3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 1:48 AM by richardplondon

lens profiles in camera and develop module

colinf34699308

Is it better to use the in camera lens profile on a canon 5d3 or the lens profile in lightroom? Will lightroom recognise that the image has been profiled in camera if I import a batch of images some with profiles and some without?

• 1. Re: lens profiles in camera and develop module
          Mandhir Bhatiaa Adobe Employee

Colin,

Lens profile in Lightroom means that it will correct the distortion which has caused to the file due to the lens shapes.

Refer: Lens profile support | Lightroom 6, 5, 4, 3 | Photoshop CS6, CS5 | Camera Raw 9, 8, 7, 6

While I don't understand what you mean by Lens Profile in Camera.

The lens profile would detect the lens used automatically if the file is shot in raw while if you shoot in jpg it might not work.

Cheers!

Mandhir

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: lens profiles in camera and develop module
            colinf34699308 Level 1

Hi Mandhir,

I do shoot in raw, but having looked into the the in-camera after your post, lens profiling applies to chromatic abberration and peripheral illumination. Whereas the lightroom profile also corrects distortion. I wondered if I could have bene effectively applying two lots of correction and actually degrade rather than improve images but this appears not to be the case.

Cheers  Colin.

• 3. Re: lens profiles in camera and develop module
              richardplondon Level 4

Turning on in-camera lens correction will only make a difference to the image data when shooting JPG. Raw images are only ever labelled with the lens data by the camera, so that lens corrections can be later applied (or not applied) in software, once the file is presented for Raw conversion - or else as a subsequent step. It is the LR approach to integrate lens correction and Raw conversion together.

It is also possible to lens correct a JPG image using LR, but firstly one will want to have turned off any in-camera lens correction option. Secondly, there are many more lens profiles available for correcting camera Raw images than JPG images. Raw is technically preferable here anyway.

If you are already shooting Raw then you can simply turn off the camera's correction. Because that either makes no difference anyway, or else merely slows down camera operation (e.g. if shooting Raw+JPG, it may take a little time to lens correct the JPG before saving that to card - but the Raw would still need lens correction, separately, regardless).