no problem dragging the music into the project, but was in Quick mode and the there was no reference to the file.  I then switched to Expert mode and I think that it linked to the file.    Not sure as yet.

I think it is an WMA file type.    So if I understand what you said ...in Expert Mode the project captures the music link so it can be published.  Not sure if I am even saying that correctly.

With much appreciation, Al

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

1506bigal

Thanks for the reply. The important matter is that we communicate, and so far so good.

I prefer to use the Expert workspace since I believe that you can see better what you are doing and thus have more control over the project.

There is no reason why you cannot import music into the Quick or the Expert workspace. The representation of it will be different, but it will export as part of the project.

When you import a music file in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Quick workspace, you will see

Quick Audio.JPG

That green in the audio bar is your imported music. In the Quick workspace, if you imported a video audio file, there is no audio representation for the audio as you will see in the Expert workspace track. There is no Project Assets in Quick workspace for storage of the imported file.

In the Expert workspace, the following would be seen as the counterpart of what is displayed in the Quick.

ExpertAudio.JPG

To get to this view, I used Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where I dragged the audio file from Project Assets to the Timeline's Soundtrack where you see it. In Expert there is the concept of opened and closed track. To get an opened Soundtrack, I click on the triangle to the left of the word Soundtrack.

Whether you build your project from Quick workspace or Expert workspace, whatever you build will export according to your choice under Publish|+Share/

Please review and consider. Any questions, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                1506bigal Level 1

Thank you...my problem was that when i imported music to the project, it would work until I close the music folder......  When I played the project, there was no music.    I looked at Organizer and I saw the music reference there, then switched to Expert Mode.   Then when I opened the project, it asked for a reference to the music file.   When I confirmed that link, the project then retained the music link.   Went to Publish/Share and was able to accomplish a final build.

I an brand new to Premier Essentials 13, so this all very difficult to me.  Your being therefor people like me is excellent support.

Al

Sent from my iPad

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

Wonderful news that you accomplished a final Premiere Elements project build.

Just in case mention...when you import source media into a project, all you get in the project are copies of the originals which remain at their hard drive save locations. But, those copies in the project need to trace back to the originals in the location where they were when they were first imported into the project. So, if you move, delete, or rename files/folders that went into the project after the project is saved closed, there are major media offline issues. There are "Where are the files _____?" messages to respond to and what a mess.

I say it often, but I really mean it, if any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. And, if need be, I will rewrite.

Best wishes

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                    1506bigal Level 1

Thank you,  so when are the actual files embedded in the project?    Does that occur when you publish?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

1506bigal

Thanks for the follow up.

The originals are never embedded in the project file or used. They remain "non destructively" at their hard drive save location.

It is the copies of the originals which are imported into the program, edited, and exported to file saved to the computer hard drive or burned to disc. The copies of the originals are embedded in the project file created. But, those copies in the project file need to trace back to the originals at their hard drive save location. If not, you are going to have media-project file disconnects which can be very difficult to restore.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                        1506bigal Level 1

I published my project on YouTube... The music is playing... How does that connect to the original music on my hard drive.

thank you,   Al

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Al

If you have music playing in the project that you uploaded to YouTube, my first impression is that you imported music, audio, videos into your Premiere Elements Timeline that you uploaded to YouTube. The source media in the project would all be copies of the originals on the hard drive. So, in that situation, on your hard drive you have

a. project file (with embedded source media) and associated project files

and

b. originals of the files that went into the project.

Are you saying that you uploaded the Premiere Elements project file to YouTube without music and added the music afterward to the YouTube video?

I have read online that you can do that with Video Editor there and/or something there called Audio Swap. I do not know for sure but I suspect that a copy of the original is used. But, it is not clear to me if the copy is tracing back to your computer hard drive or to a copy of the copy at YouTube.

How to Use YouTube's Video Editor: 3 Steps (with Pictures)

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                            1506bigal Level 1

I embedded the music in the project in premiere, just not sure how I did that and then published it to YouTube via premiere.   Publishing directly from premiere was excellent.  

I think that when I switched to "expert" mode, the music was embedded....just not sure.    Had to drag the music into the project more than once.

Take a look at my web site www.letow.com and click on Southern African Odyssey to see the result.....there are ten slideshow/videos all done with premiere.....the first time is used it so it was a learn and suffer effort.

Sent from my iPad

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

1506bigal

All the source media that you imported into the project would fall into the same situation as I described previously, that is, the project file has copies, not the originals. And, those copies need to trace back to the originals at the save hard drive location where they were when imported into the project.

When the Timeline of that project is exported to a file saved to the computer hard drive, that file is an entity onto itself. All references to it refer to it. When you upload the Timeline content to YouTube using the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature, you do not get a copy on your computer of the upload at YouTube.

I have found that, if you want a copy of your own YouTube upload, you can get one as a mp4 copy from YouTube from YouTube source.

If you export your Timeline to file and then export that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site, you should be able to delete that file from your hard drive without consequences to the YouTube upload. YouTube has converted the upload and references are then to the upload. If you give someone a link to your YouTube upload and then delete the link to the YouTube video that you gave that person, you do not delete the YouTube upload at YouTube.

The above is my understanding of the situation.

Great news about the great results. Great job.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                                1506bigal Level 1

Thank you for all your help....going to retain your address if I run into issues in the future.    Did you authorize raising the issue to a higher level.   I received an email with my last comment.

Sent from my iPad

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 13  audio file
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

1506bigal

Thanks for the reply. Please do not hesitate at any time to ask questions or ask for clarification on your Premiere Elements workflow.

From what you wrote in your last post, I am not sure if you are aware that this is not Adobe. Rather user to user. I am just a visitor here like yourself. No affiliation with Adobe. All the threads that I enter are on my highest personal priority to get the originator of the thread the answers needed for success.

The frequency of the Adobe presence in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum is undefined. When PRE_help team member does appear, it is very helpful and informative. But, we (users) have no idea what thread will draw the attention of PRE_help and when again.

Best wishes

ATR