2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 7:41 PM by Bill Gehrke

What to buy? RAM ? CPU? SSD? Please help.

cc7934735 Level 1

Hi Guys,

My current laptop isn't handling PrPro. Its brand new i7, 12GB RAM, but its not playing video smoothly in the editing process. Looking at buying something more substantial.

I have roughly 200GB of 1080p GoPro video I need to work with to make a 1/2 - 1 hour video. I bought a new laptop but obviously I need something better. I'm brand new at this, and don't understand a lot of the computer language.

The price of some of the high performance gaming desktops I was looking at is between $2000 and $4000, really hoping for some advise before spending so much. As an example; will the specs of the desktop below help me? Will it make the program work faster and not freeze up and skip in the editing process?

If its helps I'm looking at the Costco.com site,(Desktop Towers) just so I can return if I end up not liking it. There are many desktops on there with varying RAM, and SSD. What's best?  Some have higher RAM, but lower SSD, and vise versa.

What are you guys running? Any recommendations and info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Clarissa

CyberpowerPC Desktop | Intel Core i7 | 2GB Graphics | Windows 8.1 Professional | Liquid Cooled

Processor & Memory:

• Intel Core i7-5820K Processor 3.3GHz
        • 64GB DDR4 RAM

Drives:

• 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 Hard Drive + 120GB Solid State Drive
        • DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:

• Microsoft® Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit)

Graphics & Video:

• 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Graphics

Communications: 

• 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Audio:

• Integrated High Definition 7.1 Channel Audio Processing

Keyboard & Mouse:

• USB Keyboard
        • USB Mouse

Expandability (Total Slots): 

• 2x 5.25" External
        • 1x 3.5" External
        • 7X 3.5 Internal
        • 1x 2.5" Internal
        • 4x PCI-E x16
        • 2x PCI-E x1
        • 8x DIMM 240-pin

I/O Ports & Slots:

• 1x PS/2 Style
        • 9x USB 3.0
        • 4x USB 2.0
        • 1x Optical SPDIF Port
        • 1x DVI
        • 1x HDMI
        • 1x Display Port
        • 1x RJ-45
        • 5x Audio Jacks (2x Front, 3x Rear)

Additional Information:

• Power Supply: 800 Watt
      • Cooling: Liquid Cooled
      • Dimensions : 7.5” x 16.7” x 19.3”
        • 1. Re: What to buy? RAM ? CPU? SSD? Please help.
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

What Computer to buy? GPU more important than RAM?

your gopro footage is probably in mp4 format. you can transcode to dnxhd or prores and it will be alot more edit friendly, possibly allowing your laptop to work. transcoding will increase the file sizes, so you may need to use a large external hdd or ssd to hold the media. if you bought a 2 core i7 laptop, those will be slow, about half the speed of the 4 core i7's. the 4 core i7 laptops should be able to edit the transcoded footage fine.

none of those on the costco's webpage are balanced for premiere, more for gaming. the one you list is close, but the 64gb ram isn't needed, adding $300-400+ to the cost. the rest start getting into gpu's that are for 4k gaming, that would be overkill for your hd footage. either way, you are overpaying for ram or gpu from those computers. the 2tb hdd may work for the mp4 files from the gopro, but for normal/larger format types, a ssd or hdd raid would be better. there are some i7-5820k +16gb ram + gtx 960 computers for around $1500 from hp and CyberpowerPC, that should work fine for the gopro footage. if you can find those at a store near you with an easy return policy, thats another option.

• 2. Re: What to buy? RAM ? CPU? SSD? Please help.
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Tell us what laptop you have and exactly what media you have, there is a difference between different GoPro models.  I have a laptop and while I do not have that much of my son's GoPro 4 footage, I do have some. I have tweaked and tuned this laptop a lot.  Maybe here is hope for your laptop.

I am editing three Sony camera AVCHD 1080 timelines with very smooth results. 

Our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) can test your laptop and we may be able to help in that respect.