5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 12:02 PM by rob day

Copy/Pasting between apps.

garethirwin1234 Level 1

Hi.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to copy and paste from illustrator to indesign.

For instance I had a simple vector shape with some text in, when I copy and paste, all that pastes is the text in unformatted style.

The other way round does not work at all, i.e. copy from indesign to illustrator does nothing.

If I drag from indesign to illustrator it works.

If I copy something in illustrator and open photo shop, back in creative suite 5 you could determine the size that the copy would open in photoshop, as it was a vector you could open it as large as you like.

This no longer works, opening from clipboard in photoshop now with a illustrator vector will open it at its actual size with no options to make it larger. This is a real pain as it slows everything up, why did they take that away?

I am using a macpro with yosemite.

• 1. Re: Copy/Pasting between apps.
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

YOu should not use Copy & Paste in such cases.

Save the files, in Illustrator as AI or PDF/X-4, in Photoshop as PSD or PDF.

In InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator you should always import any file via File > Place…

• 2. Re: Copy/Pasting between apps.
            garethirwin1234 Level 1

Actually in indesign if you copy and paste from illustrator you have ability to change colours etc of the individual vectors which is incredibly useful and can then be put into the library or saved as a snippet for others without illustrator, by doing this you are not risking any placed file changes from other documents (for those of us to bone idle to create a proper links database).

I concede however I may have confused myself there, I think you have to change any text to outlines before the copy and paste.

Still a pain with photoshop though, that behaviour has changed from the past where you could determine the size when opening

• 3. Re: Copy/Pasting between apps.
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Never make outlines of tet as you loose hinting.

• 4. Re: Copy/Pasting between apps.
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I once thought that being able to edit Illustrator vector data in ID was a good idea and pasted some art into a series of files. It came back to bite me a year later when the client wanted some changes and I had to edit every single file instead of updating a simple link. It doesn't ake any longer to edit the file in Illustrator than in ID, but it gives you a lot more flexibility.

• 5. Re: Copy/Pasting between apps.
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am finding it increasingly difficult to copy and paste from illustrator to indesign.

The AI and ID preferences affect how Illustrator items paste into InDesign.

If you want editable vectors set your Illustrator File Handling & Clipboard preference to Preserve Paths:

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 2.50.39 PM.png

In ID make sure you uncheck Prefer PDF When Pasting in your Clipboard Handling preference:

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 2.53.31 PM.png

You don't have to convert text to outlines, but it comes into ID as EPSText and is not editable.