6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 3:09 AM by john beardsworth

Files in LR after subscription ends

lkstardust

If I end my subscription to LR, how do I access the metadata changes applied to images?  A support person said that I have to export them or save them with xmp sidecar files.

I already have 10,000 images.  I don't want to re-save them, as they take up many gigabytes.

Is it so that I can open LR once the subscription is done?

• 1. Re: Files in LR after subscription ends
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you terminate your subscription you will not have access to any of the features in the Develop module of Lightroom. But all of your images will still be on your computer, and you can export copies that include all of the adjustments that you have made. When it was suggested that you save all changes to XMP, that doesn't require saving new copies of all of your images. It will save changes directly to non-raw files, and will create a small XMP sidecar file that accompanies each raw image.

• 2. Re: Files in LR after subscription ends
            lkstardust Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply. So once my subscription ends,  I can launch LR, but only view the photos, not apply additional changes?

And am I correct that if I save as xmp, I can develop in a previous version of LR?  I am hesitant to shift from my standalone LR to the subscription for these concerns.

If I previously embedded the metadata, will they get altered if I save as xmp sidecar files!

• 3. Re: Files in LR after subscription ends
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The images with the have to be imported into the previous version, and then you would have to choose the option to read metadata from file. This would apply the changes that the older version of Lightroom recognizes. Your older version of Lightroom will not be able to read the catalog file created by Lightroom CC. Catalog formats are upgraded with each major upgrade of Lightroom. Why are you thinking that you will want to end your subscription?

• 4. Re: Files in LR after subscription ends
                lkstardust Level 1

I am looking for a permanent way to catalog my photographs from the past 45 years.  My family will probably not want to have a subscription to LR as they will not process any images and I don’t want to handicap their access to my processed images, in other words, with my edits.

So, to be clear…are you saying that should I decide to drop my subscription I should import the images from the current catalog and create a new catalog in the older perpetual version that I have?  When you export/import, the metadata is imported along with creating a new db? 

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Files in LR after subscription ends
                  bob frost Level 3

Only the changes that the old version of LR understands will be applied when you import them into the older version. If you want all the changes you have currently made, you should export the images to tiff or jpg, so that they can be looked at in future by any photo program, not just Lightroom. That seems the best way to future-proof your images for the family. Export them onto an external hard disk, if you are worried about cluttering up your computer.

Bob Frost

• 6. Re: Files in LR after subscription ends
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

lkstardust wrote:

I am looking for a permanent way to catalog my photographs from the past 45 years.  My family will probably not want to have a subscription to LR as they will not process any images and I don’t want to handicap their access to my processed images, in other words, with my edits.

So, to be clear…are you saying that should I decide to drop my subscription I should import the images from the current catalog and create a new catalog in the older perpetual version that I have?

No, don't waste your time importing into the older version unless you want your relatives to be able to change your adjustments in Develop. You yourself say they won't want to do that.

When the subscription ends, the only things you can't do are go into the Develop and Maps modules, or use Lr Mobile. Your relatives can do everything else. That includes output to print, web, email etc, and they can even make adjustments using Quick Develop.

It's best not to look too far for complications. It's a simple line - you can do everything in expired subscription Lr except go into the Develop and Maps modules, or use Lr Mobile.

John

PS I agree with Bob's view about exporting JPEG copies too