6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2015 9:08 PM by Ultimaweapon

After Effects always freezes pc during projects

Ultimaweapon Level 1

Please help! for awhile now out of the blue after effects has become extremely unstable. While i'm in working on a roject it randomly freezes and there is nothing at all i can do but shut off. Sometimes it even gives me the blue screen of death. I also use sony vegas and it does not freeze with that so i know it's after effects. I have a very solid laptop, the HP envy with 16gb ram with 1 tb hard drive and a GTX graphics card so this problem should not exist, I have a feeling there is something wrong in after effects itself, please help.

• 1. Re: After Effects always freezes pc during projects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Totally useless. We don't even know what version of AE much less have you provided any exact system info or relevant system (crash) logs. Pardon me, but what is anyone supposed to do with mumbling like "out of the blue after effects has become extremely unstable"? Programs don't crash out of the blue, something has changed that affects them.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects always freezes pc during projects
            Ultimaweapon Level 1

well it is late here so pardon me, but that's just the gist of it, i can't locate the reasoning for this problem because of how random it came to be. I was using after effects fine until about a month ago when it began to freezing while i was using it. In a project using movie files, picture files, and music files, it randomly freezes my computer if i so much scroll the cursor, pre-render or even render, there is a 50/50 chance it will freeze my pc and or give me the blue screen of death. I use adobe after effects Cs6 and i haven't seen any crash logs come up at all so that sounds foreign to me. I have no idea why it would do this

• 3. Re: After Effects always freezes pc during projects
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Mylenium said, something has changed. If it used to work fine, but now doesn't, something has gone awry.

After Effects isn't an editing program and it uses system resources very differently from NLE's like Vegas or Premiere Pro. Thus, I could see AE use causing a crash when an NLE wouldn't, but it's not AE's fault. It may be a hardware issue - and this seems likely based on your symptoms. Something about starting up a render is causing stress somewhere in your system which is crashing it.

Alternatively, it could be software related as well.

Try your hardest to figure out what changed between it working fine and now. Was your OS updated at all? Was any software installed? Was any hardware installed? Have you plugged in any peripherals? Have you installed any third-party plugins?

What version of CS6 are you running? The version number should be 11.0.4 or something like that. Help>About will tell you the version number.

Does it behave if you work in a project that doesn't have the video or audio files in it?

• 4. Re: After Effects always freezes pc during projects
                Ultimaweapon Level 1

Thank you for taking the time out to reply if you're still willing to help me solve this probletm after all this time it would be greatly appreciated. This problem is really started to effect my goals in negative ways, I really want to get this music video done for my portfolio. I really can't pinpoint what exactly I installed or what Windows installed on my pc but i would have to suspect that some kind of windows update might have screwed with AE in some way, is there any update in particular that may have messed with it in some way? As far as what my project looks like, it's pretty complex with many effects such as 3D, color correction, and many layers of video and music files, to put it simply i treat it just like I would my sony vegas. It Still does however freeze if i were to put a simply video in, but it is less likely it seems. there is, at this point, an 80/100 percent it will crash my computer. I also have no third party plugins installed, it's just regular old CS6

After Effects Version 11.0

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Product Name: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC

Processor: Intel Core i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz

Ram: 16GB

• 5. Re: After Effects always freezes pc during projects
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your version of AE isn't 11.0.4, then update and see if that helps. There were a lot of bug fixes in 11.0.1, 11.0.2, 11.0.3, and 11.0.4

• 6. Re: After Effects always freezes pc during projects
                    Ultimaweapon Level 1

Unfortunately that didn't work. I'm noticing though that after effects crashes most of the time when 3D mode is active and the camera is in use. Do you have any idea what this could be affected by?