8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2015 6:40 AM by A.T. Romano

I cant close the gap!

alexw10828148

Hello I cant seem to close the gap when I move a clip to another location on the timeline it wont let me select "Delete and Close Gap" when I go to the empty space can someone please help?

Regards

Alex

• 1. Re: I cant close the gap!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Please describe the structure of the Timeline tracks content involved in this Delete and Close Gap matter.

a. do you have files in track above and below the place where you want to close the gap?

b. other scenarios where Delete Close Gap will not work and you need to close the gap with the mouse cursor - one example

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Delete and Close Gap Failures

Please review and consider and supply more details. For a more customized answer, please post a screenshot of your opened tracks so that we can evaluate the gap in context with the files above and below it.

The specified item was not found.

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I cant close the gap!
            alexw10828148 Level 1

Hi!

I am using Premiere Elements 13. The highlighted clip is the one I want to move. They are all still photos. There is an Adjustment layer above the clip but I don't know what to do with it!

Capture.PNGi

Capture2.PNG

• 3. Re: I cant close the gap!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

alexw

Thanks for the reply and the screenshots.

I set up Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor tracks with Timeline content structure comparable to yours.

I had no problems with Delete and Close Gap if

a. I right clicked your highlighted clip and selected Delete and Close Gap from the pop up menu that appears

or

b. If I highlighted/selected that clip and went to Edit Menu/Delete and Close Gap.

When I did that the whole body of clips (video track 1, 2, and 3 content) moved as one to the left.

Is that what you have been doing and found that it does not work for you?

As a workaround, can you with your mouse cursor draw a rectangle around v1, 2, 3 content to the right of the gap to select all those clips and then click and drag any where in the selection to move the group to the left to close the gap?

Is there anything missing in the description of your situation...for example, is there no other file above your highlighted clip on Video 6, 7, 8.... If there were a clip above it, then the Delete and Close Gap in the space would not work. Do you have anything on the Soundtrack which I cannot see in your screenshot. In the right spot, that could be the cause. Please see details in blog post link posted previously to see if any of that applies to your situation.

I will revisit your thread in the morning morning.

Please review and consider the above, supply more details, and then we can discuss this further.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: I cant close the gap!
                alexw10828148 Level 1

Hi ATR

There is no soundtrack or Video's 678. I can move the highlighted clip to another area however I can't then close the gap it leaves by either right clicking or using the menu. I tried to highlight a rectangular section to then move all across to close the gap and I can't do that either.

Please let me know if there is any more information I can supply you!

Regards

Alex

• 5. Re: I cant close the gap!
                  alexw10828148 Level 1

Hi Again ATR I have worked out if I remove the Adjustment Layers I can move the clip elsewhere and close the gap using the right click. I just have to re-add in the Adjustment layers later!

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards

Alex

• 6. Re: I cant close the gap!
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex

Great news. Great job.

Interesting outcome. I matched your setup, even with the Adjustment Layers and was still able to Delete and Close Gap.

Out of curiosity, I will take another look at this in the morning morning.

But, right now I am very pleased to learn of your success.

Best wishes

ATR

After thought....

gap.JPG

You wrote

The highlighted clip is the one I want to move. They are all still photos. There is an Adjustment layer above the clip but I don't know what to do with it!

I focused on "The highlighted clip is the one I want to move." and consequently be left with a gap that you wanted to close.

• 7. Re: I cant close the gap!
                      alexw10828148 Level 1

Maybe its not the same as your demo because I created my Expert Timeline from a Video Story?

• 8. Re: I cant close the gap!
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Alex

Good morning.

I will take a look at that factor later in the day.

Thanks.

ATR