2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2006 5:58 AM by Chet Zeshonski

Preventing Info from Appearing on Topics that Are Printed from a CHM

RoboFan Level 1
      Is there a way to prevent the following information from appearing on a topic, when the topic is printed directly from a .chm:

1. <Topic Title> (E.g., “Using the Help System” This is left-justified and appears at the very top of each page.)
      2. Page <X> of <Y> (E.g., “Page 1 of 4” This is right-justified and appears at the very top of each page.)
      3. <Topic Path> (E.g., “mk:@MSITStore:C:\Folder\Project%20Folder\Project.chm::/…” This is left-justified and appears at the very bottom of each page.)
      4. <Date Printed> (E.g., “12/21/2006” This is right-justified and appears at the very bottom of each page.)

This information appears regardless of printer type, including when I “print” it to a PDF.

I saw another post on here that discussed using style sheets to hide header and footer information when viewing a topic in the .chm file, but then displaying it when the topic is printed. Perhaps there's a way to use a style sheet to suppress the printing of this info?

Note: My deliverable requires that I be able to print from the .chm so generating printed doc from the project isn’t an option. If there isn't a way to accomplish what I described above, I'll just keep these topics in MS Word format and include them in the .chm file by adding them to the Baggage Files.

I’m running:
      - WinXP Pro, SP2
      - IE 6
      - RoboHelp X5.0.2
        • 1. Re: Preventing Info from Appearing on Topics that Are Printed from a CHM
          RoboFan Level 1
          To prevent the header and footer information from appearing on a topic that is printed, use the following steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
          2. Click File> Page Setup.... A Page Setup dialog box appears.
          3. Remove the following codes from the Header field: &w&bPage &p of &P
          4. Remove the following codes from the Footer field: &u&b&d
          5. Click OK. The Page Setup dialog box closes.
          6. Print the topic. The topic prints without the title, page numbers, URL, and print date in the header and footer. Note: If your .chm file is already open, you don't need to close it and re-open it for these changes to take effect.
          • 2. Re: Preventing Info from Appearing on Topics that Are Printed from a CHM
            Level 1
            That's good, but each user will have to perform the task on his own install of IE. I suspect that these are the default options for each browser install. Accordingly, I suggest including these steps in your documentation if you intend for the user to print the topics without that information. (Did that make sense?)