13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 3:59 PM by amyb17546598

InDesign font patch not working

amyb17546598 Level 1

I had such great hopes that the patch for InDesign would clear up my issue of the software not recognizing that the Helvetica font is indeed available....but this patch has not resolved this issue.  I really need this fixed.  I have done many things for troubleshooting including un-installing and re-installing the fonts, hours of remote assistance from Adobe techs...and some hair pulling in frustration.  Is there another patch coming?  Was this patch not the one I needed and I just need to be a bit more patient for the next one?

Amy

• 1. Re: InDesign font patch not working
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What patch did you install? What version of ID? OS? Do you use a font manager?

• 2. Re: InDesign font patch not working
            amyb17546598 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response!

I just installed the recent InDesign patch that was supposed to correct font issues...it automatically came up on my cc manager as an update.

This is the 2015 InDesign v11.0.1.  I use windows 8.  I do not use a font manager....and to sound totally out of it -- what is a font manager?

• 3. Re: InDesign font patch not working
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That was not the font issue that was fixed and honestly I have not heard of any other specific issues with fonts. I know I haven’t had any.

Perhaps if you give us a complete rundown we can try to help.

• 4. Re: InDesign font patch not working
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Font managers are programs some designers use to organize and activate large collections of fonts -- they're more common with Mac users. Most font managers have auto-activation plugins for ID, and not all of them are updated for CC 2015.

Does the font work in other programs? What kind of font is it (TT, T1 or OT)?

• 5. Re: InDesign font patch not working
                  jmvrankin Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you might have a font conflict. A font management tool like Suitcase, Font Agent Pro, or FontExplorer can help. They all have 30-day free trials that might diagnose the cause and get you back on track quickly.

• 6. Re: InDesign font patch not working
                    amyb17546598 Level 1

Ok...I don't know what the hell is going.  I decided to open the last saved version of this doc from after the update (which I had wisely saved as "resave_after_upgrade".  It opened fine without font issues.  Then opened the last saved version before the font issues...and again no font issues...which is very odd because this is the saved doc I opened when this nightmare began.  But anything I've worked on since this all started all open with the same font issues.  Thinking maybe it's the save-as command giving me issues, I did a couple edits and did a save-as, reopened and no font issues.  I'm ecstatic that the font is there again but a little pissed that I'll need to do all the edits again.  I will check into the font management tools and see if that really is my issue.  It's just odd that this cropped up after the upgrade....which is why I thought it was the upgrade.  And the first half of the book opens without font issues now as well.  I think it must be wine-o'clock.

Thanks fellas for the info and assistance.  I do appreciate you taking the time to try to help me....very much appreciate.  Let's hope when I open these docs tomorrow I won't be back at square one again...

Amy

• 7. Re: InDesign font patch not working
                      amyb17546598 Level 1

And now I've found a very bizarre anomaly.  Hopefully, one of you fine gentlemen knows what is going on.

This document I'm working on is an annual book of a lot of tide and current data.  I have it saved in two parts because of the size (624 pages).  I do a save-as everyday for any edits so I can backtrack if needed.  The older versions I move into a folder so it's easier for me to find the most recent version to work on.  I have now discovered if I open a file from the older version folder it has no font issues.  I did a save-as and made sure it was saved outside the folder and when I opened it....font issues.  I immediately moved it to the older version folder and opened it from there....and voila, it opened fine.  As far as I know, I have no links involved in the save-as etc. etc.  All I do is save-as outside the folder and move into it once I do a new save-as with a new date.

And that's my story.

I really do hate computers..LOL!

Amy

• 8. Re: InDesign font patch not working

There is likely a folder called document fonts in the folder where the files are behaving properly. That’s where your fonts are. They aren’t installed.

• 9. Re: InDesign font patch not working
                          amyb17546598 Level 1

I thought AHA! Bob has it right...but nope.  The folder of Document Fonts is not in the same folder as the older versions.  But should I try to install them from the folder where they are?  This is how it looks...Untitled-1.jpg

• 10. Re: InDesign font patch not working

Not knowing what you’ve done or what’s in the other folders makes it difficult to answer but if you simply install the fonts that in that folder, that should allow all of the files to use them.

• 11. Re: InDesign font patch not working
                              amyb17546598 Level 1

I really do appreciate this, Bob.

The links folder only has the links in it...nothing extra.  Same with the Older Working copies folder...just the older file versions of the book.  That's why this is so odd... I didn't change anything before this happened (she says with hands in the air...metaphorically as I am still typing).  But I will install from that particular folder....however, I am sure it will say that the fonts are already installed because they are installed on my computer from the main font folder.

• 12. Re: InDesign font patch not working

Look in the InDesign application folder for a fonts folder and copy the files from the Document fonts folder into that.

• 13. Re: InDesign font patch not working
                                  amyb17546598 Level 1

Dang it (really I'm saying far worse things) that doesn't work either.

At least, I can now work on edits and know it will open from the Older version copies folder without issue.  Something is certainly hooped, though.