16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2015 12:37 PM by austinjob

Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?

austinjob

I have Photoshop elements 12 editor, and am very experienced in it. I was given an .indd file and I need to edit it, so I downloaded the trial version in order to edit the file... but I cannot figure out how to use InDesign. I need to edit certain layers but it won't let me. I checked and they are not locked. What do I do? Can I change the extension of the .indd file to a photoshop-accessible extension? Is there someone who has had this problem with editing layers?

• 1. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You don’t just fire up InDesign and start using it. It’s takes weeks, months and yes, years to master it.

I suggest hiring a professional or spending a lot of time on lynda.com or reading books.

• 2. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
            austinjob Level 1

Oh trust me I completely understand... But I was wondering if there is any solution to my problem that doesn't take months or years.

• 3. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?

Unfortunately you don’t even seem to know enough about this to accurately describe what you’re trying to do. InDesign layers are nothing like Photoshop layers.

Perhaps some screenshots would help.

• 4. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                austinjob Level 1

Yes, my inadequacy makes it quite difficult. Here is a screenshot. I have edited all text and changed all colors required, except I need to edit the name of the certificate and the text underneath the name where it describes what the award is for. They are both a part of the same... layer I guess? I am not sure what to call it. Up in the top right under layers it is the listing titled "Certificate.text" and has a neon green tag. By checking and unchecking the visibility I can see that both the name of the certificate, and the description of the award, are part of the same "layer". If I change the view (see next screenshot) I see that the text of the name of the award is angled. Is this the cause of the inability to edit it? Neither selection tools allow it. Thank you for your help.

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 5.54.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 5.53.28 PM.png

• 5. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                  Migintosh Level 4

I suggest you click off all of the visibility icons (the eyeballs in the Layers window), and turn them on one at a time until the thing you want to edit becomes visible.

• 6. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                    austinjob Level 1

I have tried that... but I am not able to edit the name or the description either way. Is there some other way of locking the layers besides the option in the layers tab? Maybe thats it.

• 7. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                      austinjob Level 1

I removed the visibility of everything except the "Certificate.text" group/layer, and still I cannot edit the darn text. I have tried double-clicking, triple clicking, using different tools... with no results.

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 6.48.38 PM.png

• 8. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                        Ian Blogs Level 3

Is the text an image maybe?

• 9. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                          austinjob Level 1

That a brilliant idea... but sadly I don't think so. I can't move it and I can't delete it, and plus in the top right it says it's name is "Certificate.text". Is it possible that the entire thing is an image? I don't think so... but is there a way to see?

• 10. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                            austinjob Level 1

Ooo maybe this will help figure it out. There are multiple certificates in the file (as you scroll down) and when I remove the visibility of a layer on one certificate, it removes that layer's visibility on all certificates. Is my problem maybe related to the way that the layers are shared? Like I can't edit the name of the certificate's text because of the properties it has from being shared? I'm blowing smoke here but if thats the problem and there is a way to make duplicate the document and single one page/certificate out (by duplicating just that certificate or by deleting all the other certificates in the duplicated document(although I don't know how to do that... they are pretty stubborn)) then maybe because it has been singled out it will let me edit it? Also are all of the certificates on one big file, or are they split up in pages? (see screenshot below)

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 7.20.37 PM.png

• 11. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                              Migintosh Level 4

If something can't be touched on the document page, there are a few possible reasons. The first (that you seem to have checked) is that the item could be on a locked layer. It could also be a locked item on the document page, but most likely, the item is on the Master page.

To find out what's going on, go to View>Extras>Show Frame Edges (if it reads "Hide Frame Edges" it's already showing, but by the looks of your screen shots, they are not showing now). If you see a small lock icon on the left side of an object, it's locked (see screen shot below):

ss1.png

If you don't see that icon, does the frame around the object have a dotted line (like the following screen shot), or a solid like (like the first screen shot)?

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 9.09.00 PM.png

If it's dotted, the item is on the master page. Items placed on the master page are usually placed there because it is intended that they should be the same on all pages that are based off of that master page, and therefore the item should not be edited (or the edit would carry on to all pages that are assigned to that master). You can see which master is assigned to each document page if you go to Window>Pages. In the following screen shot, I have made three masters (A, B and C), and assigned A to page 1, C to page 2 and B to page 3:

Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 9.11.29 PM.png

See if any of this helps, and come back if you need more info, but you might want to consider Bob's advise for future projects and either learn some more before jumping in, or finding someone to help you.

• 12. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?

Getting late here but if you post the file somewhere perhaps someone can help.

• 13. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                                  austinjob Level 1

Frame edges were already showing, no lines showed up (dotter or solid), no lock icon, and if I'm reading it right (which I'm probably not) then all 5 certificates are individual and separate from each other in the sense that when text is altered it stays altered on only the one that was altered, but when you change the visibility or lock status of a layer, then they are all altered.

Here is the file itself... I'm off to sleep (it's really late here too) but if someone from somewhere else selves this problem... I would be super grateful.

It is a google drive upload and here is the link:

Certificate_US_Letter_Style_1.indd - Google Drive

• 14. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I looked into the file, several text blocks are on the masters. They must be edited there.

BUT

This document is trash: To many masters, they are the same in essence, but not dependend on one common master as it should be, not styles are used. The person who made it, did not make any professional work in any sense of the word.

This document seems to be build up like an Illustrator file, but not as an InDesign file should be done.

• 15. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can override and edit master objects on the document page by clicking on them while holding down the Cmd and Shift keys. Once released, you will have access to the text.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was the pink highlighting in one of your screen captures. That indicates a missing font.

• 16. Re: Can you edit .indd (InDesign) documents with photoshop?
                                        austinjob Level 1

Yes I can see how this document could be of low quality. This is my first time using InDesign and so unfortunately I could not tell the difference. And in response to Peter Spier's comment... Yes I am aware of the 'missing fonts'... although I downloaded every font required and added them to my FontBook and reset InDesign and even restarted my computer... and it still gives me a startup window notifying me of the missing fonts even thought they are downloaded - and active. But it is not a problem I probably won't have many reasons to use InDesign in the future.

By the way thank you Peter, the sh/cmd override worked perfectly.