4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 3:48 PM by JimHess

How to only export top of stacks of a collection from desktop LR to mobile LR?

qoolimages

i am a beginner with LR as I just switched from Aperture.In my collections i use stacks. When the stacks are closed i can only see the top of stacks which is picture nbr 1 of each stack. Tihs is what i used to export or sync from Aperture, but when doing the same with LR i get the whole collection instead in LR mobile. How can I limit the sync to top of stacks only? Thanks in advance for your help

• 1. Re: How to only export top of stacks of a collection from desktop LR to mobile LR?
          dj_paige Level 9

If you are using static (regular) collections, you'd need to remove the files that are not at the top of the stack from the collection.

If its a smart collection, you'd need to set some criterion so that the photos that are not at the top of the stack are not included in the smart collection — for example, assign the color label purple to the photos to be excluded and then in the smart collection definition, add a criterion so that photos cannot have a purple color label

• 2. Re: How to only export top of stacks of a collection from desktop LR to mobile LR?
            qoolimages Level 1

hi dj_paige, i am using static collections in which i have all my shots. In Aperture i used to build stacks which automatically synced only the top of stacks which is the only picture that i want to show to my customers. I do not want to delete the other pictures as they can be useful later on too. And Inwould like ot avood having to duplicate each of my customer static collections with a smart collection. Is ther some kind of preset/parameter for the sync with mobile LR in order to onlybsync the selected pictures, or any other solutino not requirîg to duplicate collections of delete lots of pictures?

• 3. Re: How to only export top of stacks of a collection from desktop LR to mobile LR?
              dj_paige Level 9

I do not want to delete the other pictures as they can be useful later on too.

I am not suggesting you delete the photos. You simply remove them from the collection. They remain in the stack, and they remain in the Lightroom Library.

And Inwould like ot avood having to duplicate each of my customer static collections with a smart collection.

I didn't suggest that either.

Is ther some kind of preset/parameter for the sync with mobile LR in order to onlybsync the selected pictures, or any other solutino not requirîg to duplicate collections of delete lots of pictures?

Nothing I said requires duplicating photos or duplicating collections. Photos can be in a dozen collections, but this is not "duplication", you have only one photo on your hard disk, and it is imported once into Lightroom.

• 4. Re: How to only export top of stacks of a collection from desktop LR to mobile LR?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm using Lightroom CC 2015 on Windows 7. I just clicked on the top image of a collapsed stack of seven images, and I exported just the one image. You have to make sure that all the underlying images in the stack are not highlighted. At least that's how it works on my computer.