2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2015 3:36 PM by williams96813794

how do I cut files and save them into different file names

williams96813794

I have some very long files downloaded on my computer that I need to cut into seperate file names and then organize them.  How do I do that?

• 1. Re: how do I cut files and save them into different file names
          A.T. Romano Level 7

williams

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

Generalizing, computer resources permitting, you import the file into a project and the selectively export portion of the Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive. In the Edit area, set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span the segment to be exported AND in make sure to have a check mark next to "Share Work Area Bar Only" in the export dialog.

You could consider the principles involved in the following where the video is trimmed in its Preview Windows and the trims save as subclips in project mean and/or dragged to the Timeline.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

Please review and consider, supply more details, and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: how do I cut files and save them into different file names
            williams96813794 Level 1

Thanks Romano for your help.  Let me give you a bit more background on my issues.  I'm very new to Premiere Elements 13, running on Windows 7 Home.  I had a Sony Digital Tape Video camera which I used for years as my daughter grew up and I'm not trying to get all that off the tape and onto the computer to deal with it.  While many tapes have been transfered in the past where I've segmented the various scenes the last 8 hours or so I just transfered the entire tape 60-120 min.  long, as one file.  Years ago I set up folders in my computer and have been organizing  my scenes in them.  What I hoped to so was to use the software to actually cut scenes and then give them each their own file name and place them in a folder.  From what I've learned Adobe won't do that nor have I found a software that will.  To me that would be the most efficient way to deal with my problem.  Once I was finished I could delete the large orginal file since all the parts would be in the proper folder.  Given that that approach won''t work I assume I can put the entire file in the edit program and manage each segment that way, assuming that it won't be a huge deal to take each segment which I assume would be a project and give each project a file name and place it in the appropiate folder.  Then I assume I could combine actual files with projects to make a final movie.  Also, please tell me this program will burn a DVD if I should choose to share it that way.  I have just learned that you can't have a album in an album.  The way I've done it on my computer is to have a folder name "Lauren", with sub folders "under 1 yr", 1 yr old, 2 yrs old, 3 yrs old, etc.  I would want to open and close the Lauren folder on Adobe so that I could view my other folders such as "Vacations" and under that would be different videos of vacation locations.  While I have alot to learn so far this software isn't doing the things I need.  Comments?

Thanks for your help.