7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2015 9:47 PM by johnrellis

Can't save raw files to jpg with keywords included

Jonibean

I have over 1000 photos in raw format to which I've added many keywords. I am now trying to export these to jpg to send out, but I can't get Lightroom to include the keywords in the jpg files.

The keywords all have include in export on. I've tried saving metadata to each image, and include all metadata is on in export options. But each time I try I get jpgs with no keywords. I was able to save some yesterday with keywords included, but it is intermittent and I haven't been able to save any more since then.

How can I solve this problem? It will be hours of work to re-add all the keywords to the jpgs as well.

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Can't save raw files to jpg with keywords included
          dj_paige Level 9

I'll take a guess ... the keywords are identified as not to be exported in the keyword definition. Right-click on a keyword, select "Edit Keyword Tag ..." and then make sure that Include on Export is checked

2015-07-17 18_45_38-Edit Keyword Tag.png

• 2. Re: Can't save raw files to jpg with keywords included
            Jonibean Level 1

Thanks, I checked that and they are all set to include on export.

• 3. Re: Can't save raw files to jpg with keywords included
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I just tried it with one image and the Keyword gets exported.

How many images are you trying to export at the same time?

If you are trying to export that 1000 images at the same time try reducing the number to something like 100 and see what happens.

But that brings up another question. Why are you bothering to include the keywords if you plan on sending them out?

• 4. Re: Can't save raw files to jpg with keywords included
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                I get jpgs with no keywords.

What tool are you using to examine the JPEGs for keywords?

Upload a sample exported JPEG to Dropbox and post its link here.  We can then take a look at its metadata to see what might be going on.

• 5. Re: Can't save raw files to jpg with keywords included
                  Jonibean Level 1

I have tried exporting 100 or more, and I have tried exporting only one, and neither works. To answer your other question, I'm not sending the keywords out, I'm sending the photos out and need them in jpg format rather than camera raw. So I wanted to put the keywords in to the raw files first so they were in both versions. The strange thing is that it was working, and then it stopped working.

• 6. Re: Can't save raw files to jpg with keywords included
                    Jonibean Level 1

Here's one of the exported photos (smaller than I usually make them though), if you care to look for metadata. I am just looking in the "keyword tags" panel inside lightroom after I import the new files. The ones that work show up in there.

Thanks!

TakeATrip_CC_2015_006_hres.jpg

• 7. Re: Can't save raw files to jpg with keywords included
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Using Exiftool, I confirmed that the photo above has no keywords but does have all the rest of the expected metadata.  So we'll have to go step by  step to see what's going wrong (please do these steps exactly so we can accurately troubleshoot the problem).  First, let's verify that simple export is working correctly:

1. Choose a sample raw pic.

2. Assign one of your keywords to it.

3. In Library mode, select the pic and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File.

4. Right-click the pic and do Show In Finder (on Mac) or Show In Explorer (on Windows).

5. Upload that pic and its accompanying .xmp sidecar to Dropbox (you won't be able to attach the .xmp to a post in the forum).  Post the Dropbox link here.

6. Right-click the pic and do Export > Export..., using these options (all other options unchecked or their default values):

Export To: Specific folder.  Choose your Desktop.

Image Format: JPEG

Quality: 70

Color Space: sRGB

Resize To Fit: Long Edge, 500 pixels

Include: All Metadata

Write Keywords As Lightroom Hierarchy

7. Upload the exported .jpg to Dropbox and post its link here.