8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2015 4:47 PM by Tony Leo

How can I save a pdf file to my local mobile device without using iTunes? [iOS 9 Beta]

Tony Leo Level 1

i just find out ..... I can't save a pdf file from safari or email to my iPad  ....

i can open it... But when I tap 'my documents' and trying to go back and rename the files...nothing happens.....

the file that I opened isn't in my local device .. I can't find it.....

whats going on?  Help me pls....

thx a lot

• 1. Re: How can I save a pdf file to my local mobile device without using iTunes?
          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi,

Would you take a look at the following FAQ document?

How to open PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat DC for iOS (iPad version)

The PDF document that is opened in Safari or Mail will be copied to the Acrobat Reader app documents area on your iPad.

Can you select "Local" for the file location?

How to manage files in Adobe Acrobat DC for iOS

Does it work for you?

• 2. Re: How can I save a pdf file to my local mobile device without using iTunes?
            Tony Leo Level 1

thx for ur response 1st of all~~

As for the problem, actually I already select 'local' and it shows me nothing.....

I Just notice...it might be the OS problem that cause this ....Ive been upgrade to iOS 9 beta.....so it might be some tricky bug here...

sad sad face sad face.

>_<

• 3. Re: How can I save a pdf file to my local mobile device without using iTunes?

Ah.  iOS 9 Beta. That's crucial information.

Yes, we are aware of the particular problem.  The documents from Mail or Safari do not appear in the Local section on iOS 9 Beta.

We are trying to address as many iOS 9 compatibility problems as possible before the official iOS 9 release around September.

Please feel free to let us know if you find any other problems with Acrobat Reader on iOS 9 Beta.

Thank you for your help!

• 5. Re: How can I save a pdf file to my local mobile device without using iTunes?

Hi,

This particular iOS 9 compatibility problem has been fixed in Adobe Reader for iOS version 15.1.0 (released on August 11, 2015).

The PDF documents opened from other apps (e.g. Mail, Safari) via the "Open in" feature should now appear in the "Local" and "Recent" sections.

Please give it a try and let us know if you find any other issues with iOS 9 Beta.

Thank you for your help!

• 6. Re: How can I save a pdf file to my local mobile device without using iTunes?
                  Tony Leo Level 1

thank you so much for the reply !

and I have tried this issue, it truly has been fixed, my pleasure

but hum....one more small problem, I should have mention it in this post at the first time....sorry about that.

That is the cloud service doesn't work with Local files synchronously, if I already have some files in the cloud and have no file in my local device, when I tap a file in the 'Documents Cloud' , and then check back my local , it shows me nothing....doesnt have the file that I just opened.

i know Microsoft Office does this way...but I do remember before iOS 9 , Adobe reader (aka. Adobe Acrobat now) didnt work this way... When I open a file in my cloud, it would downloaded to my local device 1st, so if I check it back, the file would appeared in my Local tab.

is it my iOS 9 problem? Or it suppose to work like this?

thx for ur response again

• 7. Re: How can I save a pdf file to my local mobile device without using iTunes? [iOS 9 Beta]

Hi,

Let me see if I can explain different scenarios using "Sample.pdf" as an example.

Scenario 1: Downloading Sample.pdf from Adobe Document Cloud to your iPad/iPhone

Sample.pdf appears in the Document Cloud section.

When you tap to open Sample.pdf from Document Cloud, Acrobat Reader for iOS will download a temporary copy (cache) of Sample.pdf to the local storage on your iPad/iPhone.  But this temporary copy of Sample.pdf will not appear in the Local section.  Because it's not a downloaded document that persists on your iPad/iPhone permanently. Instead, it will appear in the Recent section.

You may happen to have two PDF documents with the same file name in Document Cloud and Local.  But Acrobat Reader treats them as separate documents and does not automatically keep them in sync.

Scenario 2: Uploading Sample.pdf from your iPad/iPhone to Adobe Document Cloud

Sample.pdf appears in the Local section first.

When you open the local Sample.pdf document, tap the Share icon, and select "Save to Document Cloud", Acrobat Reader for iOS will upload the copy of the document to Adobe Document Cloud.

The cloud Sample.pdf appears in the Document Cloud section, and the local Sample.pdf still appears in the Local section.

Both Sample.pdf documents appear in the Recent section.  But the cloud Sample.pdf shows the cloud icon.

Recent.png

If you intend to make any changes (adding annotations, filling out forms, etc.) to a PDF document, it would be a good idea to check where the PDF document is stored (cloud vs. local) first.

As far as I know, this is the expected behavior.  It is certainly not a new problem that is specific to iOS 9.

However, there was a change in Acrobat Reader for iOS that may be causing the confusion.  The default file location shown in Acrobat Reader for iOS has been changed from Recent to Local since version 15.0.1.

In Acrobat Reader for iOS version 15.0 or older, the default file location was Recent (a.k.a. Recents).  In version 15.0.1 or newer, the default location is Local.

Please feel free to ask us more questions if something is still unclear.

Thank you for your inquiry!

• 8. Re: How can I save a pdf file to my local mobile device without using iTunes? [iOS 9 Beta]
                      Tony Leo Level 1

Thanks for ur very detailed description ~

I was wrong about the cloud service, that's my problem....sry to bother u....

now I'm clear, thanks to ur reply, it truly helps me a lot.

btw....believe it or not....this is the most detailed explanation that I've ever seen from the staffs~

thumbs up for u !