5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 6:10 PM by Last Minute Video

Project Preset Question:  AVCHD vs MPEG-4 Format

Last Minute Video

QUESTION:VIXIA HF R62 Camcorder (flash memory) that can shoot in AVCHD format or MPEG-4 format.
      (AVCHD- 60i/PF30/60P,     MPEG-4- 24P/30P/60P)

My understanding of Premiere Elements 11 is that AVCHD is problematic in editing whereas, MPEG-4 is not?

To avoid any issues, I decided to switch to MPEG-4 format while shooting.

I transfer video from the SD memory card to my computer hard drive, then add these clips to a new project.

My question is, which project setting should I use?

AVCHD 1080p60 (1920x1080)     or      HD 1080i 30      or....?

If I don't select a format, how does the project settings get set based on the format of the clip I'm adding from my hard drive?

Appreciate your input, suggestions.
      Thanks!

John

• 1. Re: Project Preset Question:  AVCHD vs MPEG-4 Format
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Last Minute Video

I have not evidence to support

Premiere Elements 11 is that AVCHD is problematic in editing whereas, MPEG-4 is not?

You have to distinguish between video compression and file extension (the wrapper format for the file).

Based on my information, these cameras that offer AVCHD or MPEG-4 use the same AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) video compression and that AVCHD appears on the Timeline with .mts file extension and Dolby Digital audio whereas "MPEG-4" appears on the Timeline with the .mp4 file extension and AAC audio.

I have seen that in comparable Sony cameras, but am not sure what Canon is up to in its "MPEG-4" in the way of video compression. We will put that aside for the moment and focus on project settings.

Whether you have AVCHD `1920 x 1080p60 or "MPEG4" 1920 x 1080p60, the Premiere Elements project preset should be the same. If you are in a NTSC project, then

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 are designed to let the project set the project preset based on the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline.

It analyzes the file for frame dimensions, frames per second, pixel aspect ratio, and field order. If it cannot find a project preset for you, it gives you its default which is for NTSC

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30

In that case, you start a new project and set the project preset manually to 1080p60 according to the follow steps

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
          • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
          • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
          • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Have you actually had problems using the AVCHD choice on your camera and the accompanying  AVCHD.mts on your Premiere Elements project Timeline?

Did your recording with the MPEG4 choice look better than that of the AVCHD choice?

Please review and consider, and please consider what works specifically for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Project Preset Question:  AVCHD vs MPEG-4 Format
            Last Minute Video Level 1

ATR:

Thank you as always for the quick & detailed replies!

I'm concerned about the output quality I'm getting from a PE11 project.  I can view the raw video in Windows Media Player or VLC and it looks great.

However, when I upload the video into a PE project, perform minimal edits, render and output to a DVD or to YouTube, the quality is quite lower.
            (not as sharp as original video and even jumpy, choppy.  Example is a clip from a Little League Game... as the player is running, moving, it appears choppy).

Hopefully this is the result of me not having something set correctly. Otherwise, I get better results uploading the original clip into VLC and exporting from there.

(in which case... why am I using PE if I lose quality?)

Any suggestions/ tricks?   I've spent a lot of time on the Forum and in Steve Grisetti's book looking for solutions.

Thanks!

John

• 3. Re: Project Preset Question:  AVCHD vs MPEG-4 Format

Here is the latest clip uploaded to You Tube (using the HD 1920x1080 setting).

Trevor Home Run #1- 071115 - YouTube

Short clip, shot with the Canon VIXIA HF R62 (in MPEG-4 mode).

Brought into the Timeline, trimmed it, applied FLICKER REMOVAL and even VIDEO STABILIZER.

(didn't seem to make a difference).

I'm at a loss here.

John

• 4. Re: Project Preset Question:  AVCHD vs MPEG-4 Format
                A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Are you confirming that your video is 1920 x 1080p60. If so, was the YouTube sample produced from a Premiere Elements project where you let the project set the project preset manually? If so...

1. Start a new project, and set the project preset yourself using Expert workspace File Menu/New/Project as I detailed in post 1. After setting for the 1080p60 project preset, then import your 1080p60 into the project.

2. Then export that Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive and from there upload the video to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

For the export to file, use

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30, then, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, customize the preset to 1920 x 1080p60. See settings. Do the settings manually and not using Match Source.

John.JPG

How were you doing your uploads before? Using the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature or the upload of a Premiere Elements file to YouTube at the YouTube web site? If export to file and then upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site, what export settings did you use?

Please consider. Also, consider recording AVCHD (max bitrate) on a mini test run basis until and if you gain confidence in it.

ATR

• 5. Re: Project Preset Question:  AVCHD vs MPEG-4 Format

ATR:

Here is an overview of my system:

- Editing PC:  Win 7 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB RAM, C:Drive- SSD 256GB (Application Drive), HD- 2TB + (2) External HD (2TB & 1TB), GPU- EVGA GeForce GT640

- Camcorder:  Canon Vixia HFR62 (AVCHD or MPEG-4). 1080p, 1920x1080, 60i, PF30, 60P, Quality: 35mbps

- Capture Box:  Canopus ADVC110 (Firewire to PC, RCA cables to A/V Box to separate TV and 2nd viewing monitor)