11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 5:44 PM by A.T. Romano

I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED

hankholmes15@comcast.net

Since some time ago I can't view mpeg-videos ( mts / avchd ) with Elements Organizer any more. It had worked before. Now I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED, although I can view all video files with Premiere Elements 11 as well as with Microsoft Windows Explorer. Is there a solution other than completely reinstalling Elements ? ( There is no problem with MOV-videos).

My System is Win 64, Elements PSH and PRE 11. SW is serialized. My former Elements installation was Version 9 ( is uninstalled).Camera Lumix LX5
      I deleted and recreated the repository file in Folder .../ARA/11.0/

• 1. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED
          A.T. Romano Level 7

hankholmes

What computer operating system....Windows _____ 64 bit?

Need clarification....

Are you referring to problem video with AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression and file extension .mts?

Do you also have a problem with video with MPEG2 compression and a .mpg file extension? I ask since write that you view you cannot view mpeg videos.

When you say anymore...does that mean that you could view these videos in Elements Organizer 11 at one time? Or, do you mean that you used to be able to view these videos in Elements Organizer 9, but cannot in Elements Organizer 11?

You say that your camera is Camera Lumix LX5. Online search revealed that the Panasonic Lumix LX5 is recording max 1280 x 720 with a .mov file extension, not mts. and with video compression AVCHD Lite. Is this your camera and the file that is creating problems for you in the Elements Organizer 11?

ATR

• 2. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED
            hankholmes15@comcast.net Level 1

Thank you for your very prompt reply. My System is Windows 7 Home premium, 64 bit.

Most of your other questions are over my head but I will look up what I can and reply soon.

Thank you,

Hank

• 3. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hank

Thanks for the reply.

Please gather as much of the requested information as possible. But, not to worry. Just let me know what you do not understand and/or what you cannot find, and I will help you find what we need to move forward on this issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED

My System is Windows 7 home premium.

My present camera is primarily a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 which uses AVCD/Mp4. I do use my IPhone also which apparently uses MTS. I also use a Nikon Coolpix which uses .MOV. I didn't know any of this until just now when I looked it up.

I don't know about AVC?H 264or MPEG2.

I do not remember what worked or didn't work when I had PRL 9.0. I did use it more and easier than with my present version 11.

I just review my Organizer videos and find that the video which was previously labeled MPEG4 is now labeled MTS. I did make my movie with them and it is presently in the Organizer labeled .VOB.

None of the video clips with MTS visualize in the Organizer at this time, as the MPEG4 files didn't visualize when I had them either. The MPEG4 files would not play when I double taped them and I got the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED. Thus my present inquiry. The MTS files do play when I double tap them.

All of my AV&,MOV files do visualize in the Organizer and play when I double tap them.

I have done much less (almost none) video editing with version 11 than I did with previous versions for one reason or another. Maybe I found it more difficult? I have used the same cameras that I have now with Version 11. With Version 9 I used a dedicated video camera, the Canon Optura Xi which I used for a long time.

What do I do with the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED?

I thank you for the time and attention you are giving me.

A long time PRE and PSE user.

Hank 

• 5. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hank

Thanks for the reply with lots of useful information.

Let us start with a focus on the video audio file from the Panasonic FZ200. Those files are described as having AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression and file extension = .mts. The audio is probably Dolby Digital Stereo. I found samples of these files online and imported them into my Elements Organizer 11 on Windows 7 64 bit. They imported and displayed with thumbnails with image in the thumbnail, and play back from the Elements Organizer 11 player.

What I would like you to do is to download and install the free codec utility named GSpot, run your Panasonic AVCHD.mts through it, and then tell us what you see listed for Video Name, Codec, and Status as well as Audio Name and Status. The Status part of the information will be particularly important.

Super Quick Start

Some times GSpot fails to report the information we seek. But, worthwhile to give this a try. In the FZ200 files that I downloaded for testing in 11 and worked in the Elements Organizer 11, GSpot gave no readout for the Video and Audio Codec information.

At this time, what is the description of the FZ200 problem importing them into Elements Organizer 13/13.1? Which of the following applies to your situation

a. You can import them into the Elements Organizer, but you get an all gray thumbnail which cannot be played back with the Elements Organizer player

b. You cannot import them at all, the Elements Organizer crashes when you try to import one of them

c. Other

What I suspect is that the file has Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio, and it is the audio, not the video, compression that is the issue or, otherwise put, a problem with Dolby Digital (AC-3) in a file with AVCHD video compression and a .mts file extension. I am debating whether it would or would not be indicated to download and install a free Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio codec.

Please review and consider the above. Hoping the the GSpot readout will be complete for your file. Any questions, please ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hank

Please disregard post 5 if the following works for you.

Take one of your problem files and make a copy of it.

Then rename just the file extension of the file copy so that the file extension is .m2t instead of .mts.

Then try to import this AVCHD.m2t into the Elements Organizer 11.

If this does not work, please return to post 5 suggestions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED

The audio is Dolby Digital Stereo.

I installed G Spot and ran some of the AVCHD mts clips through it.

Container: MPEG – 2 Transport Stream, mime type vider/mp

Proposed CODEC Solutions and tests:

Nothing under Video Name or CODEC or Status

Nothing under Audio Name and Status

I then tried to import the same files into the version 11 PRE that I have . It would not import as the files already existed. I deleted them and re-installed. It worked fine. The clips were not grayed out. They were visual as they should be and could be played back as they should be.

I have other MTS Video Clips in the Organizer installed October 2014 that are grayed out but can be played by double clicking on them. I have not made a movie out of them yet because this difficulty turned me off and also I was informed that I needed to install a CODEC.

It might be useful to download and install a free Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio codec.

Hank

• 9. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hank

Thanks for the follow ups.

In view of what you wrote

I then tried to import the same files into the version 11 PRE that I have . It would not import as the files already existed. I deleted them and re-installed. It worked fine. The clips were not grayed out. They were visual as they should be and could be played back as they should be.

I have other MTS Video Clips in the Organizer installed October 2014 that are grayed out but can be played by double clicking on them. I have not made a movie out of them yet because this difficulty turned me off and also I was informed that I needed to install a CODEC.

This would appear to be more than a straight forward codec issue since some of your AVCHD.mts are now OK while others are not with the same Premiere Elements 11/Elements Organizer 11.

If I did not miss anything in your last report, all you are missing now is an image in the thumbnail of some of your AVCHD.mts imports into the Elements Organizer 11. You probably have, but I will ask anyway...with that October 2014 batch of AVCHD.mts imported into the Elements Organizer 11, did you right click the thumbnail of each and select Update Thumbnail?

If all is working except that October 2014 batch, I would determine if you could delete one from the Elements Organizer, rename the file extension of the original on the hard drive from .mts to .m2t, and then import it back into the Elements Organizer 11.

If you are not getting a codec/decoder not installed message and you are nonetheless getting sound in the Elements Organizer 11 playback, I do not think that that AC-3 codec install would be indicated.

Please review and consider and then let me know if I have interpreted your latest details correctly.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED

I just now Right clicked the thumb nails and asked for updates. All of them were updated to the proper pictures.

I'm not getting "the message" and am getting sound.

Whatever you did seems to have fixed the problem! Thank you!

Hank

PS off to get something for dinner. Back in 20 - 30 min.

• 11. Re: I get the error message CODEC NOT INSTALLED
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hank

Wonderful news. And thank you for not giving up and sorting through the details to get to your success. Well done.

Best wishes

ATR