7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 8:27 AM by A.T. Romano

MISSING VIDEO FILES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT TO DO?

prisv55880683

I am using Elements 11 to make a small video project and saving the project on an external hard drive.

I have done alot of freeze frames in the project and saved it multiple times in the process as a project with the right name and date in the harddrive,

but when the program is closed it loses all the frames I added and tons of other files,

Can someone please send me a step by step guide on how to fix this?

Thanks so much in advance....very frustrated!!

PV

• 1. Re: MISSING VIDEO FILES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT TO DO?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first think to do with an external drive is LOCK the drive letter to be sure your files are always in the same place

Search Microsoft – Official Home Page to learn how to do that in Windows

• 2. Re: MISSING VIDEO FILES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT TO DO?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

PV

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements running?

Do you actually see your external hard drive letter changing with the opening and closing and reopening of this project? Is there any indication that the external hard drive is malfunctioning in any other way?

Is there an evidence that all your saves were to places other than the external hard drive? If you did a computer search, is there any trace of them anywhere?

When you open one of these saved closed projects, does the project open with "Where is the file _____?" messages? Are all the files missing from the project or just some? If some survive, where were the corresponding originals stored...external hard drive or other?

Why don't you do a mini test run with a new project and place all the source media to go into the project in a folder in documents. Import the files into the project from there. When you save close this new project with its source media saved to a Documents location, do you still run into missing files?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: MISSING VIDEO FILES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT TO DO?
              prisv55880683 Level 1

Dear ATR,

Thank you for your timely response. This has been more than frustrating.

I am not sure what you mean by "locking" the hard drive. Do you mean to password protect the hard drive?

I did go into it and checked to see if it was "sharing" and allowed access to changes to the files, etc.

I appreciate your response, but can you clarify and can you provide an idea of how to recover the files?

I have searched on my computer, they cannot be found....

Thank you very much.

P.V.

• 4. Re: MISSING VIDEO FILES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT TO DO?
                prisv55880683 Level 1

Dear John T,

Thank you for your reply.

My answers to your questions:

1.We actually bought another computer running windows 8.1 because I had the same problem on an old computer running XP and thought that it was the XP computer. Apparently it was not.

2. The external hard drive functions great otherwise. I have stored files on it and brought them up on different computers in our network. It appears to be working fine and there is plenty of space on the hard drive.  I am not sure what you mean "do I actaully see my external hard letter changing with the opening and closing. I think the answer would be "no".  I open the elements program from my windows 8.1 computer and then choose " open existing project"  or just "open" and then the video comes up from there.

3. The answer is YES. This is exactly what it is doing. It asks the question "where is the file ___?"  Then I search and search for it and cannot find most of them. The ones I cannot find, I choose "skip"  The project then loads up with alot of blank areas with red and writing on it.

I have done a search for the files, for the extensions on the computer and the hard drive and they are not found.

While I am working on the project multiple times I do a "Save project" so this doesn't make sense to me.

4. I just did a mini test run as you suggested and did 3 freeze frames and closed the program and everything showed up. I saved it on the external hard drive in a separate folder.

I did see a suggestion online to change preferences in Elements 11 to "find files automatically" I wonder if this might help. I would appreciate any ideas you might have. I already have spent so much time on this, and I am just stumped. Thank you. PV

• 5. Re: MISSING VIDEO FILES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT TO DO?
                  prisv55880683 Level 1

I should add that after I import the video files and begin working on the project, I save it as a project multiple times and even have done a "save as".

In order to store those files on the computer or hard drive is it also necessary to choose "Publish" prior to closing the program?

I haven't done the publishing yet because I was still working on the project.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: MISSING VIDEO FILES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT TO DO?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

prisv

Thanks for the replies which all have been posted "in response to AT Romano".

Post 3. Although post to me, lock drive was John T's thought in post 1. When he talks about locking the external hard drive letter, my interpretation is that he is suggesting that you set external hard drive letter so that the drive letter remains the same even if you continuously plug and play.

In post 1, John T. asks you to search for the details. I would offer the following direct information

Make Windows assign the same drive letter to a certain external drive - Super User

I think that the key to the matter is assigning a drive letter further down in the alphabet. Please read the link details completely. Any, questions on this, please let me know.

Post 4. Although post to me, you start your reply with Dear John T.....nonetheless your post 4 relates to my post 2.

a. You mention "in our network"...are you working in a home computer homegroup or network or in school or company network or other?

b. By actually seeing the external hard drive letter changing....I meant, if you went to Computer and looked at the drives there, was the drive letter next to the external hard drive icon displayed with the same letter as when you first installed the external hard drive?

c. When you import files into the project, all you get are copies of the originals that remain on the hard drive save location. But, the copies in the project need to trace back to the originals where they were when you first imported them (as copies) into the project. If you move, delete, or rename any of the files and folders that went into the project after the project's save close, when you reopen the project you will get your missing media messages and consequences. If you store your source files on an external hard drive and its drive letter has changed (for whatever reason), then you also get missing media messages since the project's copies are looking for drive X and drive X is now drive Y.

d. You are going to need to find the missing files on the computer yourself. The project needs to be pointed to those files by you. Often the find files automatically does not work. Stay within the options of the "Where Is the file ______?" messages to try to gain your media-project reconnects. The good news is that you found some of the missing. Where did you find them - on the external hard drive or some place else?

e. Go to Computer and the display of the computer drives. Note the drive letter of the external hard drive now that all seems well with the mini test run. Close out of there. The next time you have problems of missing media in a project, go back to Computer and its drives displays and see what the drive letter now is for the external hard drive.

Please review and consider.

Thanks. Please do not hesitate to ask if questions or need clarification.

ATR

• 7. Re: MISSING VIDEO FILES CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST WHAT TO DO?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

prisv

Also, please refer to my post 6....

Regarding post 5...addressed in response to A.T. Romano.

I am not sure what is happening there when you write

In order to store those files on the computer or hard drive is it also necessary to choose "Publish" prior to closing the program?

Publish as you describe it should not have any function nor be needed.

Please clarify that point. Also, look at the project performance and save/close with and without AutoSave disabled in the Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave. When you work without the AutoSave enabled, then just hit the project's Save Button (top of workspace) more frequently before you do the project shutdown/close.

ATR